+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 656 of 922 FirstFirst ... 156556606646654655656657658666706756 ... LastLast
Results 6,551 to 6,560 of 9220

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

In complete agreement with MA and mac and as I did say, over two hours ago, I won’t be responding further on the subject.
    I too very much hope mista reconsiders...the forum is a much worse place without him.

Does anyone know why Mista disappeared - last I remember was that he was in COVID quarantine.............?

Breaking news and believe it when (if ever) it surfaces in the real world, my bag-carrying bum boy pal on the inside says The EU have blinked, Merkel has said give some concessions to do a deal and Mac Ron has had a 'bennie' about it. We'll see, he gets HIS info about 8th hand but he's the best I have

The French will just veto it, whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    The French will just veto it, whatever
    thats the story I have, or, more sensationally, the French have demanded to have their own rep alongside Barnier from now on

But isn't Barnier French anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Breaking news and believe it when (if ever) it surfaces in the real world, my bag-carrying bum boy pal on the inside says The EU have blinked, Merkel has said give some concessions to do a deal and Mac Ron has had a 'bennie' about it. We'll see, he gets HIS info about 8th hand but he's the best I have

Or in the real world both sides are making compromises. Johnson has lowered the Uk's demands on fishing access, the French naturally because the impact on them is greatest are pushing for as much as they can get, the other Eu states less concerned because its not an issue for them.

As always a lot of grandstanding for the benefit of the suckers, sorry voters which will result in a deal where both sides claim victory!

However the net result wil be that the UK is a loser!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Honestly...I give up...you’ve accused me of worrying, being concerned, advocating safety first, having grey hair, being bald, being risk averse etc and virtually all of that is just in your head...just your assumptions.
    Am I ‘worried’? Not especially but about some private things which you know nothing about...to an extent, yes...aren’t we all?
    Am I ‘concerned’? About Derby’s chances of avoiding relegation...about how long the pandemic is going to disrupt all our lives for? Yes...of course...again aren’t we all?
    Do I ‘advocate safety first’? Can’t think of an example but as far as Covid is concerned...is that so daft?
    Am I bald or have grey hair? Not that it matters but ‘no’ on both counts.

You’re not sure ‘how I work out you’ve gone out more than me but hey ho.’ Because you’ve written, ‘I follow my own instincts on these matters and as I avoid others most of the time (apart from shopping) have no impact on others.’

As I’ve said, this is not a competition...but it is you who, in your own words, ‘avoid others most of the time’ while I have eaten out in a number of pubs, have flown to Southern Europe, have eaten out there half a dozen times and visited a number of bars - all in the open air - since the pandemic began.

Do I ‘follow my own instincts’. Like you...yes...and my current instinct is that arguing with you in your current frame of mind is utterly pointless for me and equally boring for others, so you have the last word if you like...I won’t be responding further upon what’s ‘obvious’ from what we’ve both posted.
    Ah you bite every time! So easy fishing with you. Your posts demonstrate all to clearly that you don't understand the difference between being risk averse as you undoubtedly are (and a constant worrier) and able to assess risks. Its not the same, and often thsoe that are risk averse fail to spot the obvious risk which you do frequently.

Anyway it was you that turned this into a covid thread!!

It is now clear that Brexit means that the UK will give up wealth in exchange for sovereignty.

In what proportions and over what timescale is the only real subject of negotiation. Whether that exchange should be made at all is the essential difference between leavers and remainers. The scenario we now call “no deal” is a way of describing the highest price for the largest portion of sovereignty.

Leavers started from a position of denial that sovereignty had any price at all – that Brexit was all upside. That case rested on two pillars. First was the idea that EU membership was a drag on Britain, an unwanted subscription service that could be cancelled and the money redirected to better causes.

Second was the belief that Europeans would be so sad to lose access to British markets that they would agree to continue something like the old service without charge. Those things were not true, but the Brexiteers believed they could be made true by force of conviction and a more aggressive negotiating stance.

Meanwhile, remainers saw the whole deal as a scam. The price was too high and the sovereignty being bought was worthless. It could not make Britain hefty enough in the world to rival Washington or Beijing. There was more global leverage available from a seat at EU summits in Brussels. The best deal on sovereignty was therefore the one that invested the whole pot in the European project.

But that argument has never had traction with leavers. The claim that Brexit has no value is palpable nonsense to tens of millions of people who, by the act of voting, bestowed it with profound emotional significance. Sovereignty sounds like independence which is something people want for themselves and their country.

The two tribes measure the issues on completely different scales, and will continue to do so. Pro-Europeans will be disappointed if they anticipate some definitive moment of vindication, when the bill lands for the hollow monument to sovereignty that Johnson is erecting at vast national expense.

Restricted access to European markets will take a toll in jobs and forgone growth. But there will be foreigners and a pandemic to blame. The political furnaces will fire up, incinerating the evidence presented by economists and pumping out the same polluting cloud of specious argument.

And so one of the biggest examples of a country shooting itself in the foot over a spurious "independence" proposition will come to pass.
    Last edited by swaledale; 09-12-2020 at 12:39 AM.

So Jim Ratcliffe of INEOS a fervent Brexiteer, decides to move abroad and avoid paying tax in the country he was said would be a great palce after Brexit, then instead of locating a factory in Wales decides that maybe France would be better?

James Dyson another prominent Brexiteer, decides that locating his companies HQ in Singapore is better than locating it in the UK, it just so happens that doing so means he can take advantage of the trade deal Singapore has with the EU! of course Dyson isn't a resident of the Uk either!

Anyone spot a pattern here?

Page 656 of 922 FirstFirst ... 156556606646654655656657658666706756 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)