+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 650 of 922 FirstFirst ... 150550600640648649650651652660700750 ... LastLast
Results 6,491 to 6,500 of 9220

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Sorry, I was at schoool in the70's, so to use the current phraseology, 'outdated' language, and possibly 'offensive', who knows these days

I was at school in the early seventies and working in one from 1977 onwards. Always a staff room...although we did have a 6th form common room or ‘den of iniquity’ as the Head referred to it. Maybe you went to Hogwarts.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I didn’t offer a ‘conspiracy theory’, Swale, never do...I just asked a question and it is maybe one that has acquired more substance seeing as Cummings has actually gone completely during the course of the day.

You speak with great authority and dogmatism about such matters. I do wonder sometimes how you can be so certain...what is it you actually do?
    I agree that the fact that it appears to be the case, though one waits for actual confirmation, its all its been reported at the moment which is journalistic code for we don't actually know.

rA I have been involved on Brexit with both politicians and civil servants. I know a number but in respect of Brexit the following are facts.

Its not impossible but would be a major revision and take the agreement of those in cabinet who are proponents of a hard Brexit for there to be significant change in the strategy.

The deadline for an extension has passed. Of course the UK could go down on bended knee and plead with the EU for one, but thats unlikely for the reasons given above.

The same applies to some form of soft Brexit - plus there is the complication that this would require approval by all 27 member states, there is not enough time to do this before 31 December, in fact there is barely enough time to ratify a deal.
    We will reach a deal, regrettably the deal is a thin one, it will be less of an economic blow than no deal, but it will inevitably result in millions of pounds of additional costs for business and tax payers (50,000 extra customs officers for example).

A couple of people I know were in on the zoom chat with government the other week, they were appalled at the governments attitude, which was its up to business to sort themselves out, which in normal times would be hard enough - seeing as nobody actually knows at the moment what sort of arrangements will be in place as there is no certainty what the circumstances will be. The necessary IT systems aren't up and running and they are new and we all know how long it takes an IT system to actually work!

In respect of Cummins and Cain, the word is its not Brexit, but a major fall out within the backroom teams in No10, Johnson is under pressure by Tory MP's who are nervous that instead of the triumph of having done Brexit, the government is increasingly looking like a bunch of incompetents who say one thing and then days or even hours later do a U turn and do exactly what BoJo had explicitly said he would not do in any circumstances - viz, free school meals, viz furlough scheme having argued the toss with Manchester, viz, exams, viz another national lockdown etc etc. Someone counted 14 complete U turns on policy this year, not exactly a demonstration of a government with a clear strategy, even if we are in unusual times!

So no I don't see a major change, the "Norway" option is off the table and basically we are ****ed!
    Last edited by swaledale; 13-11-2020 at 11:41 PM.

Fair enough, thanks for the explanation...still don’t know what you actually do that makes you so well informed but never mind.
    Things do seem curious at the moment. I do wonder how much impact the election of Biden, for which I am inordinately grateful, has made and Carrie Symonds appears ever more influential...can’t ever really remember that being the case before as far as any PM’s partners are concerned.
    We’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Fair enough, thanks for the explanation...still don’t know what you actually do that makes you so well informed but never mind.
    Things do seem curious at the moment. I do wonder how much impact the election of Biden, for which I am inordinately grateful, has made and Carrie Symonds appears ever more influential...can’t ever really remember that being the case before as far as any PM’s partners are concerned.
    We’ll see.
    These days I do zilch, apart from a little part time consulting, the last lockdown convinced me that it was time to bascially retire. Up until then as I have explained in numerous posts I have been working as a consultant assisting business with the impact of Brexit on their operations, looking at operational and administrative issues, this includes impact of potential tariffs, differences in standards for both transactions (services) and goods, whether to move HQ's or just branch offices into an EU country (Dublin is very popular right now!)- employee issues - recruitment, retention of staff (impact of free movement ending ).

No wonder you retired you must have been bored to death!

Quote Originally Posted by Egyptianram View Post

Hardly, the past four years have been very interesting and very lucrative. Also very eye opening as to just how little those who initiated Brexit actually knew about what they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Egyptianram View Post
    Depends on your perspective Egypt. I spent 30 plus years 'suited and booted' in various jobs in business, and it became ever more of a bore because, when all said and done, and compared to nurses, doctors, brickies, bin men, farmers etc none of it means anything.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    These days I do zilch, apart from a little part time consulting, the last lockdown convinced me that it was time to bascially retire. Up until then as I have explained in numerous posts I have been working as a consultant assisting business with the impact of Brexit on their operations, looking at operational and administrative issues, this includes impact of potential tariffs, differences in standards for both transactions (services) and goods, whether to move HQ's or just branch offices into an EU country (Dublin is very popular right now!)- employee issues - recruitment, retention of staff (impact of free movement ending ).
    But for the 45 years before that you were a binman, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    But for the 45 years before that you were a binman, right?
    Seconded to Bulgaria for better working and living conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Depends on your perspective Egypt. I spent 30 plus years 'suited and booted' in various jobs in business, and it became ever more of a bore because, when all said and done, and compared to nurses, doctors, brickies, bin men, farmers etc none of it means anything.
    Not strictly true, because funnily enough economic activity is what enables a country to function and pay for Dr's, Nurses, and in fact farmers, seeing as a large proportion of their income is paid out of taxes. Plus who do you think makes and supplies the tools, equipment buildings etc. used by the aforementioned?

Page 650 of 922 FirstFirst ... 150550600640648649650651652660700750 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)