+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 840 of 922 FirstFirst ... 340740790830838839840841842850890 ... LastLast
Results 8,391 to 8,400 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Blue ones that look black

Boris Johnson’s Brexit will slow down economic growth to the tune of £1,200 for every person in the country, the government’s spending watchdog has said.

" Brexit " appeared just twice in Chancellor Rishi Sunak’s first Budget speech despite the huge impact it’s predicted to have on the national finances.

The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) said based on current Brexit plans, growth would be slowed by around 4% in the long run.

They said part of the slowdown was a result of lower migration - but most was from a slump in business investment.

The body - set up by George Osborne to scrutinise Budgets - said the economy had only seen a third of the impact of Brexit so far.

Another third will happen over the next five years, and the remainder after 20

“Without Brexit, we wouldn’t be talking about austerity this week,” Michael Saunders tells me in his first on-air interview since leaving the Bank of England’s monetary policy committee.

Just back from Nurnburg.

OUT- quick check bording pass/passport at gate
    quick look/stamp of passport German end

IN- Bording pass gate to enter departures German end
    Quick look/stamp of passport. Auf Wiedersehn.
    Brit end, self scan of passport at a gate.

All done in minutes.

Nurnburg, prices through the roof. I would normally not bother checking prices/look around whilst there. I fecking did this time, because most shop goods, were way more expensive than here.

Probably our fault though for leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Just back from Nurnburg.

OUT- quick check bording pass/passport at gate
    quick look/stamp of passport German end

IN- Bording pass gate to enter departures German end
    Quick look/stamp of passport. Auf Wiedersehn.
    Brit end, self scan of passport at a gate.

All done in minutes.

Nurnburg, prices through the roof. I would normally not bother checking prices/look around whilst there. I fecking did this time, because most shop goods, were way more expensive than here.

Probably our fault though for leaving.
    Unsure of your point. Passports didn’t require stamping prior to Brexit so clearly you’re agreeing that the whole process of travelling within Europe has been slowed down. Yes it only takes moments to stamp a passport...moments x the number in front of you leaving or boarding the plane/ferry...or are you seriously suggesting that Brexit has enabled easier travel for Brits within Europe?

No one has suggested that we are the only country with higher prices or that inflation isn’t a global problem. However have you actually looked at the prices over here? Hugely more expensive here than when I was in Spain two months ago and from what I hear from those I know who live in northern Germany...very similar to the cost of living increases we face.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Unsure of your point. Passports didn’t require stamping prior to Brexit so clearly you’re agreeing that the whole process of travelling within Europe has been slowed down. Yes it only takes moments to stamp a passport...moments x the number in front of you leaving or boarding the plane/ferry...or are you seriously suggesting that Brexit has enabled easier travel for Brits within Europe?

No one has suggested that we are the only country with higher prices or that inflation isn’t a global problem. However have you actually looked at the prices over here? Hugely more expensive here than when I was in Spain two months ago and from what I hear from those I know who live in northern Germany...very similar to the cost of living increases we face.
    My point?

The Germans still sat in the same immigration booths that they did before. Only difference now, they stamped it. You regard that as an inconveniance? Then you are being unbelievably picky and arsey.
    They would have flicked through it before to look at it, but now take 10 seconds longer?

Is that really a reason to get pissed off? Thailand next for 7 weeks. That route involves finger/thumb prints/photos/entrance visa to look at. Personally, I don't mind that either, but visiting another EU country is nothing like.

Of course I have looked at prices over here. But I stand by what I said. Goods from shops, were hugely more expensive than here and even buying some tit bits from a supermarket were pricey. I should have gone out of town and found a Lidl I suppose.
    But there are plenty in this country, screaming about prices and blaming BREXIT FOR OUR WOES,Total bollox, as it is everywhere and Brexit is tiny on our impacts in prices.

I'll let you know how prices vary in Thailand in comparison.

Regarding travel I think all that’s been said is that Brexit has made travel for those from the UK within Europe harder and slower. It isn’t the most significant impact of Brexit but it has, undeniably, made things worse. Travel beyond our own continent has always been more complex so Thailand is hardly a fair comparison.

As for prices and the cost of living crisis I don’t know of anyone who has laid these issues exclusively at Brexit’s door however the inflation ‘League table’ of comparable European countries doesn’t make great reading.

France 6.2%
    Spain 6.8%
    Greece 9.1%
    Netherlands 9.9%
    Germany 10%
    Belgium 10.6%
    UK 11.1%
    Italy 11.8%

You explain it.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 08-12-2022 at 10:48 PM.

Prices do not only differ from country to country, but from city to city, to town to town.

Take Belgium as an example, go out in Brussels and prices are significantly more than nearby Brugge. Try Spain, and go out in Barcelona and you will pay more than tourist resorts.

We went to France earlier in the year and to be fair it didn't seem any different at the border to the previous visits. I think people are more likely to hit trouble with security, check in and passport control in the UK than abroad (a consequence of low staff numbers which is a combination of laying staff off during covid, and the subsequent difficulties in setting people on, some of which will be brexit related)

This is for tourists though, other people are finding life post brexit much more challenging when trying to get on to the continent, the red tape and extra cost my wifes haulage company now experiences is evidence of that. Thats if they can get any drivers, although lots of bus drivers have helped fill the gap there its just left to an issue with the bus services in the Uk as they struggle for drivers, you only have to look locally at inconsistent buses and also the cancellation of some services.

Im still waiting to see anyone detail a benefit of brexit, by that it means something thats 'better' because of brexit, not thats the same, or only a bit worse than it used to be.

The only one i can think of is the head start we got on the vaccine program, but even then we could have done our own thing had we still been in the EU as others in the EU did so its not really.

When it comes to measuring results, predictions and analysis the OBR consistently tell us brexit is and will continue to have a negative effect on the economy, they said previously that brexit was having an effect twice as bad as that of the pandemic.

All things point to a rough ride for some time yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Regarding travel I think all that’s been said is that Brexit has made travel for those from the UK within Europe harder and slower. It isn’t the most significant impact of Brexit but it has, undeniably, made things worse. Travel beyond our own continent has always been more complex so Thailand is hardly a fair comparison.

As for prices and the cost of living crisis I don’t know of anyone who has laid these issues exclusively at Brexit’s door however the inflation ‘League table’ of comparable European countries doesn’t make great reading.

France 6.2%
    Spain 6.8%
    Greece 9.1%
    Netherlands 9.9%
    Germany 10%
    Belgium 10.6%
    UK 11.1%
    Italy 11.8%

You explain it.
    Being an engineer and not a calculator puncher, you're asking the wrong man.
    But in my limited knowledge, Tory failures and Bank of England failures come top of the reasons.

Also get your figures from places other than the Guardian mucker.
    Its rife all over Europe

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-eu-countries/

Okay...they weren’t from the Guardian...but have it your own way and you keep bringing up your belief in Brexit if it helps.
    All the evidence points otherwise but heh ho...you can take a horse to water.

If you don’t want to take any notice of me then listen to Sith...he makes some excellent points above and seems particularly well informed regarding the shortage of drivers. It’s a problem I raised over a year ago but you, and he who is always right, dismissed it as unfounded and untrue.

Page 840 of 922 FirstFirst ... 340740790830838839840841842850890 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)