+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the end?

Is this the end?

This isn't to troll or deliberately upset anyone but is this the end of cafc? Can any satisfaction now be derived from the gradi years? I was briefly (nowhere near good enough!) in the centre of excellence at the time Woodward and Walters started in the first team. I remember the culture was brutal and uncaring (maybe all clubs were like that though) but there were always these rumours about Crewe - little did we know they were true - but the point is as Woodward and Walters highlight people at the top must have known! Much of our pride in the club is rooted in this era - can anyone stomach calling themselves a fan now?

This all happened before I was born, but let's be quite clear here - the matter went to trial at the time and anyone that is currently associated with the club was NOT part of the investigation. We don't know how much or little certain people may or may not have known about what was happening - that would be pure speculation - but what we do know is that the entire culture of football and the manner in which academies and youth football is run has changed tenfold. If new evidence comes to the front that there were more people involved, then we can look again at our stance and exactly what we feel the club could/should have done, but until that time anything else would just be conjecture. I supported the club throughout the Redruth rape allegations a couple of years ago, and can't see any reason for that to change now, at least not until we have more information.

It's like asking me if I'll still watch BBC programmes after what happened with Saville et al. Guilty by association can only go so far, people are accountable for their own actions, even in the case of heinous crimes like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeDS View Post
    This all happened before I was born, but let's be quite clear here - the matter went to trial at the time and anyone that is currently associated with the club was NOT part of the investigation. We don't know how much or little certain people may or may not have known about what was happening - that would be pure speculation - but what we do know is that the entire culture of football and the manner in which academies and youth football is run has changed tenfold. If new evidence comes to the front that there were more people involved, then we can look again at our stance and exactly what we feel the club could/should have done, but until that time anything else would just be conjecture. I supported the club throughout the Redruth rape allegations a couple of years ago, and can't see any reason for that to change now, at least not until we have more information.

It's like asking me if I'll still watch BBC programmes after what happened with Saville et al. Guilty by association can only go so far, people are accountable for their own actions, even in the case of heinous crimes like this one.
    That's a cracking post, I did wonder if last nights low crowd, I think our lowest league crowd in 20+ years, had anything to do with all the recent allegations, I hope it didn't as whatever people think it had nothing to do with those lads on the pitch or our management team and most people associated with the club. Just as some have slated the club for being slow to make a statement, I feel some people are being too quick to jump to conclusions about who did what and who knew what, this needs more time and investigation.

I still think the Club’s response has been pathetic. I thought Bowler came across as insincere – “Steve Walters I know him well “ – embarrassing. Can they not grasp the scale of this now.
    Yes I know it blindsided them, but why not at least mention the safeguards that are now in place. I really fear for the club in its current shape. Who will want to send their kids to the Academy now.

I am also getting really hacked off that there is barely a mention of Manchester City in all this. Daren't the press confront a Premier league team? He managed their junior teams for a number of years and his abuses didn't start at Crewe - 100% certainty. David White is even releasing a book about it.

Paul Stewart and Blackpool, the same. Nova, the junior club he played for along with David Bardsley, were linked to Blackpool. Maybe the link is slightly more tenuous but it certainly exists.

We can't blame the press Woodward and Walters both played for Crewe and both felt those in positions of power at Crewe knew what was going on - I trust both of them - Walters said there were loads of lads that it was happening to - how can it not have got back to those in authority?

Quote Originally Posted by ojprice View Post
    We can't blame the press Woodward and Walters both played for Crewe and both felt those in positions of power at Crewe knew what was going on - I trust both of them - Walters said there were loads of lads that it was happening to - how can it not have got back to those in authority?
    I trust them as well, but amazing as it seems and call me naive, but I seriously don't believe people in authority at the Club knew what was going on. Do you think Chris Walters would have continued as Community Officer if it was known. I played for Bennell for three years at two Clubs including the Alex and even though he was weird as **** I never for one minute suspected the depths of his depravity. I can remember my shock when it all went public in 98.

Quote Originally Posted by Roebuck View Post
    I trust them as well, but amazing as it seems and call me naive, but I seriously don't believe people in authority at the Club knew what was going on. Do you think Chris Walters would have continued as Community Officer if it was known. I played for Bennell for three years at two Clubs including the Alex and even though he was weird as **** I never for one minute suspected the depths of his depravity. I can remember my shock when it all went public in 98.
    All due respect to the late Chris but I'm talking about the people at the club who benefited from bennell's expertise I.e. The football management. So this guy was such an effective manipulator that these events remained water tight among the victims - no rumour or innuendo that would raise alarm bells was ever heard by management - Walters and Woodward don't seem to think this was the case. If people suspected this was going on and did nothing their reputations should be forever tarnished.

All due respect to the late Chris but I'm talking about the people at the club who benefited from bennell's expertise I.e. The football management. So this guy was such an effective manipulator that these events remained water tight among the victims - no rumour or innuendo that would raise alarm bells was ever heard by management - Walters and Woodward don't seem to think this was the case. If people suspected this was going on and did nothing their reputations should be forever tarnished.
    There could also be huge financial considerations re compensation payments are sought and they could force some clubs into administration, even ours, especially if it did come out that people in authority here knew about it and yet did nothing. The FA also needs to get involved now as it seems this could have been widespread in football at the time and others are coming forward now that the lid is being lifted. People will be more confident that these were not isolated cases and so who knows how many there are? Cheshire Police said today they have had six reported cases so far. I wonder how many are CAFC related?

I wonder why these kids felt they couldn't speak to their parents at the time and also when they became grown men, they still kept quiet? But that is what many kids did in all walks of life when they were abused by the Church or even by their own families. Its utterly contemptible that anyone wants to abuse children and the culprits need locking away, arguably for the rest of their life! I would also be looking at girls football too as that could be another scandal to emerge.
    Last edited by MikeSB; 23-11-2016 at 07:41 PM. Reason: update

The level of his manipulative powers were beyond belief. Don't forget these abuses had been happening for nearly 20 years without external detection, not even by parents of those involved. He had everybody in his pocket. I've even seen one of his dogs bite two different people in one day and the police who came round did nothing and backed off, through Bennell's manipulation. He manipulated parents into thinking his house was a safe haven.

I'm not trying to defend the Club here by the way and indeed if there was any knowledge or suspicion of this depravity then it's horrific and I am pretty appalled at how they still appear to have their heads in the sand.

It's all very sad. I remember the Bennell stuff coming out in the 90's and the dispatches documentary. I was quite young so I can't recall the response from the club at the time of Bennell going to jail. The way the club have reacted to the players going public recently has been awful. The club just doesn't seem to have the ablity to respond to any situation correctly. No matter how severe it is.

I can't get to the conclusion that the people at the top of the club must have known what was happening. The basis around that talk at the moment is just insinuation.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast