+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 708 of 922 FirstFirst ... 208608658698706707708709710718758808 ... LastLast
Results 7,071 to 7,080 of 9220

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Ok: I didn't say covid made it a poisoned chalice, it already was one whoever won the post referendum General elections.

Covid has muddied the waters of assessing the impact of Brexit.

I did not blame Labour, but noted that Labour were also pro Brexit on balance, or rather not against it as policy. Both major parties were split, whoever won the election would have had to press the leave button to reflect the referendum result.

I don't think even you can dispute these facts.

The point is, it's happened. Stop crying about it and try and make the best of what you see as a bad deal. Or if you prefer, sit in your pram and look at the toys on your floor: no matter how much you cry, they're not gonna get put back in the pram for you.

And my observation that I voted remain is factual. Your remain vote isn't mystically better than mine just because you seem more committed to the cause. It was raised in response to Swale calling me a brexiteer.

And its not my party of government, its ours. Its not what you want, its not even what I want, but it is what it is. Grow up and live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Ok: I didn't say covid made it a poisoned chalice, it already was one whoever won the post referendum General elections.

Covid has muddied the waters of assessing the impact of Brexit.

I did not blame Labour, but noted that Labour were also pro Brexit on balance, or rather not against it as policy. Both major parties were split, whoever won the election would have had to press the leave button to reflect the referendum result.

I don't think even you can dispute these facts.

The point is, it's happened. Stop crying about it and try and make the best of what you see as a bad deal. Or if you prefer, sit in your pram and look at the toys on your floor: no matter how much you cry, they're not gonna get put back in the pram for you.

And my observation that I voted remain is factual. Your remain vote isn't mystically better than mine just because you seem more committed to the cause. It was raised in response to Swale calling me a brexiteer.

And its not my party of government, its ours. Its not what you want, its not even what I want, but it is what it is. Grow up and live with it.
    Lol, ‘stop crying about it’....‘grow up and live with it’...‘look at the toys on your floor’’. Really? Wow...you really have morphed into TTR.

Have you read nothing...wtf is ‘crying’ and what’s ‘growing up’ got to do with it?

We’ve been through all this...it’s called holding people to account...they’re observations about how Brexit is going.
    You don’t like them? That’s your problem...but it will be judged and not, as JRM suggests, in half a century, but by the next election.

I've always been TTR, sneaky duplicate accounts 😉

But he's right, you are crying.
    You've never stopped crying since 2016. You cried with the euro elections. You cried in the last general election.
    Whichever way you look at at it, your "opionion" lost 3 times and it still hasn't sunk in.
    The Tories are in power because there is no opposition to note.

Maybe, just maybe, you and those parties ought to be asking yourselves "WHY"?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Lol, ‘stop crying about it’....‘grow up and live with it’...‘look at the toys on your floor’’. Really? Wow...you really have morphed into TTR.

Have you read nothing...wtf is ‘crying’ and what’s ‘growing up’ got to do with it?

We’ve been through all this...it’s called holding people to account...they’re observations about how Brexit is going.
    You don’t like them? That’s your problem...but it will be judged and not, as JRM suggests, in half a century, but by the next election.
    That last point is interesting. If BJ called a snap election now (I'm not sure if that's even allowed) my money would be on him winning again on the back of "we've beaten covid" euphoris.

Will Joe public accept the deficiencies of Brexit even in 3 years time to such an extent that they will seek a party to return them to Europe? Does such a party even exist?

I think you seriously overestimate the electorate on this. If BJ loses the next election (if he even runs) I don't think it will be due to Brexit, but other things. And even if he loses, who is going to lead the nation humbly back to Brussels asking to be let back in.....

All getting a bit unseemly chaps we have few enough folk on here as it is without anyone else thinking of logging on and then deciding ah **** it
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 24-03-2021 at 08:27 PM.

That last point is interesting. If BJ called a snap election now (I'm not sure if that's even allowed) my money would be on him winning again on the back of "we've beaten covid" euphoris.

Will Joe public accept the deficiencies of Brexit even in 3 years time to such an extent that they will seek a party to return them to Europe? Does such a party even exist?

I think you seriously overestimate the electorate on this. If BJ loses the next election (if he even runs) I don't think it will be due to Brexit, but other things. And even if he loses, who is going to lead the nation humbly back to Brussels asking to be let back in.....
    I don’t think I’ll ever ‘overestimate’ the electorate again after Brexit. Unfortunately one of the side effects of the internet age is that, in political terms, we seem to have swapped an uninformed electorate for one that is deliberately misinformed.

I suspect you’re right and if an election was held now then BJ would win, on the back of the apparent success of the vaccine roll out and the fact that Starmer still has the Labour Party to sort out. However that isn’t what I said.

At the moment the cost/impact of Brexit is being hidden by the Covid crisis. I would love to be wrong but from what we know...to some extent via Swales’ factual observations...things do not look good and are very concerning.

Despite your argument to the contrary, the Party of Government is also the Party of Brexit. The electorate is renowned for short term thinking and they are certainly not going to, in Rees-Moggs’s words, wait half a century to see the benefit.

Assuming Covid is largely ‘done’ I do see the Brexit reality having a major impact in three years time, and rightly so.

