+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 772 of 922 FirstFirst ... 272672722762770771772773774782822872 ... LastLast
Results 7,711 to 7,720 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

So Andy...can’t give an example. MA...I totally agree about the the vaccine deniers and general nutters...and Tricky...the best you can do is an example from ‘kin Coronation Street that I defy anyone to understand.
    Come back when you’ve got a proper argument against ‘woke’...all it means is that you’re politically aware and have thought a few things through about injustice in today’s society.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    So Andy...can’t give an example. MA...I totally agree about the the vaccine deniers and general nutters...and Tricky...the best you can do is an example from ‘kin Coronation Street that I defy anyone to understand.
    Come back when you’ve got a proper argument against ‘woke’...all it means is that you’re politically aware and have thought a few things through about injustice in today’s society.
    Your comment suggests you haven't quite 'got it' on the woke thing rA, its become a word/phrase that can be used as a positive and a negative for the same activity at the same time. The word 'bad' works the same way these days, my girls and their b/f's would describe a piece of rap as 'bad' by way of praise, I might describe the same piece as bad because I think its Godawful

The description of 'wokewashing' in the wiki piece describes an inclination that even you must have noticed - the massive overrepresentation of certain minorities in advertising - and gives a pretty good summary of its purpose and potential backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Your comment suggests you haven't quite 'got it' on the woke thing rA, its become a word/phrase that can be used as a positive and a negative for the same activity at the same time. The word 'bad' works the same way these days, my girls and their b/f's would describe a piece of rap as 'bad' by way of praise, I might describe the same piece as bad because I think its Godawful

The description of 'wokewashing' in the wiki piece describes an inclination that even you must have noticed - the massive overrepresentation of certain minorities in advertising - and gives a pretty good summary of its purpose and potential backlash.
    He doesn't get it all Andy. Instead of the scales being balanced, they have tipped so far, as to over compensate to the point of it being rammed down your throat. There is also, the name and shame side of it as well. Guilt being the major weapon of choice.
    WOKE sounds like everyone was blind, but yay, now I can see. The reality is, it has become an annoyance more than a revelation.

Oh and RA, my point was about the TV broadcaster, not the soap/ or the characters.
    The topic was chosen, then taken to the Nth degree of shaming by the itv network, in what is supposed to be light entertainment viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

That though is not what you said Andy. You said ‘...woke has been comprehensively hijacked and is now a pejorative’.
    It is only seen that way by those who mourn the passing of/threat to white male supremacy whether that be in relation to race or gender.
    Of course there will be people who are over sensitive, who have a complete sense of humour failure where anything remotely un PC is mentioned, but you have to look at the bigger picture and, ‘woke’, in terms of raising awareness about injustice and ingrained unfairness in the World is a good thing.
    Only those who hark back to a world where a woman’s place was in the kitchen, where black and Asian people were regarded as second class citizens (at best) and where being gay was a crime would think otherwise.
    Unfortunately, and to an extent coincidentally, I suspect all too many of those who voted for Brexit might hanker after a return to such a world.

That though is not what you said Andy. You said ‘...woke has been comprehensively hijacked and is now a pejorative’.
    It is only seen that way by those who mourn the passing of/threat to white male supremacy whether that be in relation to race or gender.
    Of course there will be people who are over sensitive, who have a complete sense of humour failure where anything remotely un PC is mentioned, but you have to look at the bigger picture and, ‘woke’, in terms of raising awareness about injustice and ingrained unfairness in the World is a good thing.
    Only those who hark back to a world where a woman’s place was in the kitchen, where black and Asian people were regarded as second class citizens (at best) and where being gay was a crime would think otherwise.
    Unfortunately, and to an extent coincidentally, I suspect all too many of those who voted for Brexit might hanker after a return to such a world.
    So which part of "hijacked" by the woke brigade don't you understand?
    When things get taken to far, and others opinions/beliefs/standards over ride yours?

Poor Chubby Brown. A comedian who pushes the boundaries of good taste. Yet under a free society should be allowed to perform.
    But when others decide that his show breeches their morals, is dangerous ground.

It has happened to him many times, when local councils, decide his act is not to their taste.
    No one forces you to attend his shows, so you cannot be offended.
    But when you make a unilateral decision on everyones behalf, it mirrors what the Nazi's and Communists/Taliban have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    So which part of "hijacked" by the woke brigade don't you understand?
    When things get taken to far, and others opinions/beliefs/standards over ride yours?

Poor Chubby Brown. A comedian who pushes the boundaries of good taste. Yet under a free society should be allowed to perform.
    But when others decide that his show breeches their morals, is dangerous ground.

It has happened to him many times, when local councils, decide his act is not to their taste.
    No one forces you to attend his shows, so you cannot be offended.
    But when you make a unilateral decision on everyones behalf, it mirrors what the Nazi's and Communists/Taliban have done.
    ‘Pushes the boundaries of good taste...’. Congratulations on the understatement of the year.
    You really know how to contribute to a serious debate don’t you...Chubby Brown and Coronation Street?

Tbh...I don’t know much about Chubby Brown...but I suspect certain councils have found him unacceptable in the same way as TV does or in the same way as we are likely to be banned from this forum for the repeated use of certain words and sentiments.

Just out of interest...in your ‘free society’ is there anything that isn’t allowed and who then decides? Who’s made this ‘unilateral decision’ you speak of anyway?

‘Pushes the boundaries of good taste...’. Congratulations on the understatement of the year.
    You really know how to contribute to a serious debate don’t you...Chubby Brown and Coronation Street?

Tbh...I don’t know much about Chubby Brown...but I suspect certain councils have found him unacceptable in the same way as TV does or in the same way as we are likely to be banned from this forum for the repeated use of certain words and sentiments.

Just out of interest...in your ‘free society’ is there anything that isn’t allowed and who then decides? Who’s made this ‘unilateral decision’ you speak of anyway?
    Errrrrrrrrrrrrm read what I wrote. "Councils" deciding who/what theatres can allow to show.
    Since when was this free society of ours censored, because "woke" individuals decided what's allowed and what isn't?
    You yourself come across as such, that folk shouldn't be allowed to watch such terrible things and I'm stopping you from doing so.
    Was your mum Mary Whitehouse and do you hanker for the Victorian values days?

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?f...lled+sheffield
    https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/20...ed-comics-show
    Last edited by Trickytreesreds; 18-09-2021 at 08:18 AM.

Coronation Street and soaps in general ARE a useful reference in a serious debate, and over the past decade have taken on a number of serious issues with follow-ups after the shows pointing viewers towards where help can be found for anyone so affected. Tick in the box for that as far as I'm concerned, and folk who don't watch it really shouldn't offer an opinion on it

[QUOTE=Trickytreesreds;39868982]Errrrrrrrrrrrrm read what I wrote. "Councils" deciding who/what theatres can allow to show.
    Since when was this free society of ours censored, because "woke" individuals decided what's allowed and what isn't?
    You yourself come across as such, that folk shouldn't be allowed to watch such terrible things and I'm stopping you from doing so.
    Was your mum Mary Whitehouse and do you hanker for the Victorian values days? [\QUOTE]

Tricky...for crying out loud...councils/the authorities have always exercised their powers in this way and ‘this free society of ours’ has always been censored.
    What do you think the 9.00 ‘watershed’ is all about or film classification?
    Even this site is censored, as I’ll attempt to demonstrate, hopefully without getting banned. When was the last time anyone was allowed to use the word ‘c**t’ on here...a term of greeting I believe CB uses most evenings. When was the last time you saw an e**** p**** on TV or even full penetrative ***, no matter how ***** to the plot?
    Blimey even those responsible for the presentation of sports programmes sometimes censor what we see eg...Harvey Elliott’s injury last week and the attention seeking streaker who ‘invaded’ so many cricket matches last summer but never appeared on our screens.

So...no, I don’t hanker after Victorian values or Mary Whitehouse but I am sufficiently grown up to recognise that the authorities do need to sometimes exercise some degree of control over what is available for us to see. Whether your mate ‘poor’ Chubby fits into that category I have no idea but I don’t think fif**** people protesting outside a theatre is going to make much difference.

P.S. Well ****** me...we can’t even spell out 15 on here. See what I mean?

[QUOTE=ramAnag;39869172]
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Errrrrrrrrrrrrm read what I wrote. "Councils" deciding who/what theatres can allow to show.
    Was your mum Mary Whitehouse and do you hanker for the Victorian values days? [\QUOTE]

Tricky...for crying out loud...councils/the authorities have always exercised their powers in this way and ‘this free society of ours’ has always been censored.
    What do you think the 9.00 ‘watershed’ is all about or film classification?
    Even this site is censored, as I’ll attempt to demonstrate, hopefully without getting banned. When was the last time anyone was allowed to use the word ‘c**t’ on here...a term of greeting I believe CB uses most evenings. When was the last time you saw an e**** p**** on TV or even full penetrative ***, no matter how ***** to the plot?
    Blimey even those responsible for the presentation of sports programmes sometimes censor what we see eg...Harvey Elliott’s injury last week and the attention seeking streaker who ‘invaded’ so many cricket matches last summer but never appeared on our screens.

So...no, I don’t hanker after Victorian values or Mary Whitehouse but I am sufficiently grown up to recognise that the authorities do need to sometimes exercise some degree of control over what is available for us to see. Whether your mate ‘poor’ Chubby fits into that category I have no idea but I don’t think fif**** people protesting outside a theatre is going to make much difference.

P.S. Well ****** me...we can’t even spell out 15 on here. See what I mean?
    careful with those v*t*ls rA or I'll have to card you

Page 772 of 922 FirstFirst ... 272672722762770771772773774782822872 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)