Strange one this.

During the independence referendum the constituency of East Dunbartonshire returned 79,000 voters as having turned out. This was supposed to represent 81% turnout.

That would put the complete number at 96,000 approximately.

The actual number of voters registered on the electoral roll, according to the most recent records, was actually just under 67,000.

Now whilst 16 and 17 year old were given the vote can that account for 29,000 extra votes? That's almost half the total number on the voters roll.

So around 29,000 kids at schools voted on independence?

Do any of these numbers strike anyone else as odd? That a single demographic group with a range of just TWO years, should represent a full third of the electorate? Because this is what these figures are telling me.

The first referendum ballot papers were destroyed, except for records of the votes for yes and no, and the turnout. But these turnout numbers far exceed what I expected to see especially when we KNOW what the voters roll was just before 2014.

For the numbers of 16 and 17 year olds from three small towns to exceed 29,000 seems to me to be deeply suspect.

Arithmetic was not my strong suit at school but do 15,000 kids leave 5th year in East Dunbartonshire every year?