Assuming Covid is largely ‘done’ I do see the Brexit reality having a major impact in three years time, and rightly so.
    3 years and 9 months I thought...........

I don’t think I’ll ever ‘overestimate’ the electorate again after Brexit. Unfortunately one of the side effects of the internet age is that, in political terms, we seem to have swapped an uninformed electorate for one that is deliberately misinformed.

I suspect you’re right and if an election was held now then BJ would win, on the back of the apparent success of the vaccine roll out and the fact that Starmer still has the Labour Party to sort out. However that isn’t what I said.

At the moment the cost/impact of Brexit is being hidden by the Covid crisis. I would love to be wrong but from what we know...to some extent via Swales’ factual observations...things do not look good and are very concerning.

Despite your argument to the contrary, the Party of Government is also the Party of Brexit. The electorate is renowned for short term thinking and they are certainly not going to, in Rees-Moggs’s words, wait half a century to see the benefit.

The state of Brexit in 3 years 9 months time will no doubt be influential, but none of us know what that influence will be, not even the great God Swale. Anyone can selectively reference "facts" that support an argument whilst ignoring contrary "facts". But even 45 months is a long time in politics. You should not assume that the perspective of today will be the perspective 45 months later.

Its all very well Remainers raising issues 3 months into the "brave new world" but that's not really any more relevant than the "50 years on" fantasies. Remember that game when we were 4-0 down at home to Ipswich at half time - most of us would have written it off as another disaster - then what happened?

I accept that Brexit will be mostly creditted to or blamed upon the party of government that effected the referendum decision, but I cannot imagine that said party will fail to point out to those that throw the accusation of "Brexit is on your conscience" were equally complicit in the decision. This will forever remain an outcome that split both parties and neither had the balls to fully align being a remain option for fear of alienating a massive proportion of its plebiscite.

You may wish to heap all the blame on the Tories, but the reality is that they just did the job that a diverse band of supporters of both mainstream parties wanted. Its those same people who will be voting in the next election - its going to be one hell of a big job for labour to (a) disassociate itself from the Brexit decision at parliamentary level (b) convince their grassroot supporters that they didnt want brexit after all and (c) to win back the lost heartland constituencies.

It would be a lot easier for Starmer to win the next election for other reasons, Brexit is too raw still. Those voters he has to win back and build on in order to win probably didnt vote for Brexit for economic reasons anyway and you wont be able to win back the hearts and minds of little englanders by quoting Swalean style "facts". He has to hope that those voters transferred allegiance on a one off basis "to get the job done" and will naturally return regardless of the brexit outcome.

The state of Brexit in 3 years 9 months time will no doubt be influential, but none of us know what that influence will be, not even the great God Swale. Anyone can selectively reference "facts" that support an argument whilst ignoring contrary "facts". But even 45 months is a long time in politics. You should not assume that the perspective of today will be the perspective 45 months later.

Its all very well Remainers raising issues 3 months into the "brave new world" but that's not really any more relevant than the "50 years on" fantasies. Remember that game when we were 4-0 down at home to Ipswich at half time - most of us would have written it off as another disaster - then what happened?

I accept that Brexit will be mostly creditted to or blamed upon the party of government that effected the referendum decision, but I cannot imagine that said party will fail to point out to those that throw the accusation of "Brexit is on your conscience" were equally complicit in the decision. This will forever remain an outcome that split both parties and neither had the balls to fully align being a remain option for fear of alienating a massive proportion of its plebiscite.

You may wish to heap all the blame on the Tories, but the reality is that they just did the job that a diverse band of supporters of both mainstream parties wanted. Its those same people who will be voting in the next election - its going to be one hell of a big job for labour to (a) disassociate itself from the Brexit decision at parliamentary level (b) convince their grassroot supporters that they didnt want brexit after all and (c) to win back the lost heartland constituencies.

It would be a lot easier for Starmer to win the next election for other reasons, Brexit is too raw still. Those voters he has to win back and build on in order to win probably didnt vote for Brexit for economic reasons anyway and you wont be able to win back the hearts and minds of little englanders by quoting Swalean style "facts". He has to hope that those voters transferred allegiance on a one off basis "to get the job done" and will naturally return regardless of the brexit outcome.
    Don’t think I am assuming that today’s perspective will be the same in 45 months time (certainly hope not) or that anyone’s perception of Swale is of a ‘great God’.

Neither is that Ipswich game a very good comparison...it remains memorable precisely because it was so exceptional.

What happens as regards jobs, trade, food availability and our freedom to travel, and how Brexit impacts on such things over the next three years will, imo, go a long way to deciding the outcome of the next election.

I fully accept that it is ‘early days’, I fully accept that the pandemic has clouded the matter, however all I have done is acknowledged that things aren’t looking great on the Brexit front and all Swale has done is drawn more specific attention to some of the downsides so far.

Perhaps you, in your undecided way - voted against it eventually but now I’ll have to get on with it - or those ( very few) on here who consistently supported the idea could outline exactly what the benefits have been or are likely to be in the not too distant future instead of just continuing with the old ‘Remoaner’ rubbish.

Page 708 of 922 FirstFirst ... 208608658698706707708709710718758808 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)