+ Visit Scotland Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any views on the FIFA poppy ban for the England-Scotland game

Any views on the FIFA poppy ban for the England-Scotland game

Keep it nice now and all views welcomed.

aye, if you want to wear a poppy then wear one.....and to hell wi what any o the right on brigade, guffington post readers and assorted other greetin faced kants say.

we will not forget them......ever.

....and that is ma own particular opinion on this particular topical matter in question......ken?

Quote Originally Posted by ed_Scottishfitba1 View Post
    Keep it nice now and all views welcomed.
    I'll go then. It's a choice to wear a Poppy, the FA's of England and Scotland had chosen for their national sides to wear poppies on their shirts, so FIFA have taken away that choice, thus making what those brave souls fought for redundant, the freedom of choice, incidentally did FIFA ever condone Argentina of the unveiling of a 'Las Malvinas Son Argentinas' banner before an international match a year or two ago, as seeing the Falkland Islands are British Territory, by law and choice, surely the Argentinians were making a political point.

FIFA are the most corrupt organisation in world sport, but they could have shown some degree of common sense by saying to both the English and Scottish FA's that poppies can be worn, but if individual players wish not to wear them then that is their choice and should be respected, but as i have already said, FIFA are not into choices and freedom it would seem.

FIFA who are the world's most corrupt organisation will be held as beacons of morality for keeping politics out of football by the yahoo, who ironically continually bang on about politics and their football team.

Both nations should tell FIFA where to go, put the poppies on the shirts and take a fine, anyone taking offence to the poppy on the shirt should also be told where to go, the push to make the poppy a political symbol comes exclusively from the jumper knitters and the republicans.

Wearing a poppy should be a personal decision, not one made by your employer, by FIFA or anyone else.

If a player wants to wear a poppy on his Football shirt, then that's fine, his decision, same goes if he doesn't want to.

My own opinion is that reflecting on those who gave their lives in the two World Wars (from every country) should be a respectful & dignified thing & doesn't really belong in the sporting arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Mook1 View Post
    Wearing a poppy should be a personal decision, not one made by your employer, by FIFA or anyone else.

If a player wants to wear a poppy on his Football shirt, then that's fine, his decision, same goes if he doesn't want to.

My own opinion is that reflecting on those who gave their lives in the two World Wars (from every country) should be a respectful & dignified thing & doesn't really belong in the sporting arena.
    Disagree, I believe a sporting arena, and a game such as this played on armistice day is absolutely the time and the place to show respect and remembrance to the fallen, we shouldn't be ashamed to show our gratitude and respect to the people who lost their lives so that we can live freely. Their brothers in arms from the wars who are still alive today will be humbled and moved by this, not offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Mook1 View Post

Nail on the head there Mook. And UEFA are hypocritical in this as they have previous for permitting political displays

Quote Originally Posted by Rangersmandownunder View Post
    Disagree, I believe a sporting arena, and a game such as this played on armistice day is absolutely the time and the place to show respect and remembrance to the fallen, we shouldn't be ashamed to show our gratitude and respect to the people who lost their lives so that we can live freely. Their brothers in arms from the wars who are still alive today will be humbled and moved by this, not offended.
    I don't think anyone was suggesting that a WW2 veteran would be offended by a Football player running about with a poppy on his jersey.

Whether they would be 'humbled & moved' by it, is another question & probably depends on the individual.

So its OK to post about poppy issues now on this forum.Can you let me know why mine was moved?

Oh dear - they won't like that

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)