+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Insanity is defined as:

Insanity is defined as:

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. This team has for 3 years now consistently showed the same traits:
    Inability to crush inferior opponents.
    Inability to change things around when going behind.
    Lack of killer instinct in front of goal.
    No visible leader on field.
    Poor shots on target ratio.
    Predictable style.
    Choking when near the top of the division.

Despite this our "excellent" squad, "best in the division" remains largel intact. Why then should we expect anything different this year. Even the 4 managers trot out the same stuff. Surely we need a clean out. Somewhere in the squad there lurks a worm of inferiority spreading his malaise through the team. All those infected need to go and go now! We need winners not perennial Silver Medalists.

I agree, I'd go as far as saying we've not been unlucky in recent years, but finished exactly where we should each time. We haven't been good since that short spell with Maclaran when Ibe was in the side giving us pace, arguably over achieving by even reaching playoffs last year.

I don't think that wholesale change is needed though, but we have to do better with transfers than we did last year. Hoping Pearson can sort the players out, not totally convinced but he needs time.

If the wing mirror is broken on your car, do you buy a new car or wing mirror?
    Blimey I've gone all Confucius....

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRam View Post
    If the wing mirror is broken on your car, do you buy a new car or wing mirror?
    Blimey I've gone all Confucius....
    Think you're more confused than Confucius. As far as I know, he never mentioned 'wing mirrors', although it might have got lost in translation as 'ring miwa'.
    Suppose it all depends anyway...if Saturday was anything to go by it looks like a new engine and four new wheels needed to me...but with the personnel and formation (hopefully) chosen tonight you're right, it might just be a case of minor adjustment/replacement.
    Doesn't look like Forestieri is coming anyway.

Actually I did once. It was the final straw on a clapped out heap of junk. ramAnag has it right!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Think you're more confused than Confucius. As far as I know, he never mentioned 'wing mirrors', although it might have got lost in translation as 'ring miwa'. (ooh you racist Mangara)
    Suppose it all depends anyway...if Saturday was anything to go by it looks like a new engine and four new wheels needed to me...but with the personnel and formation (hopefully) chosen tonight you're right, it might just be a case of minor adjustment/replacement.
    Doesn't look like Forestieri is coming anyway.

More chance of getting Tom Forest (one for OTR there)

Its strange really the defence seems to have performed well (3 clean sheets out of 4 games and 2 goals) whereas the much vaunted midfield and attacking options have produced 2/3rds of 5/8ths of **** all. That said we are 2-1-1, in the next round of the cup and mid-early-table. The performances might have been crap but the results are OK - sounds like a return to the Billy Davies years: functionally dull, which is perhaps what most would have expected from a Pearson team trying to find its feet - first ensure you don't lose, then try to find ways to win as a secondary issue.

The problem with the McClaren years is that the philosophy was the opposite and that brought with it inevitable doom. Clement never got a chance to prove himself and Wassall was only ever a stop gap until a real manager could be found. Pearson's approach is clearly different and will need time to bed in: it seems dull when compared to the past few years of champagne football, but what do we want - tedious but promotion or sparkling and failure. I am not sure which the fans do want - we seem to revel in our own failure, I think this could be the "Derby Way", going down in a blaze of glory. Still at least we would have a better song to accompany it than "Steve Bloomer's Watching"

But if we lose at home to Villa, then it will be Pearson Out again
    Last edited by roger_ramjet; 17-08-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post

More chance of getting Tom Forest (one for OTR there)

Its strange really the defence seems to have performed well (3 clean sheets out of 4 games and 2 goals) whereas the much vaunted midfield and attacking options have produced 2/3rds of 5/8ths of **** all. That said we are 2-1-1, in the next round of the cup and mid-early-table. The performances might have been crap but the results are OK - sounds like a return to the Billy Davies years: functionally dull, which is perhaps what most would have expected from a Pearson team trying to find its feet - first ensure you don't lose, then try to find ways to win as a secondary issue.

The problem with the McClaren years is that the philosophy was the opposite and that brought with it inevitable doom. Clement never got a chance to prove himself and Wassall was only ever a stop gap until a real manager could be found. Pearson's approach is clearly different and will need time to bed in: it seems dull when compared to the past few years of champagne football, but what do we want - tedious but promotion or sparkling and failure. I am not sure which the fans do want - we seem to revel in our own failure, I think this could be the "Derby Way", going down in a blaze of glory. Still at least we would have a better song to accompany it than "Steve Bloomer's Watching"

But if we lose at home to Villa, then it will be Pearson Out again
    I will say where we are after the next 7 games - he has to be given time to get the team playing how he wants, I dont expect it to be pretty, but what the guy did with Leicester was no fluke.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)