+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 654 of 922 FirstFirst ... 154554604644652653654655656664704754 ... LastLast
Results 6,531 to 6,540 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Well that makes a welcome change...agreement.
    The biggest difference between Spain and the UK was that masks were mandatory in public places - except peculiarly beaches. Compliance was at least 90%. Even motorcyclists and cyclists wore them although horse riders, possibly because of their extra height, seemed exempt.
    The worst offenders seemed to be Brits, of about our age or older, on their way back from restaurants when inane grins replaced masks.
    I don't see the level of non compliance where I am, masks, social distancing and using sanitiser all seem to be observed by the vast majority of people. I can only report this from my shopping experiences as I've avoided other indoor situations apart from the 4 meals out I ahve had.

Wearing a mask outside is pointless and ineffective. Outside the research shows that you need to be in close proximity with someone in excess of 20 mins to stand even a chance of being infected, so unless your in a crowd and unable to social distance there is no need to wear a mask outside, frankly masks are more a visual "confidence" symbol and a demonstration of compliance rather than any practical use.

The Brexit thread seems to be turning into the Covid thread for some reason!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I don't see the level of non compliance where I am, masks, social distancing and using sanitiser all seem to be observed by the vast majority of people. I can only report this from my shopping experiences as I've avoided other indoor situations apart from the 4 meals out I ahve had.

Wearing a mask outside is pointless and ineffective. Outside the research shows that you need to be in close proximity with someone in excess of 20 mins to stand even a chance of being infected, so unless your in a crowd and unable to social distance there is no need to wear a mask outside, frankly masks are more a visual "confidence" symbol and a demonstration of compliance rather than any practical use.
    ...and yet, although Covid has hit Spain hard...in the nearest town to where we stayed, pop. 19500, they’d had just 7 (seven) known cases since the onset of the pandemic and adults and children alike - even in schools - wore masks.

maybe its down to the magic of garlic in the diet

...and yet, although Covid has hit Spain hard...in the nearest town to where we stayed, pop. 19500, they’d had just 7 (seven) known cases since the onset of the pandemic and adults and children alike - even in schools - wore masks.
    And your point is?

And your point is?
    I’d have thought it was obvious...in a place where mask wearing by children and adults alike was much more prevalent there were far fewer cases of Covid. It may or may not be coincidence but it causes little inconvenience and does no harm to give it a try.

There could be any number of reasons but, as you say there is no downside to wearing a mask that I can see. But it would never happen here as your average Brit wont do things BECAUSE they are asked to, it seems

Mind you, it could also be that covid knew you were visiting and its didn't want to catch the virus known as ramAnag?

I’d have thought it was obvious...in a place where mask wearing by children and adults alike was much more prevalent there were far fewer cases of Covid. It may or may not be coincidence but it causes little inconvenience and does no harm to give it a try.
    I can tell you weren't a science teacher! Making An unverified assumption based on one observation of a particular situation, mm.

So the fact that scientifically the following is true, virus transmission outside requires a minimum of 20 minutes close proximity face to face with an infected person you are of the opinion that everyone should wear a mask outside?

As for the generalisation that the Brits aren't wearing masks, well thats not true for my observations in shops and when I've been to London and other towns, generally compliance seems to be very good.

Then there is the issue that the vast majority of transmission is according to the research taking place inside homes and in some cases work places such as food processing. Its interesting that for all the fuss about hospitality, there has not been a huge number of cases arising from pubs and restaurants.

I'm not saying that masks aren't a good thing inside, but the general wearing of them at all times is bonkers, more psychological both for the wearer and others than actual effect.

I can tell you weren't a science teacher! Making An unverified assumption based on one observation of a particular situation, mm.

So the fact that scientifically the following is true, virus transmission outside requires a minimum of 20 minutes close proximity face to face with an infected person you are of the opinion that everyone should wear a mask outside?

As for the generalisation that the Brits aren't wearing masks, well thats not true for my observations in shops and when I've been to London and other towns, generally compliance seems to be very good.

Then there is the issue that the vast majority of transmission is according to the research taking place inside homes and in some cases work places such as food processing. Its interesting that for all the fuss about hospitality, there has not been a huge number of cases arising from pubs and restaurants.

