+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Next season

Next season

It's rapidly becoming obvious that all we have to look forward to now is next season.
    How can a team go from being almost unbeatable to pathetic in a month.
    The Pearson fiasco set the trend for the season and a few injuries didn't help.
    Will Thorne be fit for next season and will Martin return. Those two could be significant and almost like two new signings
    but, to my mind, we need to offload several of the squad..Vydra, Weimann,,Russell,Johnson, Baird, Olson,Shackell,Bent etc and look for a leader like Dave McKay . Not sure who though.
    Also when you look at the pattern of results you would find it difficult to say that McClaren is the right manager to take the club forward.
    Next season more and more championship clubs will have financial clout so it will be increasingly difficult to get out so the next few weeks/months are going to be critical.
    One thing that could change my thinking would be to win the next 12 games..........unlikely to happen so as I said ....let's plan for next season.

I think you're right. Shame, because 2 weeks ago we were looking at the playoffs and FA cup.

And that last statement shows how hysterical the reaction is to last night and other recent games.

Quote Originally Posted by sixtiesram View Post
    And that last statement shows how hysterical the reaction is to last night and other recent games.
    So how do you explain the sudden (annual) capitulation?

Quote Originally Posted by KingCharlieGeorge View Post
    So how do you explain the sudden (annual) capitulation?
    I am pals with an accountant at a Championship club just below us. He says that they apparently recognise the fact that if they (and therefore us, we have the same sort of set up) don't get in the premier league soon, even for a season, they could be excluded from a group of maybe 30 clubs for whom the riches of premiership membership and/or repeated parachute payments makes them all-powerful, to the exclusion of all others who can never again bridge that gap. Depressing stuff

Depressing yet entirely realistic I fear. Money has ruled the premiership for years and now its beginning to rule the championship via the trickle down impact of parachutes. Freakish scenarios like Leicester aside (and they have quickly returned to their natural position) the premiership will fall to one of 6 teams for the next decade and soon enough the promoted trio from the championship will be essentially from those relegated in the previous year or two.

The creation of a European superleague, perhaps stripping those 6 top teams away and taking much of the money with it would restore some equilibrium. Lets hope it happens sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by roger_ramjet; 23-02-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Next season will be like this season and the seasons before it, one starts with hope and then grim reality sets in.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)