+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: defence- what's the answer?

defence- what's the answer?

we all know what our weakness is -there's probably nobody that doesn't. However, knowing our weakness obviously isn't enough- What do we do about it? Any ideas?

For a starter, I would like to say that we need to stop the compression of the back line such that our full backs are not leaving loads of space for wingers/backs to get behind us/get control of the ball with enough time to get a cross in.

Any further thoughts?

having see the goal it seems an odd mistake, they are moving forward with the ball and both Bakayago and Kirk decide to move up and so don't pick the man up. Were they trying to offside?

16 after 12 games is good by our usual standards, usually about 30 conceded by now if we were still in League 1.

Well I would start with two full-backs, proper full-backs, not midfielders or center-backs who can fill in. I'm not complaining about Zooms or Turton as I think they are good players, just not full-backs.

Has SD ever used two full-backs (in their correct position)?

I would like to see two proper full backs also. Plus, Guthrie and Nugent at the back. Too many silly goals being given away to free headers.

Quote Originally Posted by Furberstreet View Post
    I would like to see two proper full backs also. Plus, Guthrie and Nugent at the back. Too many silly goals being given away to free headers.
    Nugent is cover for Guthrie, Ray appears to be cover for Davis. Nugent seems to be (rightly in my view) 4th in the pecking order.

Technically, and at L2 level, I think we may have the best we can get. What I have noticed over the last few seasons - with a few notable exceptions - is that the defenders, when under pressure, are left to sort the attacker out while his colleagues track back to cover other attackers. I'd like to see a system of back-up employed.
    With the knowledge and experience of Lowe this might work, as he is always tracking back to help out and encourages others to do the same.
    Then again, I'm just a spectator.

I really have to say that I am totally fed up of supporters blaming our back four (defence). There are two factors which are actually to blame. The first is Davis and Collins incredibly weird tactics which are baffling. The second is our complete and utter lack of any competitive midfield. Virtually every ball in the middle of the field is won by the opposition. When do you ever see any of our midfield tackling or closing down opponents? they just retreat and let the opposition make 20 -30 yard runs right through the middle. The result is the back four are overrun and don`t know whether to come out to tackle or stay in position.

At the end of the day it is the fault of Davis and Collins. They are obsessed with zonal marking regarding the defence and midfield. I fervently believe we need a new assistant manager asap.

Our porous midfield has been a problem for a few seasons. The ball is cleared and often it comes back straight away giving the defence no respite.

Agree with those that state that you can't simply blame our defence. I am not in the 'Davis Out' camp but i do believe that it's our tactics that are our downfall on this particular issue. We were never renowned for being a defensive side but i believe that our defending statistics have deteriorated since the days of Dario for one reason, we've gradually played less and less football and now seem to rely on the long ball game which we don't know how to play and nor do we have the personnel to play. We don't keep the ball anymore, we don't play exciting football anymore, instead we pump it long and then wonder why the ball is immediately back in our own half and we're not dominating against some bang average sides.

Our young players are brought through the academy and taught to play good and skillful football throughout. They are then thrown into the first team (if they're lucky) and everything that they have learnt becomes completely irrelevant. Is it a coincidence that we are no longer selling players?

The club is currently stuck in the middle of the road with contrasting views and tactics throughout. The defence are being blamed because quite simply, it's too easy to suss us out and score against us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast