+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 709 of 922 FirstFirst ... 209609659699707708709710711719759809 ... LastLast
Results 7,081 to 7,090 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    The state of Brexit in 3 years 9 months time will no doubt be influential, but none of us know what that influence will be, not even the great God Swale. Anyone can selectively reference "facts" that support an argument whilst ignoring contrary "facts". But even 45 months is a long time in politics. You should not assume that the perspective of today will be the perspective 45 months later.

Its all very well Remainers raising issues 3 months into the "brave new world" but that's not really any more relevant than the "50 years on" fantasies. Remember that game when we were 4-0 down at home to Ipswich at half time - most of us would have written it off as another disaster - then what happened?

I accept that Brexit will be mostly creditted to or blamed upon the party of government that effected the referendum decision, but I cannot imagine that said party will fail to point out to those that throw the accusation of "Brexit is on your conscience" were equally complicit in the decision. This will forever remain an outcome that split both parties and neither had the balls to fully align being a remain option for fear of alienating a massive proportion of its plebiscite.

You may wish to heap all the blame on the Tories, but the reality is that they just did the job that a diverse band of supporters of both mainstream parties wanted. Its those same people who will be voting in the next election - its going to be one hell of a big job for labour to (a) disassociate itself from the Brexit decision at parliamentary level (b) convince their grassroot supporters that they didnt want brexit after all and (c) to win back the lost heartland constituencies.

It would be a lot easier for Starmer to win the next election for other reasons, Brexit is too raw still. Those voters he has to win back and build on in order to win probably didnt vote for Brexit for economic reasons anyway and you wont be able to win back the hearts and minds of little englanders by quoting Swalean style "facts". He has to hope that those voters transferred allegiance on a one off basis "to get the job done" and will naturally return regardless of the brexit outcome.
    Your assuming a lot, that those who voted for Johnson "wanted Brexit done", many did but others were somehow convinced Corbyn was a communist. Given that no poll has indicated that more than 50% wanted Brexit it wouldn't take many to swap sides or for others to change their vote to swing matters.

You view that Labour was complicit in how it turned out is interesting, yes Corbyn was lukewarm about the EU, always has been, but they could hardly have campaigned on a remain policy at the last election, so the idea of agreeing a deal and then having a referendum on that deal was probably the best option. Regrettably a right wing media character assassination of Corbyn, certainly influenced the vote and yet he was more credible and more trustworthy than Johnson has ever been.

Please do remember that the Tories got in on less than 43% of the vote, which is not 50% of the electorate.

Labour seems determined at the moment to ignore Brexit, I can't really see how Starmer can continue with this policy, Brexit and its ramifications will be more and more apparent as we go on and he will have to address it somehow.

Whilst I don't envisage we will be looking to rejoin the EU anytime soon, economic reality may just mean that a return to membership of the single market and customs union will be a necessity. The difficulties over the arrangements for Northern Ireland and the extra costs of doing trade with the EU are already apparent and whilst its clear that the current numpties in government signed up to a rather bad deal and then just kind of hoped it would sort itself out, it won't.

Its all very well casting the EU as the villains, but some Brexit supporters, who have never been big on facts and reality from the start, will eventually understand that as a "third" country in the EU's eyes, everything that is happening was predicted and lots of companies and people will suffer economically from this and then questions will be asked.

I like the way you put my facts in parenthesis, if you think they aren't facts, then please do point out why and as for it being one sided, its up to others to come up with some Brexit plus points, wonder why they don't?
    Last edited by swaledale; 25-03-2021 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    The state of Brexit in 3 years 9 months time will no doubt be influential, but none of us know what that influence will be, not even the great God Swale. Anyone can selectively reference "facts" that support an argument whilst ignoring contrary "facts". But even 45 months is a long time in politics. You should not assume that the perspective of today will be the perspective 45 months later.
    On the subject of ‘facts’, GP...I think the next election is due in 37 months time (by 2/5/24) not 45 as you suggest.

I was just accepting MAs figure....

Just to offer an olive branch to EU representatives, I was actually moved to feel sorry to Ursula Van Der Luyen over the Sofagate affair. I hope we all agree that, whatever the circumstances, be they originated by EU incompetence or turkey troublemaking, Charles Michel deserves a slap.

I thought it was hilarious. Of course Erdogan of course, is not exactly accomodating with women really

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56516462

Busted, the EU being the filthy low scum it really is.

https://www.facebook.com/10004862224...9485943682145/

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Busted, the EU being the filthy low scum it really is.

https://www.facebook.com/10004862224...9485943682145/
    Nope it demonstrates what a thick bigoted, xenophobic sick scumbag you are!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Nope it demonstrates what a thick bigoted, xenophobic sick scumbag you are!
    It doesn't take much to flush you out Lord Adonis.

I had hoped you'd mellowed in your absence, but it seems you're just as bombastic as ever,

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    It doesn't take much to flush you out Lord Adonis.

I had hoped you'd mellowed in your absence, but it seems you're just as bombastic as ever,

I knew you were thick, but having looked at that facebook page, your also utter scum, mind you I thought you were just had my suspicions confirmed.

That your allowed to post a link to that on this forum speaks volumes on how this forum has been moderated, but I guess when your desperate any old filth will do!

Now **** off and do one!

Page 709 of 922 FirstFirst ... 209609659699707708709710711719759809 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)