+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 812 of 922 FirstFirst ... 312712762802810811812813814822862912 ... LastLast
Results 8,111 to 8,120 of 9220

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Its off the subject I know, but the lack of basic 'awareness' of younger generations drives me potty. And that's not me and my thirty (it feels like it!) decades of experience, i 'knew' as much of the basics at 18 as I know now, I'd like to bet give or take you knew the same.
    I’m not entirely sure what you’re referring to when you use terms like ‘awareness’ and ‘basics’. If you’re talking basic literacy and numeracy then you perhaps have a point but then such issues have always had a generational aspect.
    My late mother told tales of having been taught in a class of forty by one (seemingly) elderly lady and still leaving school at 14 but with an exemplary knowledge of spelling, grammar and multiplication tables as well as handwriting which would put many to shame today.
    On the other hand...today’s youngsters have so many more skills to acquire including those connected with computers and IT without which they are effectively going to be branded as ‘semi literate’.
    Unfortunately there’s often a temptation of every generation to become a little - ‘wasn’t like that in my day’ - grumpy when considering those who are younger.

Adopting the metric system has **** all to do with being in the EU anyway, but hey who gives a ****?

My first weekly pay packet contained £10 back in 1971. I thought I was rich

Spelling? Not as important as it was due to spell checkers. That leaves the "writer" only having to check words underlined in red. Even then they can auto-correct. The problem with it is that when a word has been typed that happens to be correctly spelled but is grammatically incorrect, eg then/than or have/of etc, it isn't highlighted. The spell checker does also have some grammar checks but is by no means infallible.

Calculators? They have helped those who don't do arithmetic, either in their head or with pen and paper, very well which is a good thing. However, being able to work things out, quickly, in your head, is very helpful. Family, friends, former pupils were all almost in awe at how quickly I worked something out in my head. Quicker than they could with a calculator. Obviously when you get to larger numbers, my speed reduces and calculators catch up.

I used to work it out with a pencil, but then discovered ex lax!!

Apparently there’s an old measure called a ‘Scruple’ which was used by apothecaries and equivalent to twenty grains.
    I can’t imagine a less appropriately named unit of measurement being reintroduced by the current government.

Perhaps there is still room for both
    The Americans don't find it a problem with ammunition calibres

We have both, we don't have a problem with miles or pints do we?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    We have both, we don't have a problem with miles or pints do we?
    Give him an inch and he'll take a yard

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Apparently there’s an old measure called a ‘Scruple’ which was used by apothecaries and equivalent to twenty grains.
    I can’t imagine a less appropriately named unit of measurement being reintroduced by the current government.
    Don't forget the barleycorn as a unit of length of around one third of an inch...and we all know John must die - he shouldn't play in the traffic.

Then there is the Butt, a unit of measure which brings me back to Dianne Abbott. And before the pc police chase me off the site, I if course refer to her always being the butt of the joke.

Then there's the Johnson, a measure of stupidity!!

Page 812 of 922 FirstFirst ... 312712762802810811812813814822862912 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)