+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 830 of 922 FirstFirst ... 330730780820828829830831832840880 ... LastLast
Results 8,291 to 8,300 of 9220

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    As I said last week, reference to Hitler / Naziism is one of the go to refuges of those who struggle to make their points by legitimate means. I’m surprised you condone it
    Yeah Pops, I remember you saying something like that, I also remember you avoiding answering why you were so concerned about the supposed over representation of ethnic minorities in the media and how chuffed you were when apparently you were right!! So forgive me if I say that your opinion on this issue is somewhat suspect.

I suppose the fact that your second cousin is a diversity analysist for a right wing think tank led you down this path or perhaps it was your latent racism that was the cause of your concern?

But lets just stop and examine what you are in effect telling us. That making a reference or seeing a parallel to Hitler/Nazis in the way right wing governments today are increasingly authoritarian, that a populist political approach, which is based more on simplistic slogans and blaming other people, groups of people or even other nations or in the case of the Eu groups of nations is not similar to how Hitler operated?

That in all the cases mentioned, that be Johnson and the current Tory government, Trump in the US or the governments in Hungary and Poland have been democratically elected, but then sort to introduce laws which are ever more restrictive and authoritarian in the guise that they are necessary to improve/preserve the society which the majority of people want?

In fact in a previous post I actually listed all the issues which the Johnson government had done which were direct parallels with the Nazi play book.

a few examples demonise immigrants, attack unions, restrict the right to protest, demonise the EU, blame France, pretend the sovereignty of the Uk is at risk, overinflate the Uk's standing in the world, excessive flag waving.

But don't take my word for it - do a little bit of research and you will find that there are a number of respected and knowledgeable academics (some from Cambridge Uni no less), political commentators and journalists who see the same thing to varying degrees.

But no Faber has spoken, nothing to see here.

Well sorry pal, on this as indeed on many other things, you have an opinion but the evidence suggests your wrong!

On the other hand, one of the classic Nazi/Hitler approach, is repeat a lie often enough and people think its the truth, so you keep repeating this lie, and if we come full circle and note your oft repeated concern about ethnic minorities in the media and perhaps there is another conclusion to be reached here, one that shows your more unsavoury side?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Oh behave. You’re obsessed. The ‘good German’ reference is concerned with those Germans who helped legitimise what was going on back in the thirties and forties by saying and doing nothing. There is a parallel there with you when you make out that those who challenge the authority of the Referendum result are somehow challenging democracy and even being ‘subversive’.
    The truth is you’ve spent six years criticising those who challenge the wisdom of Brexit while at the same time hiding from the need to offer personal approval or condemnation behind the smokescreen of defending democracy.
    Not to mention all those who seemingly voted for Johnson and the Tories and are now surprised that he proved to be an incompetent, lying, shape shifting, idle, bumbling idiot!! I mean a considerable number of people voted for the Tories on the basis that a right wing media owned by ex pat tax avoiding billionaire non doms said Corbyn was a threat to the country..I mean how much worse would he have been?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    If you believe your student marches made a difference the please continue to think so. I'm confident mine didn't.

And no I'm not a Rambo as nothing has enflamed me sufficient to go down that route.
    I don't believe, I know some made a difference, some were at local level, others actually changed national policy and other contributed to wider change.

But presumably yours were completely pointless then? Do enlighten as to what issues you marched about?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Not to mention all those who seemingly voted for Johnson and the Tories and are now surprised that he proved to be an incompetent, lying, shape shifting, idle, bumbling idiot!! I mean a considerable number of people voted for the Tories on the basis that a right wing media owned by ex pat tax avoiding billionaire non doms said Corbyn was a threat to the country..I mean how much worse would he have been?
    I was with you until the last bit, I mean, there's a difference between bumping your head after reading the "mind your head" sign, and jumping off a bridge with concrete tied to your knackers.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I don't believe, I know some made a difference, some were at local level, others actually changed national policy and other contributed to wider change.

But presumably yours were completely pointless then? Do enlighten as to what issues you marched about?
    Mostly I remember them aimed at smashing the social contract which I think was a Wilson government approach to curtailing trade union power. A few were more self interested and geared towards increasing the student grant - which didn't happen. Most, if not all, quickly lost direction and turned into pub crawls which were fun, and the primary reason why most of us went, but no exactly instruments of change.

Most, if not all, quickly lost direction and turned into pub crawls which were fun, and the primary reason why most of us went, but no exactly instruments of change.
    This perhaps tells us more about the young GP than it does about student demonstrations in the early-mid seventies.

It may

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    I was with you until the last bit, I mean, there's a difference between bumping your head after reading the "mind your head" sign, and jumping off a bridge with concrete tied to your knackers.
    I can see why you might think that, but in reality, what would Corbyn have done that was worse than Johnson? I mean in reality, not the overblown exaggerated crap that the right wing press and indeed some centre road press pushed out?

I mean one has to remember whatever some of the more esoteric ideas were put forward, there is then the small issue of getting these things passed in parliament.

Mostly I remember them aimed at smashing the social contract which I think was a Wilson government approach to curtailing trade union power. A few were more self interested and geared towards increasing the student grant - which didn't happen. Most, if not all, quickly lost direction and turned into pub crawls which were fun, and the primary reason why most of us went, but no exactly instruments of change.
    Ah you see I was more involved in things such as gay rights, anti apartheid, rent strikes, stopping the development of green spaces, a few picket lines in disputes.

which University were you at?

Page 830 of 922 FirstFirst ... 330730780820828829830831832840880 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)