+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Five home defeats in row after tonight's hiding.

Five home defeats in row after tonight's hiding.

I didn't attend but it sounded dire, can anyone who went comment? If so it's surely time now for Davis's exit, we can't win nor score enough goals and getting beat like this to a pretty average team is terrible, a new manager now whilst the season is fairly young, any other opinions?

I am no fan of Davis but let's be real! Our team was missing at least 4 of its most experienced, and key, first choice players.

...and other squad men like Ray and Bingham are also not available to fill in

A lot of our attacking threat comes from Dagnall, Lowe, Turton and Bakayogo. It's not always great but none of them were there to start tonight and it showed

Lads like Udoh, Ainley, Ng, Wintle and Saunders cannot suddenly appear and set the world alight and some of them probably never will! We needed Cooper, Kiwomya and Garratt to play at their very best to have a chance because we do not defend well.

The manager has to take his share of the blame but Cheltenham were physically stronger and got the type of weak referee they would have hoped for tonight

Credit to Jones, Hollands and Ainley tonight. We will not sack the manager while sitting in play off position but our next few games will be a struggle because our squad support players are youngsters who cannot step up en bloc to compete consistently at this level

Yes I went and it was worse than dire. We made a poor side look like premiership contenders. Absolutely agree it is time for Davis and Collins to go.

If our esteemed Directors have any balls??? they will go tomorrow. This really is the end of the road.

I was there last night (as I have been at every home game this season-bar the Check-a-trade ones) and it was more than woeful.
    I fully understand that some of our key players were missing but still...the basics of the game went out of the window. We couldn't maintain possession, we didn't close any of their players down and by the time we got the ball in front of goal it was back in our own half within seconds.
    We had no idea how to deal with them. Hoofing the ball up field to the smallest player on the pitch (Udoh) was the only consistent thing we did. However, when he's being marked by a player that towers over him, he stood no chance. The defender won header after header.
    As good as George Cooper is at crossing the ball and running at the defence he always seems to take one touch too many and looses it. Maybe because no one was willing to find space to help him out or maybe teams close him down quicker. Usually its both.
    In front of goal we were clueless. Trying to walk it in every time (or pass it back to our defence) until Lowe came on and was trying to get the ball played wider.
    Speaking of Lowe, he really showed the rest of the team up with his passion and work rate when he came on, shouting at and encouraging his team mates. All this from a player who is still not 100% fully fit.
    We looked unmotivated last night and it showed. Davies said after the game (and I paraphrase) that maybe the younger players didn't have the same passion for the FA cup as he does. Well that's his job isn't it? Motivate the team to go out and try and win every game regardless of the competition. Instil his passion into the players. Though what passion Steve Davies has for the team and the game I've no idea. He doesn't show it from the sidelines. He just points to where a player should be standing when defending a throw or telling everyone to get back when a team breaks against us.
    We could say things can only get better, but we've been saying that for far to long now.
    Time for a change surely.

Fully agree with MiddleOfMainStand. We were shredded by Cheltenham. They wanted the win more and how it showed. Agree with comments about Lowe and I do wonder how he would be as player manager. It is hard to imagine we will perform much better at Barnet and a slide down the table is definitely under way. SD does not seem to have a clue and surely the Board will act at last.