+ Visit Swindon Town FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Athletes vs Footballers......

Athletes vs Footballers......

Been watching the Olympics and was struck by the determination and energy that our team showed. Such as the Brownlee brothers who had to swim in the sea, cycle and run just for a medal and Laura Trott in her event who spewed up after her event with the effort it took.

I have seen footballers train and many just seem to do a lot of jogging and not intense workouts. I think that footballers could be fitter. Many of our national team earn 6 figures a WEEK and that is a problem because win. lose or draw they are rolling in it, they think they are the bee.s knees but are not as the loss in the Euro's against Iceland showed.

They could also learn from our womens hockey team how to have the balls to win penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by claw84 View Post
    Been watching the Olympics and was struck by the determination and energy that our team showed. Such as the Brownlee brothers who had to swim in the sea, cycle and run just for a medal and Laura Trott in her event who spewed up after her event with the effort it took.

I have seen footballers train and many just seem to do a lot of jogging and not intense workouts. I think that footballers could be fitter. Many of our national team earn 6 figures a WEEK and that is a problem because win. lose or draw they are rolling in it, they think they are the bee.s knees but are not as the loss in the Euro's against Iceland showed.

They could also learn from our womens hockey team how to have the balls to win penalties.
    Evening Claw: They (the footballers) are on a different inflated planet. There was a program on the TV over here a few weeks before Rio about the financial difference between the well known and marketable French athletes and the "also rans" Teddy Riner an unbeatable judoka...2 times olympic champion and God knows how many world titles...is on about 2 million euro a year,which is peanuts compared to footballers, whereas a womens 400 metres runner has to work part time selling shoes to make ends meet.
    But both have the same thing in common, they spew their guts up to do the best for their sport and country.
    Not really sure we can say the same for our "beloved" footballers

Great thread but also a sad one.

I was on a fitness course with a semi pro goalkeeper. Nice guy and obviously fit but his approacjght. i.e. constantly looking at his mobile, not listening, lacking awareness of others abilities etc etc

I left thinking I can see how he never made it big but then thought he must have learnt from others (25 yr old).

He was on the books at Millwall btw - when you were in Champs League a few years back .

He recently left Oxford City (not Utd) to join a club near Northampton.

He tried his luck at MKD but said he hates them as they treated people like sh1t

When we had Lou Macari he got us back to back promotions by shear fitness

Quote Originally Posted by gaz1959 View Post
    Great thread but also a sad one.

I was on a fitness course with a semi pro goalkeeper. Nice guy and obviously fit but his approacjght. i.e. constantly looking at his mobile, not listening, lacking awareness of others abilities etc etc

I left thinking I can see how he never made it big but then thought he must have learnt from others (25 yr old).

He was on the books at Millwall btw - when you were in Champs League a few years back .

He recently left Oxford City (not Utd) to join a club near Northampton.

He tried his luck at MKD but said he hates them as they treated people like sh1t

When we had Lou Macari he got us back to back promotions by shear fitness
    Evening Gaz: that's the problem with a lot of would be footballers. You can have all the natural talent in the world but if you don't work and work and work you will get nowhere. Sometimes you get the idea that once they are in a pro set up they think that then have made it. How many promising youngsters have fallen by the wayside for lack of work ethics.

Many I expect FL

o the big man himself, Kenny Jacket, signed the fellah I'm on about

http:///sport/football/football-news...-lands-6012192
    Last edited by gaz1959; 26-08-2016 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaz1959 View Post
    o the big man himself, Kenny Jacket, signed the fellah I'm on about

http://http/sport/football/football-...-lands-6012192
    Thanks for that Gaz, snapped up by KJ and yet he did not make the grade. As you say they just don't seem to apply themselves

I think FL and Gaz we can agree that footballers let us and the club down on many occasions.
    I see that Ajose is scoring for Charlton, why did he leave Swindon they are both the same size clubs in the same league, it has to be money and as Gaz said it's sad.
    Last edited by gaz1959; 26-08-2016 at 07:07 PM.

Yes seems KJ saw something in him. He is off back to Brackley nr Northampton as I see he was there before in the above link.

Ajose - I did say somewhere here that he could well be the leading L1 scorer as he scored loads for us despite not being given the assists he should have got. I assumed CAFC would have the ability to play to him more and he could bag 25 to 30 this season.

The undisclosed fee is said to be around 800k. Ajose wasn't looking to move but our chairman likes to make a fast buck and cashed in.
    We had Matt Richie go to Bournmouthy for 500k which was so say to pay wages, now he is at Newcastle for a fee of 12m I believe.
    Swindon = no desire to build a strong team and sustain itself. More like find a gem and sell it for a profit.

We are or were favs to go but with a new team how can anyone say that?