+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skipper apologises to fans

Skipper apologises to fans

That's good of him to appoligise (some still will tell him to take a hike ) I know it's a team effort and they should be blamed as a team but for me there was only a few players on Saturday that let us and the team down and I feel for the ones you actually put effort in.
    There was a few lazy players on the pitch and that's what got my goat

For those of us that have played football - the problem was more about shape and responsibilities than actually lazyness. To put "effort" in to a match where your team isn't firing on all cylinders can look like headless chickens - and while we as supporters want blood - sweat & tears - within a professional team you could like a clown and isolate yourself - drawing criticism from the bench. No it's a team game!

Saturday at Barnsley was all about:

A SETTLED side v a NEW side

A SETTLED shape v a NEW shape

And a lucky bounce followed closely by a to talk floor of a goal!

Game over - NEXT.....!

WE WILL GET BETTER !

For those of us who have played football (sarcasm) Yes I've played football, yes I've been in charge of a team, yes ive had to be a ref in some games.

A player takes the ball from you, you decide to turn your back and leave it to others, that's more than lazy
    Camp has the ball looking who wants it, you turn your back and slowly walk up the field knowing there's a good run through the middle, that's lazy.

That's being polite, I could use far better words than lazy.

Sarcasm NO - I'm NOT from Sheffield!

I think as a fan v as a footballer we look to different qualities - effort - blood - sweat and tears stuff - they used to shout "Muck a nettles" or something like that !

I would like a better translation to that phrase but - in context to when it was shouted - it was always in the heat of battle!

A strong tackle - can raise the crowd and change the game...BUT....

When a team isn't firing - players can hide - knowing the next ball isn't on - the out ball isn't obvious and they ( as individuals ) don't want to be the one to cock it up when it's really the "TEAMS" Fault!

I know exactly what you mean but "EFFORT" alone isn't the answer !

I remember playing an old pro's team as a kid and my team were fit as foook - but the old pro's ran us into the ground without breaking a sweat ! We were no dumbbells either - BUT SHAPE and CONFIDENCE beat energy and effort !

More TEAM bonding and building required and WE WILL IMPROVE !

SHAPE SHAPE SHAPE and a forward line would help as well !

Quote Originally Posted by lbj View Post
    Sarcasm NO - I'm NOT from Sheffield!

I think as a fan v as a footballer we look to different qualities - effort - blood - sweat and tears stuff - they used to shout "Muck a nettles" or something like that !

I would like a better translation to that phrase but - in context to when it was shouted - it was always in the heat of battle!

A strong tackle - can raise the crowd and change the game...BUT....

When a team isn't firing - players can hide - knowing the next ball isn't on - the out ball isn't obvious and they ( as individuals ) don't want to be the one to cock it up when it's really the "TEAMS" Fault!

I know exactly what you mean but "EFFORT" alone isn't the answer !

I remember playing an old pro's team as a kid and my team were fit as foook - but the old pro's ran us into the ground without breaking a sweat ! We were no dumbbells either - BUT SHAPE and CONFIDENCE beat energy and effort !

More TEAM bonding and building required and WE WILL IMPROVE !

SHAPE SHAPE SHAPE and a forward line would help as well !
    It took Neil Warnock one game to settle on his shape, the 0-0 draw with Birmingham. Confidence is a get-out clause. Just imagine if you went into work and told your boss you wouldn't work hard because you were short in confidence.
    The biggest problem is a midfield that likes to play it around, but don't have a tackle between the. It's happened against everyone including Morecambe. Leaving Halford out and not playing him in his best position, in front of our back four was barmy. None of the midfield can tackle, none take responsibilty for defending and so leave the defence to take the blame when players run through. Look how many shots we had blocked and look how much space Hamill had to shoot in. It's obvious the midfield is physically weak and surrendered once the goals went in and they certainly didn't get forward to support Ward, so what were they doing?

