+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cleveland "No Names"

The Cleveland "No Names"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37639638

This raises its head again. The Cleveland Indians Chief Wahoo is racist. I like baseball and I clung onto the Indians as a nipper (When MLB was on sky) as I thought they had the coolest badge. Being young I did not realise the racist stereotyping that it conveyed. To this day I still watch the Indians on BT Sport and they have a real chance at the World Series. If they beat the Blue Jays they are going there. I have an extensive collection of Indians emblazoned caps. They are the only team I go out my way to watch as well as the Dons

But is it racist? Yes I suppose it is offensive. But I didn't used to be?

My issue with this is its a reasonably new thing to call out the team for racism as the first official case noted was in 1997 a full 87 years since the team formed. Is it a case of the world has gone to PC?, the world has gone soft and more easily offended? they have a point? If they do have a point then why has it only been an issue for 20 years and not 116 years?

Also to add after the way the Native Americans were treated in America its a bit late to stick up for them now

But its not just Cleveland that get stick, The Washington Redskins (NFL) (were even going to change their name recently), The Atlanta Braves (MLB ), Kansas City Chiefs (NFL) and the Chicago Blackhawks (NHL) all get it too

The Chief Wahoo logo is still used but not to the extent it used to be as the uniforms are now emblazoned with the "C" logo.

Thoughts? Most folk probably dinna give a sh@te on here.

Edit-Sh@te wrong forum

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37639638

This raises its head again. The Cleveland Indians Chief Wahoo is racist. I like baseball and I clung onto the Indians as a nipper (When MLB was on sky) as I thought they had the coolest badge. Being young I did not realise the racist stereotyping that it conveyed. To this day I still watch the Indians on BT Sport and they have a real chance at the World Series. If they beat the Blue Jays they are going there. I have an extensive collection of Indians emblazoned caps. They are the only team I go out my way to watch as well as the Dons

But is it racist? Yes I suppose it is offensive. But I didn't used to be?

My issue with this is its a reasonably new thing to call out the team for racism as the first official case noted was in 1997 a full 87 years since the team formed. Is it a case of the world has gone to PC?, the world has gone soft and more easily offended? they have a point? If they do have a point then why has it only been an issue for 20 years and not 116 years?

Also to add after the way the Native Americans were treated in America its a bit late to stick up for them now

But its not just Cleveland that get stick, The Washington Redskins (NFL) (were even going to change their name recently), The Atlanta Braves (MLB ), Kansas City Chiefs (NFL) and the Chicago Blackhawks (NHL) all get it too

The Chief Wahoo logo is still used but not to the extent it used to be as the uniforms are now emblazoned with the "C" logo.

Thoughts? Most folk probably dinna give a sh@te on here.

Edit-Sh@te wrong forum
    It's tricky. I love going to the US, go over quite often to visit my brother (shout out to G if he's snooping). In my experience the folk there have a funny relationship with Native Americans. A kind of deep seated guilt when the subject is brought up which is extremely rarely. I read something that said the majority of Native Americans in a poll didn't mind the Redskins moniker but that was by the Washington Post so they may have a vested interest (link below but not attached, still to figure this out). My own view is that the Resdskins as a name derives from a term of abuse and so should probably be ditched. Cleveland Indians seems ok in that regard but there is also the issue of cultural appropriation which would be harder to defend.

Anyway, how the playoffs going to go? Was disappointed but completely unsurprised when the Giants bullpen fell apart again. Cleveland were canny as fu(k against the Red Sox, kinda hope they keep it going against the Blue Jays. Anyone but the Dodgers tbh. Cubs still favourites tho.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...f9a_story.html

Quote Originally Posted by StandfreeFM View Post
    It's tricky. I love going to the US, go over quite often to visit my brother (shout out to G if he's snooping). In my experience the folk there have a funny relationship with Native Americans. A kind of deep seated guilt when the subject is brought up which is extremely rarely. I read something that said the majority of Native Americans in a poll didn't mind the Redskins moniker but that was by the Washington Post so they may have a vested interest (link below but not attached, still to figure this out). My own view is that the Resdskins as a name derives from a term of abuse and so should probably be ditched. Cleveland Indians seems ok in that regard but there is also the issue of cultural appropriation which would be harder to defend.

Anyway, how the playoffs going to go? Was disappointed but completely unsurprised when the Giants bullpen fell apart again. Cleveland were canny as fu(k against the Red Sox, kinda hope they keep it going against the Blue Jays. Anyone but the Dodgers tbh. Cubs still favourites tho.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...f9a_story.html

I would agree with you Stand Free that Redskins should be ditched, which is a pity as my American Football team is the redskins and I chose them as they had "Red" in their name (and a WR called Charlie Brown and liked snoopy at that age)

Quote Originally Posted by Br0chred View Post
    I would agree with you Stand Free that Redskins should be ditched, which is a pity as my American Football team is the redskins and I chose them as they had "Red" in their name (and a WR called Charlie Brown and liked snoopy at that age)
    As good a reason as any. I chose the Jets because of The Wonder Years. That wee pr!ck Fred Savage has cursed me to a lifetime of disappointment...

]
    I would love to see the Indians get there but any of the 4 can win it. I was in San Diego on season open day 2 years ago and the Padres were playing the Dodgers and all the bars were stowed out with Dodger fans and I found them to be obnoxious loud mouth pr@cks. The only pr@cks I met in three weeks of being in that neck of the woods. So for that f@ck the Dodgers

I cant watch any of the playoffs as streaming out here doesn't work and just by sods law I will be in the air on route to Amsterdam on way home when the final game of the World Series is on. So I miss the lot.Gutted
    Last edited by Pacman1903; 14-10-2016 at 09:19 AM.

Let's just call them the Cleveland Steamers.

As good a reason as any. I chose the Jets because of The Wonder Years. That wee pr!ck Fred Savage has cursed me to a lifetime of disappointment...
    But they play in green?????

Steelers or Falcons for the Superbowl. Calling it now

Or Vikings just because their D-Fence looks awesome.

Pac- interesting thought. I am an Indians fan principally because of the film Major League, and I have several caps etc as I like the logo. Find it difficult to come to a real conclusion, as My over-riding opinion is that the world has gone OTT re political correctness, but cannot ignore where the Native American has been wronged. I am not sure the logo or Indians name are offensive (tho who am I to judge!) but agree with the above that the Redskins can more clearly be seen as inappropriate. Really hope the Indians can make the World Series.

I asked my yank/mexican room mate what his views were and he couldn't care less and its a case of the world going soft. He also pointed out that the people who get offended by this are usually Caucasian and its not the Natives themselves. Polls have been held and they don't care

He was also telling me that where he went to high school, the hand egg team were called the "Cotton Pickers" due to the rich cotton tradition in the town (Texas somewhere). There was no slavery ever in his town and all walks of life worked in the cotton fields, but the name was deemed racist by a group of soft c@nts. So much so that there was a movement to get the name changed. It was a big story was on ESPN and made national news. So the vote went ahead with the towns people and former pupils allowed to vote for change or no change. 98% were in favour of keeping the name. Up yours PC police.

But again this had been the team name for decades but only recently it was deemed racist(even without any slavery background to it).

He also told me BP had a rig in the Gulf of Mexico called the Crazy Horse and so many people complained about it BP got sick of it and changed it to the Thunder Horse.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast