+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Time must be up for Davis

I have been long sceptical about SD's retention, but we have started better than I had anticipated and I hope we continue the momentum. We are playing in a lower division, but it is nice to have more victories than defeats and to see the Club in the top half of the table, especially when the TV channels show league tables by top and bottom half. Whether this team is good enough to go up and, if it does, is good enough to stay up in League One is another story. If we are still third after a further 20 league games, that may be the time for such a debate. Still, credit where it is due to SD, not least for some astute signings on virtually no budget.

SD has proved to be tactically clever. His substitutions, which I was sceptical about, have been followed by two *****ly important games to seal wins.
    I think the pairing of Lowe and Dagnall will always cause opposition defenders problems, and supported by Kiwomya (a sad loss for a few weeks) and a resurgent, confident Cooper, we always look likely to score.
    Now is the time for Udoh and Saunders to show their mettle. We can’t keep bringing on midfielders as subs; Lowe and Dagnall will need a break at some stage; and the loss of Alex Kiwomya could be crucial. I think Steve Davis has judged the squad right this season, even though it is still very early. His confidence in his management team seems to rub off on the players. That last comment is based purely on visible evidence, which I have extrapolated to place the praise at Davis’s feet: that doesn’t mean I’m right, it just means it’s my opinion.

Just a thought re Kiwomya.
    Assuming he is out for a minimum of six weeks, and possibly more, it might just work to our advantage, not that I would wish injury on anyone.
    Assuming (once again) that he is happy at Crewe and that Chelsea want him to have game time, then they may well agree to extend his loan until the end of the season, rather than him going back in January.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    Just a thought re Kiwomya.
    Assuming he is out for a minimum of six weeks, and possibly more, it might just work to our advantage, not that I would wish injury on anyone.
    Assuming (once again) that he is happy at Crewe and that Chelsea want him to have game time, then they may well agree to extend his loan until the end of the season, rather than him going back in January.
    With an added bonus in that whilst he's absent one of our own get's game time.

Quote Originally Posted by paddockrefugee View Post
    With an added bonus in that whilst he's absent one of our own get's game time.

So I take it, PR, that you were against SD signing new players, preferring to play our own at all times?
    Personally I like the current balance where he does both - and it seems to be paying off at the minute.
    I don't think Lowe, Daggers and Kiwomya have hindered our own by getting in the way.
    Quite the contrary, I think they have helped to inspire.
    We'll miss Alex for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    So I take it, PR, that you were against SD signing new players, preferring to play our own at all times?
    Personally I like the current balance where he does both - and it seems to be paying off at the minute.
    I don't think Lowe, Daggers and Kiwomya have hindered our own by getting in the way.
    Quite the contrary, I think they have helped to insp
    L I k e

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    Quite the contrary, I think they have helped to inspire.
    We need the balance of our own plus players from outside the club. Guys like Lowe and Dagnall enhance our ethos. I was simply stating that hopefully one of ours will get the chance to increase their sale potential at the same time as benefitting the team.

Quote Originally Posted by paddockrefugee View Post
    Guys like Lowe and Dagnall enhance our ethos ........

Agreed. And Kiwomya!

Going back to the original thread, and taking into account what has been said, I think we can safely say - on results so far - that Steve Davis and his management team have created a squad with an attitude markedly different from the past two seasons. I think he seems slightly more aloof, allowing Collins to be 'one of the lads' and this, perhaps, engenders more respect for his role.
    I also feel that by appointing Lowe as Captain and using Dagnall as his 'partner' encourages the younger members. Cooper, in particular, has been a revelation these last few games. I also see Jones shaking off his stuttering performances of last season and getting back to the form that shows his skill.
    So, to sum up, I think Steve Davis has changed his attitude and the squad is benefitting from that. Long may it continue.
    COYRs

For me, today is the reflection time (at 5pm) on how we are doing. I have to say now, a win today will keep me in "ok" camp. L2 D4 W5 is ok.

L2 D5 W4 is 'requires better'. L3 D4 W4 just isn't good enough! 16 from 33 isn't a good enough return after the last 3 seasons and a drop down in standard - and boy is it a drop down.

Need to win today

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast