+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 LastLast

Thread: Guff football is pish

All this chatter about an elite European Super League makes me hanker back to the days when football was a pariah, the hooligans ruled the roost in derelict unloved football stadiums with fans taking cover under cowsheds even in the top leagues around the country.

Of course, the Hillsborough disaster changed all that (although nothing much seemed to happen after Heysel and the Valley Parade fire in 1985) but even back then you could buy games on Spectrum and C64 that involved elite European Super Leagues.

However, for fans that attended their first game in the 1960s,1970s & 1980s, the game, at least at the elite level, is being snatched away by the corporates. It was those same fans though that initiated the demise by supporting Sky in the 1990s by buying subscriptions to watch Guffball.

I won't watch any second of the ESL if it happens but then I don't watch hardly anything of the EPL or the Champions League. The game is already starting to fracture by those 'new' fans to the game, especially from Asia but also from the middle classes of Europe to the 'old school' type of fan who identify with working class roots of the game of the club representing the community in which you live, and the 'matchday' experience being nothing more than a couple of pints before and few after.

The likes of Liverpool will soon play matches across the world and will inevitably detach from the community of which they emerged. They will be Liverpool in name only, although Manchester United have been like that since they used the Munich Air Disaster to promote the club across the world.

For me though, if it's a choice between Montrose v Stenhousemuir or Real Madrid v Liverpool then I would always choose the former. But then the European Super League wouldn't be created with people like me in mind.

The only positive I can see will be the inevitable implosion of the 'greatest league in the world'. Now, I definitely would tune in for that...

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    The end game.

See that satellite subscription? That’s what’s done it.

Get it to **** out of your dwelling, and our game.
    Yes, that was when it all went wrong and now this is what they wanted.

No doubt the two cheeks will be dropping their drawers to the EPL now and good ***cing riddance to them.

Sad thing is, many will lap it up and it will get through at some stage as that what happens when you let Americans loose in our game.

Uefa should call their bluff, I bet the clubs don't actually have the bottle to go through with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    **** them all. It's natural that this would happen. Lots of people will watch it and love it.
    Exactly

F’uckin hilarious to listen to the folk that organised the last breakaway behaving like victims.

As for the fans moaning?
    These are the fans who are prepared and able to pay ridiculous prices for tickets.

As for the rest?
    Cancel your SKY* subscription or shut the f’uck up.

Scotland’s no better.

Premier league my a’rse, and now we have copied the english giving the leagues stupid names, it makes even less sense.

League one is third division isn’t it?

* SKY or whatever else is popular at the moment.
    Last edited by donsdaft; 19-04-2021 at 08:39 PM.

It can't be a super league if Spurs are in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    It can't be a super league if Spurs are in it.
    But they’re a top soccer ball team , they’re 7th in the premier league so of course they should be in a super league.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    New champions league format sounds smashing.

'new spots for elite clubs that have failed to qualify'

That’s us, innit?
    It's almost at though this new super league kerfuffle has been deliberately designed to deflect away from the new chumps league format.

An awful lot of hand-wringing and anger from those who bought into the whole Thatcherite jungle-law rhetoric and approach initially, never having understood that this is its not-yet-ultimate distillation.

20 years ago I told the thick Jute (tautology, I know) with whom I travelled to work that I had no interest in Real Madrid (we swatted them aside one evening 38 years ago) playing AC Milan that evening its being just one vested capitalist interest against another, and that I struggle to watch any fitba in which I don’t have a stake, or cursory interest.

My mantra remains “if it isn’t the Dons or Keith, I don’t really give a fuuck”, including international fitba and women’s fitba.

Anyone who has helped build towards this inevitable outcome through subscribing to the services propping it up might reconsider their renewal request, or cancel as soon as possible. No excuses.

Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?

Great *** Pistols quote

Our very own chairman wanted an Atlantic league (or such like) but Celtic stopped it progressing because they weren’t keen at that moment. So as a club we would jump aboard anything that remotely gives us a good bit cash.
    We do have a vested American interest in our club though so that is the most probable cause of jumping ship as such. If I remember correctly UEFA were supposedly giving it the go ahead. They are fine ones to squeal and moan when the big clubs decide to take matters into their own hands!
    My opinion about the whole escapade is that greed has got the better of the sport. FIFA and UEFA etc only have themselves to blame. The ones who really lose out are the fans who make football passionate. Nowadays it’s just a toy for the super rich to play with.

Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 LastLast