+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 518 of 922 FirstFirst ... 18418468508516517518519520528568618 ... LastLast
Results 5,171 to 5,180 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Phase 2 is probably costed on the basis of EU money subsidising it in some way: which all of a sudden isn't going to be there, so bail out!! ��

I've never understood why anyone would want to get to Birmingham a few minutes quicker, still less having the transit to places further north sped up.
    Isn't the London - Manchester time supposed to reduce from 2 hours to 1 hour on HS2? That's not a few minutes.

What about HS2 being the basis of the Northern Powerhouse... or will all the money be spent on bloody Southerners again?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Isn't the London - Manchester time supposed to reduce from 2 hours to 1 hour on HS2? That's not a few minutes.

What about HS2 being the basis of the Northern Powerhouse... or will all the money be spent on bloody Southerners again?
    We need it to help us prop up the north

I think I'd heard the London Birmingham journey was 20 minutes quicker, maybe Manchester more. But my point us, what does it matter? Billions of pounds, environmental damage, destruction of woodlands so you can get somewhere a bit quicker. Bloody stupid when the rest of the network is strapped for cash. What are you going to do with those extra minutes, or even that hour? It's saving time for the ske of it.

Get to Euston quicker at vast cost then get stuck in congestion trying to get across London to your meeting and lose that time saved?

I only like the idea of getting away from London quicker. Dog hole

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    I only like the idea of getting away from London quicker. Dog hole
    Easy there my little furry friend.. surely all you dogs live in a hole called Nottingham?

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    We need it to help us prop up the north

I went north once... Overrated..

OK. Let's forget the nuances of how much time might be saved etc. Surely, the whole point of HS2 was to help kickstart the "Northern Powerhouse" to make the Midlands and the North more productive, more prosperous. To improve life there, basically. It is, after all, the North and the Midlands that have been the hardest hit by the Tory destruction of the UK's manufacturing industry.

Are the Tories now saying the Midlands and the North aren't worth regenerating? That's what it sounds like.

I’m with GP on this one. Even if HS2 would cut the journey times from London to Birmingham and Manchester by as much as MA suggests how is that going to ‘kickstart’ the Northern Powerhouse?
    Is an hour here or there going to make that much difference? Surely a vast amount of high powered meetings now are conducted by video link conference calls. Maybe if they spent a fraction of the money on sorting the internet connection out on existing trains as well as making them more comfortable, safe and reliable the problem would be solved.

P.S. Tricky, my point was that your Labour bashing comment originated from 1965!
    Last edited by ramAnag; 22-08-2019 at 07:26 AM.

And what is this "Powerhouse" anyway? Sounds like a battery retailer?

Surely no one is suggesting the rebuilding of our manufacturing industry? That's a long lost cause

I genuinely don't get how, a slightly quicker railway can significantly help develop regional growth

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    OK. Let's forget the nuances of how much time might be saved etc. Surely, the whole point of HS2 was to help kickstart the "Northern Powerhouse" to make the Midlands and the North more productive, more prosperous. To improve life there, basically. It is, after all, the North and the Midlands that have been the hardest hit by the Tory destruction of the UK's manufacturing industry.

Are the Tories now saying the Midlands and the North aren't worth regenerating? That's what it sounds like.
    It's not just the speed, it is also capacity as well. It will take inter city trains off the main line network and free up space for better services between northern cities.
    It will (has) generated jobs and stability for a lot of workers. Local businesses will benefit from supporting the project.
    Our rail system is victorian, we need to do something. Why are we so anti investment?

Page 518 of 922 FirstFirst ... 18418468508516517518519520528568618 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)