+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 701 of 922 FirstFirst ... 201601651691699700701702703711751801 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,010 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    But wasn’t one of the cornerstones of the Brexiteers’ argument that they didn’t like being ‘governed’ by an unelected ‘elite’?
    To be honest ‘they’ just didn’t want to be governed by foreigners, although having been around our swan sandwich munching hearty guffawing ‘elite’ a few times over the years I personally wonder who are more ‘foreign’ in compatibility with the man in the street, foreigners or the elite

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Just throwing my twopennyworth in there.......... The EU Commission is appointed by the EU Parliament, just like Frosty has been appointed by BoJo.

In point of fact the European Parliament only appoints the Commission President. The remaining 26 EU Commissioners are both nominated by and appointed by the European Council, after a degree of intermediate vetting by the European Parliament.

But the bigger difference surely lies in the fact that all 27 members of the Commission elite are appointed, whereas just one member (out of 23) of the cabinet is an appointee. Said non elected member is also governed by the doctrine of collective cabinet responsibility and thus the chances of rogue action must be minimal since his elected colleagues must publicly support any decisions, even if a few privately dissent, and thus their positions are at the direct mercy of the electorate next vote round.
    Last edited by Geoff Parkstone; 11-03-2021 at 02:47 PM.

last time round the EU parliament rejected 3 of Ursula's planned team of commissioners during the vetting process, so it does do something and there are some signs of involvement by an elected body!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    To be honest ‘they’ just didn’t want to be governed by foreigners, although having been around our swan sandwich munching hearty guffawing ‘elite’ a few times over the years I personally wonder who are more ‘foreign’ in compatibility with the man in the street, foreigners or the elite
    I don’t disagree with any of that...but the point remains...the Brexiteers didn’t want exactly what they are now getting, Government by unelected bureaucrat, albeit one from Allenton via Nottingham, rather than Brussels.

As a point of local interest, Brexit also seems to have totally screwed up the Derbyshire Stilton (based in Harrington and Pikehall) industry too.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 11-03-2021 at 04:47 PM.

Derbyshire Stilton? Disgraceful - I though Stilton had DOC protection under the EU so, by losing the protection, it was going to help diverse production and use of the name elsewhere. We will be having Sage Leicester next

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I don’t disagree with any of that...but the point remains...the Brexiteers didn’t want exactly what they are now getting, Government by unelected bureaucrat, albeit one from Allenton via Nottingham, rather than Brussels.

As a point of local interest, Brexit also seems to have totally screwed up the Derbyshire Stilton (based in Harrington and Pikehall) industry too.
    the elected/unelected thing was a side issue, as I've said before most Brexiteers wanted a reduction in immigration, and my obseervation is that they will get that but regrettably only the useful ones

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    the elected/unelected thing was a side issue, as I've said before most Brexiteers wanted a reduction in immigration, and my obseervation is that they will get that but regrettably only the useful ones

Interesting observation, who are the useless ones?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

'Useless' is a contentious word (as I'm sure you realised) and isn't appropriate in this case. In purely economic terms, anyone who's existence increases the country's GDP per capita more by being present than not (easier to work out in a producing job than in a non-producing job) is of value to the country. By elimination, in economic terms, anyone failing this test isn't of value. That's not an opinion, that's just economics, and it applies to the whole population. If you want real examples I can provide them, and not especially UK examples
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 12-03-2021 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Might I nominate the 100s of Romanian prostitutes and their handlers that work in Ilford?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Might I nominate the 100s of Romanian prostitutes and their handlers that work in Ilford?
    There's 4000 EU nationals in England/Welsh jails for a start. Pretty useless to me.

Page 701 of 922 FirstFirst ... 201601651691699700701702703711751801 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)