+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Gary Rowett

When you think about it Nigels management skills are more like Peter Taylor's than his Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by DCFCArmy View Post
    We could do worse than offering him a player recruiting role at the club, if mac stays of course.

Clough might have been a bit negative but with his talent of building squads (and you can't deny his success in that department, its mainly his side that Sheff United are now pushing for autos with, not to mention the team he built here in 2014 and the one he's now got at Burton), And mac who is the better coach it could be a great pairing.

With Clough we wont have to put up with dross like Butterfield, Johnson and bloody NICK BLACKMAN FFS
    Ummm... Connor Sammon? He was alright at finding average players on a budget, but don't give the guy money!

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    Ummm... Connor Sammon? He was alright at finding average players on a budget, but don't give the guy money!
    Sammon became a irish international,under Clough in a good,squad,When Derby did not have many international players.
    And was in the playoff final squad,He was a useful addition to Cloughs team .and a alternative to Martin,Remember we could not afford the wages at that time for players like Bent .What a silly statement,The most he spent on one player 1,3 million,
    And achieved--1 playoff final squad. a 12th--10th in the championship--1 F-A -cup-semi final--1 league cup semi final--1 playoff semi final.--1 automatic promotion,from div 1--And will bring his 500-000 pound squad,to Pride Park to compete against our present 41 million pound stars,we also have a big budget wage bill,
    So i say give him money he could be a threat to some big clubs,Oh and at the time of his appointment,Derby and Sheff Utd were in meltdown, With signings the backroom staff and Simon deserve some credit

Trevor we'll just have to agree to disagree. So far history is on our side and I suspect it always will be, but you and Rattea will never change your tune!

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1946 View Post
    Sammon became a irish international,under Clough in a good,squad,When Derby did not have many international players.
    And was in the playoff final squad,He was a useful addition to Cloughs team .and a alternative to Martin,Remember we could not afford the wages at that time for players like Bent .What a silly statement,The most he spent on one player 1,3 million,
    And achieved--1 playoff final squad. a 12th--10th in the championship--1 F-A -cup-semi final--1 league cup semi final--1 playoff semi final.--1 automatic promotion,from div 1--And will bring his 500-000 pound squad,to Pride Park to compete against our present 41 million pound stars,we also have a big budget wage bill,
    So i say give him money he could be a threat to some big clubs,Oh and at the time of his appointment,Derby and Sheff Utd were in meltdown, With signings the backroom staff and Simon deserve some credit
    I refer you back to my credit to Phil Brown, who worked under far more difficult circumstances - would you give him the same hero's welcome too?

Quote Originally Posted by DCFCArmy View Post
    He did ok for us under massive financial constraints. And he essentially built the team that should have gone up in 2014, he just didn't have the man management skills, he needed a decent coach on board. We could do worse than offering him a player recruiting role at the club, if mac stays of course.

Clough might have been a bit negative but with his talent of building squads (and you can't deny his success in that department, its mainly his side that Sheff United are now pushing for autos with, not to mention the team he built here in 2014 and the one he's now got at Burton), And mac who is the better coach it could be a great pairing.

With Clough we wont have to put up with dross like Butterfield, Johnson and bloody NICK BLACKMAN FFS
    The Clough days were hardly 'dross free'. He did bring us the dubious delights of Conor Doyle, Chris Maguire, Lee Croft, Nathan Tyson, David Martin, Connor Sammon and Chris Porter. He has also recently expressed regret at ever leaving Burton for Derby, so maybe not too much of a welcome.

[QUOTE=ramAnag;38441898]The Clough days were hardly 'dross free'. He did bring us the dubious delights of Conor Doyle, Chris Maguire, Lee Croft, Nathan Tyson, David Martin, Connor Sammon and Chris Porter. He has also recently expressed regret at ever leaving Burton for Derby, so maybe not too much of a welcome.[/QUO
    Pplayer on much bigger salarysMaguire--Tyson==Croft---porter went on to have good careers in lower divisions but did a job here at a difficult time and replaced players on much bigger salary's,Sammon of course was a big money buy1 million. But went on to become a international player under Clough

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    The Clough days were hardly 'dross free'. He did bring us the dubious delights of Conor Doyle, Chris Maguire, Lee Croft, Nathan Tyson, David Martin, Connor Sammon and Chris Porter. He has also recently expressed regret at ever leaving Burton for Derby, so maybe not too much of a welcome.
    They were signed on the cheap, with cheap wages into the bargain ffs.

Lee Croft?? try a 3m pound Nick Blackman on more wages... David Martin?? try a 6m pound Bradley Johnson on 4x more wages.. Chris Porter?? try a 8m pound Matej Vydra on 5x more wages.. Connor Sammon?? try a 3m pound Jason Shackell more wages..

Face it.. we were run far better under Clough, we have some dross but he was working on a budget 20x less than what we are now.. and those players mentioned actually did their job of keeping us mid table (which was their objective), whereas this current lot are supposed to be pushing for autos,,, yet can't even make the playoffs ffs. FAIL!!

No one, least of all me, is disputing that Clough did a decent job of stabilising Derby. That though is not the point. The football was dull, and the ambition totally limited. There was no expectation, he's not good at man management and to suggest, as you did, that we were dross free under Clough is complete nonsense as the examples I've provided prove.

Neither am I disputing that we have wasted money recently. We've had a much bigger budget since Mel took over and too many expensive signings haven't come off. Under Clough the budget was much smaller and tbf, he (or his brother) identified some good signings, but surely wasting £1.5m (Sammon and Maguire) out of a hypothetical £6m budget is much the same as wasting £10m (Vydra and Blackman) out of a £40m budget.
    At the end of the day, would you want Clough back at Derby? I certainly wouldn't and I doubt many Sheffield Utd fans would have him back there either.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 21-02-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    No one, least of all me, is disputing that Clough did a decent job of stabilising Derby. That though is not the point. The football was dull, and the ambition totally limited. There was no expectation, he's not good at man management and to suggest, as you did, that we were dross free under Clough is complete nonsense as the examples I've provided prove.

Neither am I disputing that we have wasted money recently. We've had a much bigger budget since Mel took over and too many expensive signings haven't come off. Under Clough the budget was much smaller and tbf, he (or his brother) identified some good signings, but surely wasting £1.5m (Sammon and Maguire) out of a hypothetical £6m budget is much the same as wasting £10m (Vydra and Blackman) out of a £40m budget.
    At the end of the day, would you want Clough back at Derby? I certainly wouldn't and I doubt many Sheffield Utd fans would have him back there either.
    Nail on the head.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)