+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Guthrie and Garratt

Guthrie and Garratt

Are they still refusing to sign a new contract? I only ask because Garratt seems to be a bit more erratic this year (at the Stevenage game he was static when he should have been coming out to collect long balls from the opposition). He is still producing the saves tho' so I'm not dissing him. Guthrie also seems to be the fall guy when it comes to going to a back four or needing a left-back. This despite the fact that, until recently, he was our best centre half.
    I'm just wondering if the former is unsettled/unfocussed and the latter is being punished for not signing. (although Guthrie did look 'out of it' for their 2nd goal)

The manager has said for a couple of weeks now that Guthrie is carrying a knock and the club are 'managing' it, hence the substitution against Wycombe. I assumed that he was brought off on Saturday to introduce more pace into the side for the second half, which Zooms (and Kiwomya) certainly did. I would rather see Guthrie at CH, but the manager clearly reckons he is a better defender than Bakayogo (hard to argue with that opinion) and we are better defensively with Nugent rather than Zooms (easier to argue with!).

I also think Garratt has looked less than safe all season (maybe even better recently); however, I share your concern that 2 of our more consistent players may leave in the summer, one of them for no fee.

It's time for Garratt to get some rest, IMO. He's looked shaky and like a player that's been seriously knocked back by conceding record amounts of goals over the last two/three seasons.