+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relegation Fight a Definite Reality

Relegation Fight a Definite Reality

After being at Parkhead last night only one thing came to mind - how much of a reality relegation is this season. We have a manager who has no belief in his players - his pre and post-match comments made this very obvious. He set up the team with one thing in mind - keep the score down! The players were rabbits in the headlights - they had absolutely no self respect (with the exception of Chris Cadden & Craig Samson). It is time to thank Keith and Stevie for their service and at best keep them on the bench - they are done. Where are the days when Motherwell teams with players like Buff, Softy, luc Nijholt, Jamie Dolan, Colin O'Neil, Owen Coyle got stuck into the Old Firm? They would have been embarassed to see their team last night. I've totally lost respect for the manager and team with their spineless efforts - I can no longer say I'm proud of my team. Until I am I will not be returning to watch them!

It was a different attitude that was on show in Kilmarnock. I agree that Wednesday night's tactics were too defensive, we should have 'had a go'. But we'll be back to a more normal attacking side on Saturday & grateful for all the support we can offer.

Agreed we were dreadful against Celtic, and Mark McGhee more or less gave up before a ball was kicked. But our season will not be decided on how we play against Celtic (Or "The Rangers"), It will be decided on how we play against the other sides in the league. I am not saying we will not struggle, but our tactics will be different, and there are a lot of teams we have the ability to take points from. So after only one game (A victory), it is far to early for doom and gloom

Quote Originally Posted by bheron View Post
    Agreed we were dreadful against Celtic, and Mark McGhee more or less gave up before a ball was kicked. But our season will not be decided on how we play against Celtic (Or "The Rangers"), It will be decided on how we play against the other sides in the league. I am not saying we will not struggle, but our tactics will be different, and there are a lot of teams we have the ability to take points from. So after only one game (A victory), it is far to early for doom and gloom
    No offence mate but the " Celtic or Rangers game wont decde our season" quote is everything that is wrong with Scottish Football. Its basically throwing in the towel in these games and lets the players off easy... yes it does define our season because if you want to challenge for the cups we need a mentality to do it against teams who will always stand in our way for such aspirations. To accept than line merely excuses Motherwell and other clubs any real prospect of doing anything other than turning up.

We may well struggle against the drop this season as I am far from convinced by the players we've brought in and out defence and goalkeeper give me the fear. However, as has been the case for years now, the league will be very tight and the sides evenly matched and capable of beating just about anyone outwith Celtic. I reckon we'll be anywhere from 6th to 12th and we'll trundle along in the league picking up points here and there whilst dropping daft points elsewhere. As for the Scottish Cup? Forget it, as we don't have the bottle for it and we have a manager who has no interest in trying to beat the 'big teams'.

We played at Parkhead like that for several seasons now and under various managers and not been relegated. We were without several first picks and that makes a huge difference in a small squad. Don't forget too competitors like Kilmarnock, Ross County, Inverness and Hamilton were eliminated by lower league opposition. What does that say about them?

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    We played at Parkhead like that for several seasons now and under various managers and not been relegated. We were without several first picks and that makes a huge difference in a small squad. Don't forget too competitors like Kilmarnock, Ross County, Inverness and Hamilton were eliminated by lower league opposition. What does that say about them?
    At last an optimistic post. Agree bheron where mentions “far too early for gloom and doom”.
    As for LSM ... you are a miserable pessimist who relishes any opportunity to post our demise regardless our performance.
    Yes, phish against Celtic but who cares if 1,2,3 ... 5 or 7, it’s the other games that count as very few win Parkhead, who IMO have improved greatly with new manager and budget.
    I predict another top 6 finish and ask again ... Why do you bother and suggest select another sport to deride from Rio 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by steviex View Post
    No offence mate but the " Celtic or Rangers game wont decde our season" quote is everything that is wrong with Scottish Football. Its basically throwing in the towel in these games and lets the players off easy... yes it does define our season because if you want to challenge for the cups we need a mentality to do it against teams who will always stand in our way for such aspirations. To accept than line merely excuses Motherwell and other clubs any real prospect of doing anything other than turning up.
    My post is only about the Maestro91 saying that we are going to be in the relegation struggle. With that in mind, I stand by my post that the games against the bigot brothers, will not have a bearing on that.

It is this lack of belief and fight that seems to be easily accepted by our support that I find pathetic. When I pay my money to support my team I expect belief and 100% effort no matter who they play - not lying down and accepting defeat. It is totally humiliating for us as fans. If we get beaten giving our all we can all be proud of them but that's a long way from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by maestro91 View Post
    It is this lack of belief and fight that seems to be easily accepted by our support that I find pathetic. When I pay my money to support my team I expect belief and 100% effort no matter who they play - not lying down and accepting defeat. It is totally humiliating for us as fans. If we get beaten giving our all we can all be proud of them but that's a long way from happening.
    Agree completely, as culpable as McGhee and the players were on Wednesday, and a long list of previous players and managers have been of the same thing over the years, we as a club are equally culpable as from the stands to the boardroom we are too quick to accept it meekly and bask in the 'glory' of being "a small club punching waaaaay above our weight". For as long as this is generally accepted, nothing will ever change and we will never win anything in the game again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)