+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 609 of 922 FirstFirst ... 109509559599607608609610611619659709 ... LastLast
Results 6,081 to 6,090 of 9220

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    easy, the mine workers strikes are a classic example.
    They weren't about workers rights in effect it was about destabilising office.
    The very fact of who they tie themselves to and push agendas tells you that.

Corbyn is a classic example of a man who wanted the top job, working to a tune played by unions.
    Tricky you are quoting the miners strikes . But they are only one extreme example There are companies and unions working in harmony with each other all the time. For the good of both sides As for the miners strikes the 1972 one against the Heath government was purely about money which they eventually won The 1984 one started out about pit closures but foolishly went ahead without a national ballot You could hardly class it as destabilising office I see your not saying anything about Thatchers use of the police to try and break a strike Despite four different chief constables calling for a public enquiry into Orgreave 35years on were still waiting Theresa May even rejected it again in 2016 As for Corbyn having to work to the tune of the union's of course he has to a certain extent they are the largest donaters to his party That's no different to Johnson doing what big business donaters tell him . Hence he makes himself look a prat on a JCB wonder why

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I anticipated a Scrooge like and mischief making homily from you Geoff but I think your points are largely well made.

I can agree with much of what you say but ultimately as long as workers need protection there will be a need for Unions.

Is striking an ‘abuse of power’? Clearly it depends on how justified the strike is, but it will inevitably be the customer who seems to suffer because the customer is the source of profit which the employees enable the employer to access.
    Inalienable right? Probably not and I thought there was already legislation in place as regards that particular aspect.
    Its christmas, so its time for scrooge like mischief making!

I'm not going to get into a big fight over the expression "source of profit which the employees enable the employer to access" but simply rest on the observation that those employees are simply part of that profit generation process. But so are finance, investment, capital assets, IT, capital risk, intellectual property and many other factors. But the weak link is always the human element.

Perhaps it is time for that human element to sit back and think about how indispensible they actually are. Driverless vehicles, automation of process, robotics, AI, CAD, blockchain etc can replace most of the functionality of humans in both an industrial setting and a clerical setting. How long is there a continuing need for unskilled labour (is there even any now?)? Or even semi skilled, or yet skilled or professional labour. I think I will outlast the automation of my own functionality, but how long will it be before there are no jobs for anyone because AI has taken over everything? 10 years, 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Why should workers have any rights? Obviously they should have a secure and safe environment to carry out their job, but beyond that?

There is my merry thought for you to wrangle over during Christmas?
    So you'd be perfectly happy for people in hugely, physically, demanding jobs to work until they are 90 ?? Or even longer?

Hmm, not sure I get that non sequitor

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Tricky you are quoting the miners strikes . But they are only one extreme example There are companies and unions working in harmony with each other all the time. For the good of both sides As for the miners strikes the 1972 one against the Heath government was purely about money which they eventually won The 1984 one started out about pit closures but foolishly went ahead without a national ballot You could hardly class it as destabilising office I see your not saying anything about Thatchers use of the police to try and break a strike Despite four different chief constables calling for a public enquiry into Orgreave 35years on were still waiting Theresa May even rejected it again in 2016 As for Corbyn having to work to the tune of the union's of course he has to a certain extent they are the largest donaters to his party That's no different to Johnson doing what big business donaters tell him . Hence he makes himself look a prat on a JCB wonder why
    Well said, mista.

I’m not looking for a ‘big argument’, Geoff.

The question of how dispensable human labour is is an interesting one. Think we’ve been here before with Swale who has a different ‘take’ on it.
    My own...having worked for many years with school leavers who would have been the first to be replaced by AI...is that human beings are sometimes irreplaceable and that society has to be ready for having such large numbers of possibly the less able having infinitely more time on their hands.

To illustrate the benefit of humans over technology I offer you the example of one man buses. When you and I were growing up every bus would have a driver and a conductor. Then (in the seventies?) the conductors were replaced by technology which presumably halved the number of people who needed to be employed but also simultaneously ruined the ‘service’ in so much as it now takes about ten times as long for passengers to board the bus and the passengers now appear at greater risk from poor behaviour because there is no longer any member of staff in any sort of supervisory capacity.

Beyond that I suppose we all like to think of a world free from work but do we really want constant leisure? There were many days during my working life when I may have answered in the affirmative to that but there’s also sense in the notion that ‘the devil makes work for idle hands’...and idle, poorer hands in particular.

Complex problem in rapidly changing times...maybe Corbyn’s three day week wasn’t as daft as was made out.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 20-12-2019 at 04:56 PM.

Ive often thought that the 3 day week is a probability for the immediate future, for all those but the self employed, as tech takes over the workplace. The problem that I had was with the additional Corbyn element of "for the same wages as 5 days". In effect an immediate 40% whack of wage led inflation, albeit offset by some economies of scale from the tech - which of course also has to be paid for, and would also pressurise end user prices.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Well said, mista.

I’m not looking for a ‘big argument’, Geoff.

The question of how dispensable human labour is is an interesting one. Think we’ve been here before with Swale who has a different ‘take’ on it.
    My own...having worked for many years with school leavers who would have been the first to be replaced by AI...is that human beings are sometimes irreplaceable and that society has to be ready for having such large numbers of possibly the less able having infinitely more time on their hands.

To illustrate the benefit of humans over technology I offer you the example of one man buses. When you and I were growing up every bus would have a driver and a conductor. Then (in the seventies?) the conductors were replaced by technology which presumably halved the number of people who needed to be employed but also simultaneously ruined the ‘service’ in so much as it now takes about ten times as long for passengers to board the bus and the passengers now appear at greater risk from poor behaviour because there is no longer any member of staff in any sort of supervisory capacity.

Beyond that I suppose we all like to think of a world free from work but do we really want constant leisure? There were many days during my working life when I may have answered in the affirmative to that but there’s also sense in the notion that ‘the devil makes work for idle hands’...and idle, poorer hands in particular.

Complex problem in rapidly changing times...maybe Corbyn’s three day week wasn’t as daft as was made out.
    RA Not really sure any of it is correct about humans becoming indispensable Remember we had it all with robots, then the computer was going to takeover .But there are more people in employment than ever before .

Not in supermarkets, shops, airports, public transport and certain types of manufacturing there aren’t.
    Take your point completely and I’m not sure either, but I do know that, just as the white working class now objects to ‘immigrants’ taking the jobs they didn’t originally want to do, so those with very limited skills are increasingly joining the long term unemployed/‘underclass’ because their roles are being taken by either machines or others with a little more ability.

I think the huge growth in employment is in the care sector. But once the machines introduce compulsory euthanasia at 70, most of those jobs will disappear

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    RA Not really sure any of it is correct about humans becoming indispensable Remember we had it all with robots, then the computer was going to takeover .But there are more people in employment than ever before .
    There are lies, damned lies and there are statistics. This stat about more folk having a job than ever before is factually correct. However, facts don't always tell the whole story. For instance, here is a fact for you............ American Red Indians walk in single file........... well, the one I saw did.

It's the same with the number of employed stat. There are way more people employed in part time jobs than ever before. There are far more people on those damned zero hour contracts and a proportion of them regularly get called in for 1, 2 or 3 hours a week when they really need far more than that. There are people with multiple part time and/or zero hour contracts. I don't know for sure but if you have 6 PT/ZH jobs, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that you count 6 times in the number of people in employment figure. That is how much I trust these stats.

Page 609 of 922 FirstFirst ... 109509559599607608609610611619659709 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)