+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goalkeepers

Goalkeepers

throughout our history queens have been graced with some good keepers, probably because they have had to be lol. My dad talks about Roy Henderson and George farm as being the best he has seen to regularly grace the turf at palmerston, closely followed by Alan ball.

I have to say the best for me was alan Davidson in his prime, with Bally and our current keeper a close joint second. How Davidson never went on to bigger things I will never know.

I remember another keeper fron the late 70's or early 80's called Alan Boles who stood in for Bally when he was out with a broken leg I think, and if I remember he looked half decent. I think he moved on to hearts when Bally returned. Has anyone got any opinions as to who the best was, or who was the worst for that matter

Boles made 10 apps in 1982 then moved to Baillieston Juniors. Budgie long, long past his best was one of the worst keepers I have ever seen at Palmy. Henderson, Bally, Farm and Davidson are my top 4 in any order.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Boles made 10 apps in 1982 then moved to Baillieston Juniors. Budgie long, long past his best was one of the worst keepers I have ever seen at Palmy. Henderson, Bally, Farm and Davidson are my top 4 in any order.
    Ftivano1, I wouldn't disagree with your top four nor with the order in which you have placed them. There is little doubt that if Roy Henderson had played for one of the more fashionable clubs he would have won a string of international honours. As it was, the best he achieved was to be selected as Scotland's reserve goalkeeper (which was largely meaningless because there were no substitutes in those days). What an injustice!

What about Davie Purdie or Rikki Ferguson ?
    Last edited by johnny_dumfries; 19-08-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_dumfries View Post
    What about Davie Purdie or Rikki Ferguson ?
    Riki Ferguson was a bit of a shocker IMO although I thought he came with a bit of a pedigree coming from hamilton who were decent at the time. I think hamilton must have been rubbing there hands when he arrived at palmerston. I always felt sorry for Purdie. I thought he was decent but will always be remembered for the hammering in the cup. I think it was against Forfar and he never recovered from that. more recently I thought Antell wasn't a great signing

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    Riki Ferguson was a bit of a shocker IMO although I thought he came with a bit of a pedigree coming from hamilton who were decent at the time. I think hamilton must have been rubbing there hands when he arrived at palmerston. I always felt sorry for Purdie. I thought he was decent but will always be remembered for the hammering in the cup. I think it was against Forfar and he never recovered from that. more recently I thought Antell wasn't a great signing
    Another keeper that came with a pedigree was a lad we got on loan from Man City who was an England u21 international. Can anyone remind me of his name because it has totally escaped me. I remember seeing him on motd the season before and he was superb, then came to palmerston, I think just after bally's testimonial against Man City when billy McNeil was there manager, and he wasn't to great for us. I think he went back after a month or so.

https://youtu.be/bCVIds1dVGk

Eight past Purdie

alex williams it was fatfan ,i remember our 4-3 win up at montroes ,with williams pulling of some massive saves .

barney davidson was my top keeper for queens ,i remember the 1-1 draw with hearts in the cup ,he pulled of miraculous saves that day ,it was hearts vrs barney ,id place that as the best goal keeping performance iv ever seen from any keeper around the world ,the guy was near unbeatable that day .

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    alex williams it was fatfan ,i remember our 4-3 win up at montroes ,with williams pulling of some massive saves .
    Thanks for that. Been bugging me all morning. Any other day and I could tell you his name but today the more I tried the further it was getting away from me. I also remember Barneys performance against hearts. He done the same against celtic at parkhead in a cup game that we lost 2.1. Was there that night and he was quite brilliant to the point celtic fans applauded when he got mom amid them throwing there scarfs onto the pitch. Can't understand how he never went to a top club. Can only think it must have been his lifestyle cos he had the ability to play at the top level

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)