+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atmopshere at games

Ignore this miserable bunch. Completed. Useful bit of Forest bashing too

Quite right Andy, I completed it too. Sort of information that might prove useful to Forest and their stadium plans. Little more dispiriting than a half empty/full - depending on your mood - stadium, so they really shouldn't be raising their expectation to a capacity of more than 25,000, maybe less.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Quite right Andy, I completed it too. Sort of information that might prove useful to Forest and their stadium plans. Little more dispiriting than a half empty/full - depending on your mood - stadium, so they really shouldn't be raising their expectation to a capacity of more than 25,000, maybe less.
    I understand Forest have advanced plans for a new stadium and having seen the success of Pride Park, which was an 80% scale version of Middlesborough's Riverside, they've opted for the '80% scale model' approach too, and have purchased the plans for the Pirelli Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Tell me please, what possible value to anyone could such research report be? This seems like yet another example of the way we are overeducating people for the sake of it at secong rate colleges of further education.
    I dont agree Roger. As we have discussed before people are told the football in this country is the greatest, the grounds are the best and the fans and atmosphere are second to none. When you travel and sample football in other parts of the world for yourself especially you realize its all a crock of ****. We have no atmosphere really anymore. There's nothing being the tribal aspect except street trouble and bs bravado and out stadiums lack character and feel.

The 'masses' don't realize this and believe the PR spun to them constantly ..... maybe people should be educated to open thier eyes and have a look outside the bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattea View Post
    I dont agree Roger. As we have discussed before people are told the football in this country is the greatest, the grounds are the best and the fans and atmosphere are second to none. When you travel and sample football in other parts of the world for yourself especially you realize its all a crock of ****. We have no atmosphere really anymore. There's nothing being the tribal aspect except street trouble and bs bravado and out stadiums lack character and feel.

The 'masses' don't realize this and believe the PR spun to them constantly ..... maybe people should be educated to open thier eyes and have a look outside the bubble.
    I tend to agree, but I don't think it's a football issue. When you see scenes from around the world whether good or bad, the people show their emotion far more than us 'reserved' British. Take political rallies for instance, the Europeans and the Americans and others seem to be over the top or are we too calm?

It's not all about crowd size, banners and fireworks though is it? I bow to Rat's greater knowledge of foreign football but surely some of the things that go on in South America and Turkey you'd get a lifetime ban for here. The best atmosphere I've ever known at Pride Park was against Middlesbrough (or was it Sunderland?) when Wanchope was harshly sent off. Suddenly the players were sparked into a greater show of commitment and the crowd responded in a way all too untypical at Derby and that for me is the key. I've been in much smaller Third Division and Rugby League crowds but when the crowd sense that level of real commitment from players and especially when the game can go either way, then the atmosphere can often become 'electric'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattea View Post

I agree with all of that Ratman, but you cannot create genuine atmosphere when there isn't the passion in the crowd. A survey of what makes for good atmosphere frankly isnt going to scratch the surface. the passion that creates atmosphere has to come from the heart, not the design of the bogs at the away end (although that may reduce some of the less appealing aspects of atmosphere).

As was said above, we are not a passionate nation in the way Mediterranean and South American crowds are. Our idea of becoming passionate tends to be shown in abuse of the opposition. not so much support of our teams. It also has historically shown itself more via hooliganism - its no coincidence that the most atmospheric games I have been to in this country were in the 70s and 80s when violence was more commonplace and "atmosphere" spilled into the streets. This behaviour was universally reviled and as it was eradicated, so the tension passion and atmosphere in and out of the grounds abated - maybe the baby was thrown out with the bathwater?

Our passions tend to show themselves in violence - we are quite good at wars and invented football hooliganism, the Mediterranean / South American passions seem to be rooted in love: for your team, your woman etc. See the culture via the medium of dance - the Tango, the Rumba, Sambaa contrast to the formalities of good old English Foxtrot or Military Twostep.

or maybe I am just a boring out of touch ******* and there is real passion there that Ive not noticed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)