+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Quarter Season Evaluation

Quarter Season Evaluation

We are just past 1/4 of the way through the season with 12 matches played thus far in the Championship. Thought it'd be good to hear some thoughts on how the team looks, what we can build on, what needs to be re-thought and what we'd like to see going forward.

Obviously I have not been privy to watch but a game or two, but I have listened to most of the matches and have read every match report I can find. It seems that we can't put together a quality 90 minutes. Our second halves seem to be better than our first halves. Maybe that indicates that Zenga is a good in-game manager/motivator but struggles with putting together the gameplan heading into matchday. He also hasn't seemed to settle on who he thinks are his best players. Batth, Doherty, Iorfa, Ikeme and Bod seem to be his preferred players, with those having started almost every game in which they've been available. Saiss has been a staple since coming over, so he could probably be in that group as well. Interesting that of the top 6 players that have started and appeared in the most matches, five of them are players that were on the roster last season. Seems like the newbies have yet to find their niche within Zenga's system. I expect that to change though as nine of our six**** league goals have come from the new players.

Our biggest struggle seems to be our inability to finish. We've had loads of chances this season where we've just bottled the finish or can't find that bit of quality in the final third. I expect some of that will change with Dicko getting healthier, but it may mean we have to bring in another finisher in the January transfer window.

We also seem to struggle with allowing chances. You can never question Batth's passion or effort, but he's had to lay out for a block or last ditch tackle too often this season. Could be a problem with his pace, or lack of quality second CB or bad positioning orders from Ikeme, maybe the fullbacks are getting beat or allowing too much space for crosses - I don't know. But we've given up too much in the final third IMO.

I'd like Zenga to settle on his core. I think he's starting to do that with Ikeme;Batth-Iorfa; Saiss; Bod forming the spine. I'd like to add another finisher in January if the players we currently have aren't getting the job done. But we've already invested alot in Tex, Costa and Cavaleiro that I don't know if that is where we'll see the money go in January.

These are just my ramblings. Many of you will know better than I.

You've hit the nail on the head with what saying about Wolves putting the ball in the net and also goals that Wolves concede. Chances are being created at one end, but putting them away is a big problem at the moment. Individual errors at the back is costing us.

With Zenga only taking charge of Wolves five days before the start of this current season Wolves have been playing catch up ever since. His chopping and changing hasn't helped, but how is supposed to see what players can do without giving them game time? So under Zenga, we've seen the highs of very good victories over the likes of Blues and Newcastle away. At home, Wolves have suffered with a big home defeat against Barnsley and fully deserved.

When Zenga took over i wanted him to succeed as the club under new owners was a fresh start for everyone. He wasn't a name i would have come out with when the club was looking to replace Jackett. Even this early in his reign i think he is under pressure. Defeat at Blackburn on Saturday could spell the end.

Sorry I didn't comment earlier on your excellent post Mich. I just couldn't see Walter lasting much longer the way things were going. Much now depends on Fosun making the right appointment for the future.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)