+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of the union

Quote Originally Posted by Getintaethem View Post
    It is worthy because the rest of the UK would most likely take Ireland back into the Union. It illustrates that the rest of the UK would also take back Scotland. It is not so hard to understand.

So basically exactly the same as we have now except that the lib dems and labour could merge. I do not understand why independence would make the lib dems and labour merge any more than out with independence. Incidentally, they call themselves Scottish Labour, Scottish Lib Dems and Scottish Conservatives now.

One reason is because they believe that Scotland is stronger as part of the United Kingdom. i.e. perhaps they have principles that they will stick with. Running a deficit of £14bn per year would be suicide for an independent Scotland. We would need to put up taxes, reduce services and/or borrow more. £14bn is so far outside anything that the EU would allow from a borrowing perspective, therefore we would need to put up taxes and reduce services - unless there is some magic wand. £14bn represents over £5K for every worker in Scotland. It does not take a genius to work out that this would be a disaster for any SNP Government and popularity for independence will fall dramatically post independence. The price of oil is unlikely to recover for several years. If oil prices rise, it gives a green light to the US shale production and oil prices will fall again.

There are a lot of political soundbites but no real details around why a hard Brexit will be such a disaster economically.
    I do not understand economically what the issue is post hard Brexit (there may be political/social reasons for not wanting to leave). Even with using WTO trade rules (rules set up to promote trade) tariffs would be set at around 3%. Normal exchange rate fluctuations are far more than 3% per year and we do not notice any major disruptions in trade and WTO rules are used by China and the US to export into the EU. In fact, our trade outside the EU using WTO rules has been going up - not down.

To put this into perspective, the UK exports around £225bn into the EU. 3% of that is around £7bn. Therefore, the UK Government could just recompense every company that exports to the EU the 3% tariff, if it so wished, from the amount the UK now pays into the EU as our membership fee - or as the UK could also set tariffs on imports - from this money. However, what is far more likely, if it came down to it, is the UK would just say that they will use WTO rules for trade with EU countries and set tariffs to zero and will only add tariffs if the EU adds tariffs on our goods and services.

Top marks for pedancy! I simply don't have the time to take on a keyboard warrior. However, I would have thought you would have gauged from my posts I am no supporter of the SNP.

I appreciate the economic argument for Independence has weaknesses and is being weakened even more. However, like some other posters have alluded to my decision was also based on becoming more and more disillusioned with the politics of the right taking over mainly in England and deciding like a lot of others that this is not how I wish my own country to be governed. And before you come back with polls have shown that Scotland is no further left wing than England. I am aware of that data. We have however elected a Scottish government who in the main are attempting to pursue a centre left policy and have a fairer view on society which I feel more accurately represents the Scottish psyche, indeed soul. I personally am prepared to become a bit poorer if that means a fairer redistribution of wealth and money spent where it is required.

Quote Originally Posted by kigoretrout View Post
    I personally am prepared to become a bit poorer if that means a fairer redistribution of wealth and money spent where it is required.
    Good for you. The SNP have not raised taxation though. Why, cos they know that it would be political suicide if they raised taxation for the majority in Scotland.

The debt of £15bn per year represents £5,600 per year for every worker. Not many people could afford to take that sort of a hit or even half of that sort of hit in their pay packets. That is us standing still... before your "bit poorer" redistribution of wealth.

Nic will officially seek approval for a second referendum next week, with vote being held sometime between Autumn 2018 and Spring 2019...oh the joys of more tension and arguing to come !!

Quote Originally Posted by Stupie82 View Post
    Nic will officially seek approval for a second referendum next week, with vote being held sometime between Autumn 2018 and Spring 2019...oh the joys of more tension and arguing to come !!
    Can I start the ball rolling?

Voting 'No' means you side with Huns. You have the same hopes, dreams and aspirations as Huns & would be as well just supporting the dead club like you support a dead Union.

Discuss

If we had been independent at the time then Rangers wouldn't have been allowed back into the league. The British establishment only likes one club.

Mrs Krankie is going to lose again. Then we will never have to see her ugly mug on TV again and she can go away and finally finish her *** change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Mrs Krankie is going to lose again. Then we will never have to see her ugly mug on TV again and she can go away and finally finish her *** change.
    Fiver says she's still in the job when the queen croaks it

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Fiver says she's still in the job when the queen croaks it
    What's that got to do with the referendum? The queen could snuff it tomorrow or live another 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    What's that got to do with the referendum? The queen could snuff it tomorrow or live another 10 years.
    It just seemed to be a suitable measure of time, when gambling with someone siding with Huns

Yassss the Krankie chat. Hun patter.

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast