+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 778 of 922 FirstFirst ... 278678728768776777778779780788828878 ... LastLast
Results 7,771 to 7,780 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Gammon is a pejorative popularised in British political culture since around 2012. The term refers in particular to the colour of a person's flushed face when expressing their strong opinions, as compared to the type of pork of the same name.[1][2] It is defined in this context by the Oxford English Dictionary as "various parasynthetic adjectives referring to particularly reddish or florid complexions".[3]

In 2018, it became particularly known as a term to describe either those on the political right or those who supported Brexit.[1][4] Due to its origins as a reference to skin color, there is considerable debate over whether the term may be considered racist.

Taken from..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gammon_(insult)
    Pretty much as I suggested yesterday then...and not, in any shape or form as TTR nonsensically said, an insult specifically aimed at white Christians.

So from this I assume you can also have Black Gammons? As opposed to simply being a game popularised by Omar Sharif?

wonderfully cringeworthy pun GP. Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Pretty much as I suggested yesterday then...and not, in any shape or form as TTR nonsensically said, an insult specifically aimed at white Christians.
    Actually its been around a lot longer than the phrase to describe someone who is a "large, middle-class self-satisfied man who professes an extreme patriotism in large part to describe his essential selfishness and corruption". was apparently first used by Charles Dickens!

It is so funny that these are people who are supposed to be in favour of free speech and opposed to political correctness. People who say 'There's no such thing about giving offence, only people who take it', get so excited about being called gammons!

AF saying gammon is racist, has got to rank among the funniest things I've heard all day."

But then the only reason I can see why someone would be offednded is that they identify with the type of person the word gammon describes, indeed may even consider themselves to be one.

“Both [gammon and snowflake] were seen as less offensive compared to other derogatory words because they focus on people’s attitudes rather than their identity,” concluded Ofcom.

“They were generally seen as descriptive words that related to a person’s behaviour or views rather than targeting an individual or particular group based on their inherent characteristic.”

So clearly not racist then, though as a white older male, I can hardly be racist against other white older males unless of course I am specifically referring to their race or nationality!

As for AF saying I ahve a n issue with my own nation and nationality, thats obviously complete and utter *******s, I do have a problem with people who feel that people of a different nationality, ethnic group, different skin colour or whatever are in someway inferior to the average white Uk citizen - something that comes across in Thicky's posts very often, with his disparaging terms about Syrians, Eastern Europeans etc.
    Last edited by swaledale; 23-09-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Quelle surprise. Cabinet Minister who wants to keep his job and a Right Wing rag devoted to keeping the spirit of the 2016 Referendum alive both make the case for Brexit. Who’da thought?

How about you stop using DCM as a depository for your right wing printed materials and come up with something objective that you’ve perhaps thought through yourself.

Quelle surprise. Cabinet Minister who wants to keep his job and a Right Wing rag devoted to keeping the spirit of the 2016 Referendum alive both make the case for Brexit. Who’da thought?

How about you stop using DCM as a depository for your right wing printed materials and come up with something objective that you’ve perhaps thought through yourself.
    Quelle surprise. former teacher who is devoted to fighting the spirit of the 2016 Referendum makes the case against Brexit. Who’da thought?

How about you stop using DCM as a depository for your left wing material and come up with something objective that you’ve perhaps thought through yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Quelle surprise. former teacher who is devoted to fighting the spirit of the 2016 Referendum makes the case against Brexit. Who’da thought?

How about you stop using DCM as a depository for your left wing material and come up with something objective that you’ve perhaps thought through yourself.
    Got a lot of time on your hands at the moment?

Oh please, Grant Shapps? Foxhole News?

If you believe even half of what he says or that fake news media outlet puts out, then one would have to be very dim indeed!

In any case, the perfect storm of which Brexit is but a part, but a major self inflicted part, is brewing and will hit everyone, though the Brexiteers will of course deny it!

Of course RA, it's all down to Brexit. Everything is Brexit
    Bloody Coronaxit

Neil Howard is feeling puzzled.
    9tSa ohnsdoreds ·
    So, after seeing the news last night about fuel shortages, I popped in to Tesco at 0530 when I should have been sleeping! I spoke to a very nice tanker driver who was rather informative and told me that the boats carrying fuel are arriving daily at Plymouth, the two depots in Plymouth are extremely well stocked and there is no shortage of drivers. His only concern was news articles misleading the public. He finished by explaining that it is only BP who have issues. Back to bed....

Page 778 of 922 FirstFirst ... 278678728768776777778779780788828878 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)