One thing Stubbs and his army of assistants could do, is stop us being more likely to concede at our corners than score. Set pieces are so dire, we#re better of setting up for them to be headed out, cos we don't set ourselves up to score from them.

Quote Originally Posted by redandgreen View Post
    It took Neil Warnock one game to settle on his shape, the 0-0 draw with Birmingham. Confidence is a get-out clause. Just imagine if you went into work and told your boss you wouldn't work hard because you were short in confidence.
    The biggest problem is a midfield that likes to play it around, but don't have a tackle between the. It's happened against everyone including Morecambe. Leaving Halford out and not playing him in his best position, in front of our back four was barmy. None of the midfield can tackle, none take responsibilty for defending and so leave the defence to take the blame when players run through. Look how many shots we had blocked and look how much space Hamill had to shoot in. It's obvious the midfield is physically weak and surrendered once the goals went in and they certainly didn't get forward to support Ward, so what were they doing?

One thing Stubbs and his army of assistants could do, is stop us being more likely to concede at our corners than score. Set pieces are so dire, we#re better of setting up for them to be headed out, cos we don't set ourselves up to score from them.
    Spot on redandgreen.
    AS has recruited a bunch of lightweight midfielders, one of whom didn't want to be here in the first place and it shows.
    I'm fed up of the excuse that they're new players and need time to gel and adapt to the system AS wants to employ.
    They're supposed to be professional footballers who presumably have spent a lot of time in training working on the manager's plans but still don't seem to "get it."
    Too many on Saturday were hiding and not showing for the ball which is incredibly frustrating, not to say pathetic.
    I felt sorry for Jon Taylor who at least kept trying to make something happen but more often than not didn't have a team mate to pass to because no one had matched his runs.
    At the moment we have no leaders in the side and the sooner Frecks is available again the better but it's worrying that we are so reliant one one man.
    The bunch of players that AS has brought in need to stand up and start taking responsibility for their performances.
    Anything else is totally unacceptable

The capitulation witnessed on Saturday once the game got to 2-0 is unforgivable.

In that situations you continue to do the basics maintain your shape and look to find a foothole into the game.

2-0 is the worst score in the world to defend, once the opposition get it back to 2-1 anything can happen, Derby last year being an ideal example.

Instead our lot stopped doing the basics and threw the towel in.

The most worrying thing is you could write off the 0-3 reverses at Villa and Brighton because they are expected to be at the top end of the division pushing for promotion, but to then follow these up with a 0-4 reversal as a supposed relegation rival then you can see why so many fans are worried.

It will take more than signing a striker to sort this mess out, less than 36 hours of the transfer window left, tic tock Mr Stubbs.

Yep good points made on this thread. We do need to be more organised. We do need more bite in midfield. 2 tackling midfielders should be a minimum particularly away from home. That is why Smallwood should have played instead of Alan or Forster Caskey at Baaarnsley. I am not against one or the other of these 2 playing as an attacking midfielder but they are not capable of defensive duties. We also need our wingers to track back and help. Think Newell coming back will help ln this.I have a feeling things will pick up when Frecks comes back, lets hope its sooner rather than later.

its was as clear as mud to sum after the first game CB, right back all crap. right wing left wing. strikers. all needed. and the same folk were shouting. dont fill these spots with hasbeenz. get some youngens in who we can sell in the future for a profit.
    AS has done exactly what 90% of folk on this message board wanted. with the exception of a couple of strikers.
    some will argue hes crap and hes crap. after the 12 player clear out in the summer we needed atleast 14 players to cover for this season. we have 11 so far. did folk think everyone was going to be great signings? thankfully 2 of the ones who are not turning out to be great are only on loan.
    like everyone else if we dont get those strikers in, i wont be a happy bunny. though if we do get a couple in, along with the 4 injured players things will start to become rosy

AS gets these players playing as a team and were going to be in for a great season. keep the faith monkey boys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast