+ Visit Scotland Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Achievements part 1

Quote Originally Posted by Taintedice View Post
    That's not true, is it. The Scottish government has had tax-raising powers since day one. But it's correct to say the North of Ireland is a complete basket-case due to the high proportion of criminals and gangsters who run the place.
    I think the tax raising powers in this day and age are a poisoned chalice. Any monies raised would not go into any infrastructure projects. It would have to be used to mitigate Tory cuts in Welfare NHS etc. That's like asking the Scottish taxpayer to pay for Tory austerity phuck that. The Scottish Gov have committed to using these powers and will keep some of the taxes raised up here with a 600M cut in the block grant. If we were allowed to vary tax bands (which we're not) could make a difference then. Seems a pointless exercise. Now if we had control of ALL our finances Revenues and expenditure it could be tailored to meet Scotlands need s much better. But I suppose that would be Independence and we're much to daft to be trusted with that.
    Last edited by stewarty27; 19-11-2016 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

That's not true, is it. The Scottish government has had tax-raising powers since day one. But it's correct to say the North of Ireland is a complete basket-case due to the high proportion of criminals and gangsters who run the place.
    Sorry, what is not true? Scottish Government has not used their power to vary tax by up to 3p since develution.

Quote Originally Posted by ed_Scottishfitba1 View Post
    Sorry I have no idea but they don't have to if they don't want to. However, as Scotland has a history of poor health duea number of factors I would be very surprised to read if the funding for NHS Scotland has not increased in real terms and percentage terms over the years. Nearly 50% (£12.9bn) of the Scottish Block funding made available for 2016-17 was allocated to NHS Scotland. Check from page 165 of the linked Expenditure plans (http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0049/00491140.pdf) which provides government spending figures from 2008-09 to 2016-17 over all the different services they oversee. Health is the number one line in the tables. I will leave it to you to find the equivalent document and tables for England and Wales. They have to publish this kind of document each year with the 2016-17 edition due out next month. I hope this is helpful.
    So you're happy that when we benefit from the RUK spending more on the NHS....that we don't reciprocate it in our NHS? Does our NHS not need it?

I see wee Willie and the Bravehearts giving this question a wiiiiide berth.
    Last edited by noahrab; 20-11-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Sorry, what is not true? Scottish Government has not used their power to vary tax by up to 3p since develution.
    So they CAN govern differently but choose to indulge in the politics of grievance?

Better not let wee Willie and the Bravehearts know that.

True ed. We’ve had the 3p variation since day 1.

Only the SNP have chosen not to use it in their 9 years in office.

Funny that, cos they stood in one of the early elections pledging a 1p rise in tax. “A penny for Scotland”

As we all know, the SNP in opposition and the one in government are two entirely different things. But they kid on they’re the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 54FairAndSquare View Post
    True ed. We’ve had the 3p variation since day 1.

Only the SNP have chosen not to use it in their 9 years in office.

Funny that, cos they stood in one of the early elections pledging a 1p rise in tax. “A penny for Scotland”

As we all know, the SNP in opposition and the one in government are two entirely different things. But they kid on they’re the same.
    I don't think anybody can say it is just one party that changes from how they operate in opposition to how they operate in government. They are all guilty of that. It is easy to criticise but hard to innovate. The reality of what a government can and cannot do only becomes apparent when a party is in government and gets to see and discuss the wide range of responsibilities they have to deal with. Issues will crop up that will impact on their well intentioned plans. Who can predict how the oil price would plummet; how the financial crisis would hit the world; how they need to find money in an emergency that has hit some country or other

Once any single party can predict the future and plan accordingly they will be in power for ever.

I don't think anybody can say it is just one party that changes from how they operate in opposition to how they operate in government. They are all guilty of that. It is easy to criticise but hard to innovate. The reality of what a government can and cannot do only becomes apparent when a party is in government and gets to see and discuss the wide range of responsibilities they have to deal with. Issues will crop up that will impact on their well intentioned plans. Who can predict how the oil price would plummet; how the financial crisis would hit the world; how they need to find money in an emergency that has hit some country or other

Once any single party can predict the future and plan accordingly they will be in power for ever.
    You miss the point thought.

Wee Willie and the Bravehearts who post shyte on here would have us believe the SNP are a different type of political party who's hands are tied by big bad wastemonster and are stopped from making a difference to the lives of those who live here.

The reality is they won't do phuck all about it but would rather bitch and Phuckin moan about it being 'someone else's fault'.

All we want is them to use the powers they have to govern and stop Phuckin angling to rerun a referendum they lost...and will lose again unless they can show the people of Scotland that they are fit to run the country.

what is not true is that the Scottish government is restricted by Barnett. It isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by stewarty27 View Post
    I think the tax raising powers in this day and age are a poisoned chalice. Any monies raised would not go into any infrastructure projects. It would have to be used to mitigate Tory cuts in Welfare NHS etc. That's like asking the Scottish taxpayer to pay for Tory austerity phuck that. The Scottish Gov have committed to using these powers and will keep some of the taxes raised up here with a 600M cut in the block grant. If we were allowed to vary tax bands (which we're not) could make a difference then. Seems a pointless exercise. Now if we had control of ALL our finances Revenues and expenditure it could be tailored to meet Scotlands need s much better. But I suppose that would be Independence and we're much to daft to be trusted with that.
    it is perhaps a poisoned chalice but no-one said government was easy. The tories are making cuts everywhere, not just in Scotland. In 1999, the SNP campaigned on a platform of a penny for Scotland, why not do the same thing now. Seems labour are going to raise more via taxation, and the £15bn deficit may be a false number but to prove iScotland can be sustainable, this has to be addressed.

what is not true is that the Scottish government is restricted by Barnett. It isn't.
    I don't think I said that and you are correct that the Scottish Government could increase revenue at their disposal if they decided to use their powers re tax raising.

BTW I have been trying to offer information on process and not linking to any specific party. The process would remain the same no mater who would be in power. Interesting discussion I have to say :-)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)