+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 856 of 922 FirstFirst ... 356756806846854855856857858866906 ... LastLast
Results 8,551 to 8,560 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Was it Jim Reeves who sang about the sound of distant drums? I fear I'm detecting the sound of distant (rear) guns again ��
    Oh dear, having been put on the spot, your trying deflection tactics I see. You also haven't been able to explain your assertion about it being amoral.

Lets take another example, say I run a business and at the same time campaign against Brexit. Now say by some miracle I find that Brexit has opened up a new and lucrative opportunity for my business (yes I know one would have to be very dim or just naïve to even think this could happen but bear with) and I take full opportunity and make millions from this.

By your judgement is that amoral? On the basis I was against Brexit, but now its happened have managed to profit from it, or simply doing the best for my business in the reality of the situation that I had no choice but to operate in?

I mean the answer is very simple, but who knows you may have a different one!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    was that a slip of the pen or an insight into GP?
    A slip of the key board, GP hasn't lied, just made a comment that doesn't stand up to scrutiny!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    was that a slip of the pen or an insight into GP?
    That was my initial thought when I read it

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Was it Jim Reeves who sang about the sound of distant drums? I fear I'm detecting the sound of distant (rear) guns again 😄
    over there, over there.. and do they smell, like fork n ell.

It was indeed Jim Reeves...

Since 2018, John Springford at the Centre for European Reform (CER) has been modelling the economic performance of a UK that remained in the EU - using data from countries like the US, Germany, New Zealand, Norway and Australia, whose performance was similar to the UK’s before Brexit.
    The difference in performance between his “doppelgänger UK economy” and the real thing is stark.
    Mr Springford’s latest update estimates that Brexit reduced Britain’s GDP by 5.5% by the second quarter of 2022.

Put another way, between April and June economic output was £33 billion lower than it would have been had the UK voted to stay in the EU, costing the government around £12 billion in lost tax revenues.
    In the year to the end of June 2022, Mr Springford estimates the tax loss at around £40 billion.

You know Brexit has turned out ****e when a Tory MP and arch Brexit supporter says this!

Those paying attention to the detail could have told you that the Australian and New Zealand post-Brexit trade deals weren’t very good for the UK some months ago. The first hint was the antipodean media laughing at how bad they were for Britain right after they had been agreed. Yet it was still a shock to hear a Tory MP have a go at one of them, particularly a former cabinet minister doing so in the House of Commons.

“Since I now enjoy the freedom of the backbenches, I no longer have to put such a positive gloss on what was agreed. I hope my Right Honourable Friend will understand my reason for doing this, which is that unless we recognise the failures the Department for International Trade made during the Australia negotiations, we will not be able to learn the lessons for future negotiations. There are critical negotiations under way right now, notably on the CPTPP and on Canada, and it is essential that the Department does not repeat the mistakes it made. The first step is to recognise that the Australia trade deal is not actually a very good deal for the UK…..”

The former DEFRA Secretary then went on to say that “the truth of the matter is that the UK gave away far too much for far too little in return.” Eustice is not only a former cabinet member, but a staunch Brexiter (he once ran as a UKIP MEP candidate). This wasn’t a Remainer having a go at the Australian trade deal, but someone firmly of the faith, which makes it all the more remarkable.

Keep ‘em coming Swale. Truth and logic will one day prove victorious and although such posts may currently only result in a deafening silence or the tiresome accusation of being a ‘Remoaner’...one only has to look at the examples of Brazil, or Washington in the wake of Trump’s removal, to see how well the Right handle defeat.

I am certain that by the time of the next election, the majority will be clamouring for some of the negative effects of Brexit to be reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I am certain that by the time of the next election, the majority will be clamouring for some of the negative effects of Brexit to be reversed.
    Indeed...not to mention the end of, by then, 14+ years of incompetence and misrule as exemplified by their current aim of making the withdrawal of labour in certain professions illegal.
    If it wasn’t so tragic it’d be funny. As it is, it’s simply another example of brain dead arrogance and stupidity...about par for the course with this shower.

So it seems those Brexiteers who predicted that Brexit would lead to the break up of the EU were wrong about that then!

Support for leaving the EU has dropped significantly, and sometimes dramatically, in member states across the bloc in the wake of the UK’s Brexit referendum, according to data from a major pan-European survey.

The European Social Survey (ESS), led by City, University of London and conducted in 30 European nations every two years since 2001, found respondents were less likely to vote leave in every EU member state for which data was available.

The largest decline in leave support was in Finland, where 28.6% of respondents who declared which way they would vote in a Brexit-style referendum answered leave in 2016-2017, but only 15.4% did in 2020-2022 – a fall of 13.2 percentage points.

Similarly stark falls between 2016 and 2022 were recorded in the Netherlands (from 23% to 13.5%), Portugal (15.7% to 6.6%), Austria (26% to 16.1%) and France (24.3% to 16%), with smaller but still statistically significant falls in Hungary (16% to 10.2%), Spain (9.3% to 4.7%) Sweden (23.9% to 19.3%), and Germany (13.6% to 11%).ld vote in a Brexit-style referendum answered leave in 2016-2017, but only 15.4% did in 2020-2022 – a fall of 13.2 percentage points.

Mathieu Gallard, research director of the leading French polling firm Ipsos, which regularly conducts surveys of European opinion, said the ESS numbers reflected a “veritable collapse” in support for leaving the EU in several countries.

Gallard said the fall in support for a leave vote most likely stemmed from “a cumulative effect combining the EU’s attitude towards the various crises of recent years, the radical right’s moderation on the subject [of leaving the EU], and the many vicissitudes of Brexit”.

Page 856 of 922 FirstFirst ... 356756806846854855856857858866906 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)