+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: defence- what's the answer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

defence- what's the answer?

we all know what our weakness is -there's probably nobody that doesn't. However, knowing our weakness obviously isn't enough- What do we do about it? Any ideas?

For a starter, I would like to say that we need to stop the compression of the back line such that our full backs are not leaving loads of space for wingers/backs to get behind us/get control of the ball with enough time to get a cross in.

Any further thoughts?

having see the goal it seems an odd mistake, they are moving forward with the ball and both Bakayago and Kirk decide to move up and so don't pick the man up. Were they trying to offside?

16 after 12 games is good by our usual standards, usually about 30 conceded by now if we were still in League 1.

Well I would start with two full-backs, proper full-backs, not midfielders or center-backs who can fill in. I'm not complaining about Zooms or Turton as I think they are good players, just not full-backs.

Has SD ever used two full-backs (in their correct position)?

I would like to see two proper full backs also. Plus, Guthrie and Nugent at the back. Too many silly goals being given away to free headers.

Quote Originally Posted by Furberstreet View Post
    I would like to see two proper full backs also. Plus, Guthrie and Nugent at the back. Too many silly goals being given away to free headers.
    Nugent is cover for Guthrie, Ray appears to be cover for Davis. Nugent seems to be (rightly in my view) 4th in the pecking order.

Technically, and at L2 level, I think we may have the best we can get. What I have noticed over the last few seasons - with a few notable exceptions - is that the defenders, when under pressure, are left to sort the attacker out while his colleagues track back to cover other attackers. I'd like to see a system of back-up employed.
    With the knowledge and experience of Lowe this might work, as he is always tracking back to help out and encourages others to do the same.
    Then again, I'm just a spectator.

I think I've said it before. We don't have enough players who can actually hold on to the ball for very long. Murphy and Sorvel were both immovable players and could hang on until someone got into a good position. We don't really have that at the moment. The players don't use up the space in front of them, preferring to pass immediately. Fortunately, up front, we have (when Kiwomya gets back) at least two ball carriers who can take the ball upfield and keep it away from the defence for a while. Unfortunately the midfield rarely ventures forward and, as mentioned above, are always too ready to drop back and concede space. We need to close down UP the field.