+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 703 of 922 FirstFirst ... 203603653693701702703704705713753803 ... LastLast
Results 7,021 to 7,030 of 9220

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I just feel we have to get away from this ‘them v us’, ‘wealth producers v wealth drain’ mentality and even your ‘DIRECT way of valuing’.

Regardless of how I’ve earned most of my living, which is entirely irrelevant, where teachers are concerned at one level they contribute nothing to the nation’s GDP, on another they contribute an educated workforce (ideally) and enable much of the rest of the working population to go out and contribute to the nation’s GDP.

Likewise those who work in the NHS contribute a healthy workforce and (ideally again) reduce the number of ‘man hours’ lost which again has a beneficial effect upon productivity and our GDP.

The argument can be extended to other areas of employment and on the subject of usefulness v uselessness...there is, sadly, no escaping the fact that approximate 11% of the prison population is made up of ‘foreigners’, however when this is set alongside the number of ‘foreigners’ working within the NHS and, if my experience is anything to go by, in the delivery industry, then I too wholly subscribe to the idea that immigration has led to far more ‘useful’ than ‘useless’ people.

This, along with recent observations about unelected bureaucrats, should really be ringing a few alarm bells about wtf Brexit was all about shouldn’t it?
    I was agreeing with the above rA, sorry a bit busy for a more detailed reply. To be clear, teachers and nurses add to the country's value but their efforts are less easy to evaluate. They are 'useful'
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 12-03-2021 at 11:01 AM.

I thin that we have to also look at the "cost" of the value added by immigrants in, to take your example, the delivery sector.

No doubt many foreigners work in this sector, in which I will also add Uber as they are now in that sector - in over 100 call outs I have been picked up by over 100 foreigners, never once a clearly obvious "white english person".

I don't care who performs the service, for so long as it is performed satisfactorily.

Why is this? Is it that the native workforce is too lazy, or unqualified. I suspect the former and not the latter. But the other factor is that migrant transient workers come a lot cheaper. They are prepared to work for less money - perhaps due to not paying tax, or perhaps due to lower expectations and lower costs of living "back home" where much of their remuneration is heading.

So employers get a better deal and hence the (largely) unskilled migrants in this sector add value - at least they add value to the employer. But what about "society at large". I now a few people who are in this gig economy whilst furloughed or redundant or just people looking for a first job / students - and can barely get a look in because they are priced out of the market. An expectation of £ 10 an hour is laughed at - offers of between £6 and £7 are more likely. Doesn't even cover the vehicle and insurance costs unless you get 50 hours a week.

So yes, the immigrant workers are useful, and cheap. But that means the native workforce is then on state benefits, so add that into the equation and, assuming (and its a big assumption) that the home work force would take up these jobs if there were no migrant workers, Im not sure its good for UK plc, even if it is for the employers.

Clearly this does not apply to all, its just an example taken from rA thread. Cheap imported unskilled labour isnt useful to UK plc despite being a boon to individual employers; imported skilled and semi skilled labour is, and the ability to select what UK plc wants is a positive.

I just feel we have to get away from this ‘them v us’, ‘wealth producers v wealth drain’ mentality and even your ‘DIRECT way of valuing’.

Regardless of how I’ve earned most of my living, which is entirely irrelevant, where teachers are concerned at one level they contribute nothing to the nation’s GDP, on another they contribute an educated workforce (ideally) and enable much of the rest of the working population to go out and contribute to the nation’s GDP.

Likewise those who work in the NHS contribute a healthy workforce and (ideally again) reduce the number of ‘man hours’ lost which again has a beneficial effect upon productivity and our GDP.

The argument can be extended to other areas of employment and on the subject of usefulness v uselessness...there is, sadly, no escaping the fact that approximate 11% of the prison population is made up of ‘foreigners’, however when this is set alongside the number of ‘foreigners’ working within the NHS and, if my experience is anything to go by, in the delivery industry, then I too wholly subscribe to the idea that immigration has led to far more ‘useful’ than ‘useless’ people.

