+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Will Hughes rejects new contract!

Will Hughes rejects new contract!

Will Hughes has rejected a new contract at Derby. I'm a little miffed about that!

Very simple. If he does not want to be here, get rid in January! He should not hold the club to ransom (not saying he is) but if he has been offered a decent improved contract he either accepts it, or he should sod off. He is a good player, but he is not irreplaceable.

We do not want players that do not want to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimeram View Post
    Very simple. If he does not want to be here, get rid in January! He should not hold the club to ransom (not saying he is) but if he has been offered a decent improved contract he either accepts it, or he should sod off. He is a good player, but he is not irreplaceable.

We do not want players that do not want to be here.
    A little harsh there!

If you read the article ,he's not been offered as much as the top earners at Derby

The club may come back with an improved offer,so lets wait and see .

he's wanting to be in the Premier but sadly at Derby its not possible ,hopefully we will keep this run going and who knows
    Hughes has been excellent for Derby both on the pitch and off due to his now current value, so to say sod off is pretty low!

I like the lad and he has been a good servant to date. Too blonde but the poor lad canot help that

All I am saying is, if he is going to be unhappy with the terms offered, he will not be a happy bunny and it may well start to reflect in his performances. If that is the case, it would be best for all if he goes.

I am not sure offering him more than the reputed salary of Johnson would be good for the club or the other players at the club either, as it may only cause further bitterness and unrest within the squad.

If true, we should never have offered Johnson the terms he is allegedly receiving. There lies the root of the problem.

Nothing unusual in a player turning down the first offer happens all the time would be surprised if a compromise doesn't happen But has been stated we've won games without him and could do again

I would say this is the start of the "Hendrick Effect" - they came into the first team squad at about the same time, had played together (subject to respective injuries) for about 4 years, and then Will has seen Jeff sold for £10m+ into the Premier League, no doubt on an much enhanced salary deal. Who can blame him for wanting something similar as he was always, rightly or wrongly, seen as the better prospect of the two.

His career has probably not progressed as well as most (except ratty) would have expected but I'm sure he wants what he has seen others get: an exit upwards and loadsa money. Jeff might be back in the Championship again next year (but there seem a few too many bad teams in the top flight to make that a certainty) but he has staked his claim. will should rightly expect the same, and if he is not assured of premier football via promotion he would rightly either want out or a bigger financial incentive to stay and try to achieve it with us.

Can anyone post a link to the article?

Think there may be some mischief afoot here. Tonight's DT describes negotiations as 'very positive'. Let's not start being too critical of a young player who is, potentially at least, our biggest asset.

Nobody really believes Will has turned down a new contract do they. In reality it goes something like this:-
    Agent - Will I haven't made much out of you for some time now. I think it's about time to negotiate a new contract.
    Will - OK Slug see what you can do.
    Agent - They've offered a new contract but I've told them you don't want it. Thought it would be a good idea to let the press know too.
    Will - OK. Lovely Rolla you've got there. Nice suite and gold watch you've got too.
    Agent - Don't worry lad I'll soon screw this lot or some other mug club and you'll be getting nearly as much as me lol.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)