+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 810 of 922 FirstFirst ... 310710760800808809810811812820860910 ... LastLast
Results 8,091 to 8,100 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    You can take a horse to water...Swale!

Suspect those who were ‘misguided’ enough to support Brexit will never accept that they were wrong...while those apologists who defended the outcome in the name of ‘democracy’ - despite the web of lies the arguments in favour were built around - are probably too embarrassed to accept their part in the fiasco.

Their only viable argument is the ‘early days’ one which I suspect they’ll still be turning to in five, ten or 15 years time.
    I wouldn't be too sure rA, theres a **** show coming down the road and our spat with the Eu will look sillier and sillier as getting through it will depend upon cooperation especially with regards to food supply!

Sure people like Thicky who lets face it are so far removed from reality it doesn't matter, but most will realise whats been done by this government!

Many high-income economies are suffering 40-year highs in inflation. They all have faced the same series of major supply shocks to their economies simultaneously: reopening of the economy after the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic in spring 2021, global supply chain disruptions for critical goods throughout the last 18 months, and energy and food price shocks caused by Russia's invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Yet, there are significant differences in the inflation experienced. Inflation is particularly acute in the United Kingdom, triggering a cost of living crisis for British households. Comparing like for like in inflation rates, removing the impact of volatile food and energy components, inflation is 1.6 percentage points higher in the UK than in Germany, nearly 3 percentage points higher than in France, and more than 3 percentage points higher than in Italy.
    Of course Brexiteers blame higher UK inflation on war-related food and energy shocks. Such assertions fall flat for several reasons. First, UK core inflation began diverging from Europe by mid-2021, months before the invasion. Second, all European countries are experiencing a jump in food and energy prices; some, like Germany and Italy, are even more exposed to food and energy price shocks than the UK because they are highly reliant on Russian natural gas. In any event, the comparison of core inflation (which excludes food and energy) takes that out. Third, the UK had similar policies on protecting employment to those in France and Germany in response to COVID-19, so the aggregate wage response to reopening should have been roughly the same—but wage inflation has been much higher in the UK.

Most impartial observers state that Brexit, is the primary driver of the high and widening inflation differential between the UK and its European peers shown in the chart: Brexit has amplified the inflationary impact of the range of influences.

Furthermore, as food and energy supply becomes critical, the UK will be hampered by its position not only outside the EU, but outside the single market and customs union.

NL inflation rates 2022. Jan 6.4%, Feb 6.2%, March 9.7, Apr 9.6%. Not good. Especially for pensioners. UK OAP up by 2.8%. NL OAP up by a similar amount. Private pension 0%, the same as it has been for the past 12 years.

This may be just more ‘click bait’ but there are rumours that our illustrious government is seriously considering reintroducing Imperial measurement as a sop to disillusioned Brexiteers and Daily Mail readers.
    Why not? We’ve only spent the last forty five years plus teaching the infinitely more logical and practical metric system and we’re awash with the sort of money needed to introduce such change aren’t we?
    Maybe the realisation that such ‘change’ will spotlight the price of petrol rapidly approaching £10 per gallon might put a halt to such stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    This may be just more ‘click bait’ but there are rumours that our illustrious government is seriously considering reintroducing Imperial measurement as a sop to disillusioned Brexiteers and Daily Mail readers.
    Why not? We’ve only spent the last forty five years plus teaching the infinitely more logical and practical metric system and we’re awash with the sort of money needed to introduce such change aren’t we?
    Maybe the realisation that such ‘change’ will spotlight the price of petrol rapidly approaching £10 per gallon might put a halt to such stupidity.
    Oh dear RA, how dare you?

IT'S APPROACHING £2 A LITRE!!!!

This latest idea from old straw hair is brilliant. It'll be brilliant to be able to go into a pub and once more order a pint instead of the usual 0.568261485 litres.....

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    This latest idea from old straw hair is brilliant. It'll be brilliant to be able to go into a pub and once more order a pint instead of the usual 0.568261485 litres.....
    It’s actually never been illegal to do that so your ridicule, although deserved, is misdirected. It IS illegal to display imperial weights for perishables either alone or before metric. I’ve given up using metric for weights and lengths because the generation BELOW me understand imperial better

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    It’s actually never been illegal to do that so your ridicule, although deserved, is misdirected. It IS illegal to display imperial weights for perishables either alone or before metric. I’ve given up using metric for weights and lengths because the generation BELOW me understand imperial better
    Suspect you mean the generation BEFORE you, AF, and I’m sure you’re right, but you’ve reached that stage in life where there are a whole lot more in the generations that have come after you.
    Indeed those who were last taught Imperial in their latter Primary School years will be in their mid fifties at least by now, so what on earth is the point?

There is no point, except the freedom to do so.
    I concur, Those around my age bracket were filling up in gallons and buying pints. But they don't teach that anymore do they?
    So if granny wants 5lb of spuds or 2lb of sugar, she should be allowed to get it. It isn't hurting anyone is it?

I remember the currency going decimal?
    Though I never got my head around the old way anyway. So in effect, it was always going to die out long term anyway.
    I think there are more pressing things to worry about, than the weights and measures being debated and rallied around.

I must admit that I am one of the die hards that still work in farenheit, feet, inches, pints, pounds and ounces, miles etc as its what I grew up on through childhood and then, by virtue of living in an American environment, another few years of non metrication. I still order meat at deli counters in quarters, at butchers in pounds etc and by and large the shop staff know what I mean.

It is nonetheless interesting when I order, say, half a pound of ham, to see younger staff respond by asking "is that 100 grams" - I shrug and dont know, so we end up with a common denominator of "about 5 thickish slices". Who needs weight anyway.

What is bizarre is that after 40 odd years we still use miles, regularly use pints whilst having largely adopted centimetres and grams. We really need to have grasped the nettle by now and jumped one way or the other. I wouldn't advocate going back to imperial (although I feel more comfortable with it, but I would advocate clarity one way or the other. As I'm sure changing all the road signs is an expensive way forward, I imagine duality will continue.

BUT where is the sense in this - I had a medical a couple of months ago and was told I was 5 foot 10 high and weighed 80 kilos.

Page 810 of 922 FirstFirst ... 310710760800808809810811812820860910 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)