This, along with recent observations about unelected bureaucrats, should really be ringing a few alarm bells about wtf Brexit was all about shouldn’t it?
    The alarm bells need to be put back on the dusty shelf for another day rA, to quote the bard Swale 'that ship has sailed' (even if it was the ghost ship HMS Grayling), I believe more than ever that we've got to just bloody get on with the task ahead of thriving as an independant nation. We're being encouraged/indoctrinated into turning our backs on so much of our history these days, and our membership of EU is history. We should move on.

If you want an argument about the value/usefulness of an individual (lets say) nurse you won't get one from me but our right-wing interlopers might make the point that that nurse probably doesn't come alone but as a package and if that includes a spouse who can't or won't find employment, elderly dependants who don't speak English and infant dependants who don't speak English in the home, and the numbers don't look so good

Saw an interview, a week or so ago, with a daffodil grower. He was unhappy. A combination of Brexit and Corona had more than halved the number of seasonal migrant workers he used to have to harvest his flowers. He advertised nationally in the UK for staff. Half a dozen turned up but all were gone inside a week. Too much like hard work, basically.

The upshot of it is that more than half of hs "crop" will wither and die.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    The alarm bells need to be put back on the dusty shelf for another day rA, to quote the bard Swale 'that ship has sailed' (even if it was the ghost ship HMS Grayling), I believe more than ever that we've got to just bloody get on with the task ahead of thriving as an independant nation. We're being encouraged/indoctrinated into turning our backs on so much of our history these days, and our membership of EU is history. We should move on.

If you want an argument about the value/usefulness of an individual (lets say) nurse you won't get one from me but our right-wing interlopers might make the point that that nurse probably doesn't come alone but as a package and if that includes a spouse who can't or won't find employment, elderly dependants who don't speak English and infant dependants who don't speak English in the home, and the numbers don't look so good
    I’m not looking for an argument, we always have been an ‘independent nation’ and your post seems to include a disturbingly good impression of a ‘right wing interloper’.

I’m just continuing to hold the Brexiteers to account and will continue to do so. I’m sufficiently realistic not to expect immediate change, but I’d like some indication of how things are going to improve and some recognition of the contribution ‘foreigners’ have and do make to this country.

you might be in for a long wait rA

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Saw an interview, a week or so ago, with a daffodil grower. He was unhappy. A combination of Brexit and Corona had more than halved the number of seasonal migrant workers he used to have to harvest his flowers. He advertised nationally in the UK for staff. Half a dozen turned up but all were gone inside a week. Too much like hard work, basically.

The upshot of it is that more than half of hs "crop" will wither and die.
    Yes I saw that MA, and as a ****age potato picker back in the day, gotta agree its hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    you might be in for a long wait rA
    Lol...many a true word....

I’m not looking for an argument, we always have been an ‘independent nation’ and your post seems to include a disturbingly good impression of a ‘right wing interloper’.

I’m just continuing to hold the Brexiteers to account and will continue to do so. I’m sufficiently realistic not to expect immediate change, but I’d like some indication of how things are going to improve and some recognition of the contribution ‘foreigners’ have and do make to this country.
    I meant argument in the Radio 4 understanding of it not the pub car park at 1130 one

Don't confuse my keenness to tease out the issues which lean towards a small c conservative viewpoint with any '(far) right wing' leanings, which I dislike as much as you do. I'm just as happy to have a pop at either side of any issue. witness a couple of posts recently where Swale and I have actually (partially) agreed and my Grayling quip (clearly missed)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I meant argument in the Radio 4 understanding of it not the pub car park at 1130 one

Don't confuse my keenness to tease out the issues which lean towards a small c conservative viewpoint with any '(far) right wing' leanings, which I dislike as much as you do. I'm just as happy to have a pop at either side of any issue. witness a couple of posts recently where Swale and I have actually (partially) agreed and my Grayling quip (clearly missed)
    Ferry good was that one

Page 703 of 922 FirstFirst ... 203603653693701702703704705713753803 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)