I'm not saying that masks aren't a good thing inside, but the general wearing of them at all times is bonkers, more psychological both for the wearer and others than actual effect.
    No, I was hopeless at Science...never understand what me being a retired teacher has to do with anything though, or which bit of ‘may or may not be coincidence’ you missed.

By your own admission you, quite reasonably imo, don’t trust most of the advice about Covid or the handling of it, so why be so certain about the validity of the twenty minute rule? Not sure about your shopping habits but when I go shopping it’s very unlikely I’d be engaging in ‘20 mins close proximity face to face with’ anyone, so why are you bothering to wear one in shops?

I agree about the general compliance amongst Brits in shops...my point was that, unlike the area of Spain I visited, such compliance does not extend, for many, beyond shops.

I’m not sure about the hospitality issue...there have been many suggestions that the ‘eat out to help out’ initiative was entirely counterproductive as far as the spread of Covid was concerned, and the hospitality industry has basically been closed down for the last month with people staying at home so there would be more incidents of the virus spreading via home, work place, school and supermarkets wouldn’t there?

Just as you are not saying that ‘masks aren’t a good thing’, I’m not saying that they’re the answer. It was a simple observation that, in a part of Europe with stricter rules regarding masks the occurrence of Covid was particularly low. Would I wear one in a town centre? Yes. Would I wear one in a shop or petrol station? Always. Would I wear one when answering the door to a delivery driver? Yes...and expect them to too.
    Would I wear one when walking or exercising in a rural area? No. Would I wear one when driving? Never.
    Just my way of hopefully staying safe.

No, I was hopeless at Science...never understand what me being a retired teacher has to do with anything though, or which bit of ‘may or may not be coincidence’ you missed.

By your own admission you, quite reasonably imo, don’t trust most of the advice about Covid or the handling of it, so why be so certain about the validity of the twenty minute rule? Not sure about your shopping habits but when I go shopping it’s very unlikely I’d be engaging in ‘20 mins close proximity face to face with’ anyone, so why are you bothering to wear one in shops?

I agree about the general compliance amongst Brits in shops...my point was that, unlike the area of Spain I visited, such compliance does not extend, for many, beyond shops.

I’m not sure about the hospitality issue...there have been many suggestions that the ‘eat out to help out’ initiative was entirely counterproductive as far as the spread of Covid was concerned, and the hospitality industry has basically been closed down for the last month with people staying at home so there would be more incidents of the virus spreading via home, work place, school and supermarkets wouldn’t there?

Just as you are not saying that ‘masks aren’t a good thing’, I’m not saying that they’re the answer. It was a simple observation that, in a part of Europe with stricter rules regarding masks the occurrence of Covid was particularly low. Would I wear one in a town centre? Yes. Would I wear one in a shop or petrol station? Always. Would I wear one when answering the door to a delivery driver? Yes...and expect them to too.
    Would I wear one when walking or exercising in a rural area? No. Would I wear one when driving? Never.
    Just my way of hopefully staying safe.
    I prefer to act on the basis of evidence rather than some assumption, but you pays your money and takes your choice.

back to the topic of this thread I see Hapless hancock made some spurious claim that brexit had menat the Uk could approve the Covid vaccine quicker, a claim quickly denied by No 10 spokesperson and not true as we are still operating under the EU regulatory authority so nothings changed.

Then Williamson made some jingoistic remark about the Uk being better than those "other" countries as to why we have approved a vaccine! Mm and this about a vaccine that has been developed by a Hungarian immigrant amongst others!

They really have no shame this government when it comes to telling utter lies!

Absolutely no ‘assumption’...just observation, personal choice and common sense.

Either way...moving on and back to our relationship with Europe, I completely agree with you and am alarmed at the almost childlike Government desire to be able to shout, ‘we were first!’
    Be delighted if this is not yet another false dawn caused by UK politicians falling over themselves to take the credit for a vaccine which, I think, has been created in German labs and now awaits delivery from Belgium.
    The rest of Europe seems to be showing more restraint, perhaps wisely so...let’s see if it kills the Brits first?
    I’m as keen as anyone for life to return to normal but, selfishly, am almost grateful I’m only in tier 5 of the list of recipients.

Page 654 of 922 FirstFirst ... 154554604644652653654655656664704754 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)