+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The all too familiar statistics

The all too familiar statistics

Sadly I don't get to many live Pompey matches but follow them on as many different media as possible. Looking at the statistics put out on matches by the BBC gives a scary reality. The figures are the totals from our 3 league matches . They bear a certain resemblance to last season
    Possession : Pompey 59% Opposition 41% we have rather a lot of the ball
    Shots on goal : Pompey 59 Opposition 17 31/2 times as many shots
    Shots on target : Pompey 18 Opposition 5 31/2 times as many on target
    Corners Pompey 32 Opposition 8 4 times as many corners
    Goals Pompey 1 Opposition 3 1/3rd as many goals

How come with 32 corners ,59 shots on goal of which 18 are on target can we only score 1 goal. What the f*** do they practise in training ? Seems to me that we need to sign better strikers than the likes of Smith (who doesn't have a recent scoring record to pull up any trees) and Main.
    We have a huge squad with I would imagine a hefty wage bill... no good dominating for 270 minutes and only scoring once. The tale of the opposition goalkeeper playing out of his skin is getting all too familiar. We have the players to put out 2 virtually identically talented (???) teams... quantity not quality and I have mentioned croneyism before ! Why didn't we sign a recognised goal scorer or at least play Chaplin from the start. With the quantity of shots surely a fox in the box is not a luxury. Not enough imagination with our signings ??
    A bit early in the season to get too worried I suppose... maybe now is the time to put some money on our championship aspirations... the odds will surely have lengthened !!!!!
    I hope this post will come back to haunt me come next May!!
    Last edited by bluekite; 17-08-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Ditto Kitey

Can't for the love of me see this lot finishing anywhere near the Top 3 (I'd love to be wrong). Spoke to Daz today who was at Crewe and Morecambe. He like me is very troubled at what is going on. He said of last night we were ****e 1st half, battered them 2nd but as is often the case, didn't score. I keep moaning at the number of times we shoot over the bar. Memo to myself keep a tally on Saturday of how many go over the top.

Leicester City on average had 49% possessionover the course of the season. It aint stats that win matches it's goals. Perhaps someone should have a word in PC's ear.

Fans on all forums, in the Pub or wherever, have been saying all summer we haven't a goalscorer in the squad. As is so often the case the fans are right. He doesn't appear to want to give Conor a start for whatever reason, I for one will never understand why. We haven't replaced Ben Davies at right back while any team we play must fancy their chances of scoring from dead ball situations. If we do go a goal down tomorrow, or whenever, I'd ask fans to get behind their team. Don't turn on them that wont help anyone.

Fully agree LDB......the fans need to stay with the team, turning on them is not going to help. I've read the Colchester fans comments and even they have Sussed that the Pompey crowd could turn early if things don't go our way due to our "slow" start to the season.

I keep moaning at the number of times we shoot over the bar. Memo to myself keep a tally on Saturday of how many go over the top.[/QUOTE] Just 2 yesterday I made it. Main just before half time when he should have at least hit the target. Then KB with a 2nd half free kick which went high and wide. 3 most welcome points and something to build on

Motty was at the game yesterday, apparently PC told him he was going to have to change playing one up front. Motty just said it on 5live.

Quote Originally Posted by lovedeanblue View Post
    Can't for the love of me see this lot finishing anywhere near the Top 3 (I'd love to be wrong). Spoke to Daz today who was at Crewe and Morecambe. He like me is very troubled at what is going on. He said of last night we were ****e 1st half, battered them 2nd but as is often the case, didn't score. I keep moaning at the number of times we shoot over the bar. Memo to myself keep a tally on Saturday of how many go over the top.
    Memo for me next Saturday is to pray we manage to get a shot on target.

I think I said before,but the October Plymouth match should be a corker.
    7 wins on the trot ...how is it they can do it and we can't...I haven't checked but have they got a complete new squad this season...maybe its Sonny Bradleys influence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)