+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stroke of genius.....?

Stroke of genius.....?

Ok so now the dust has settled on last nights sacking I've had a little time to sit back and think about it....

Was it the right time to sack? Yes of course it was.... totally blown any chance of making play offs now.

Should we have given Steve till end of the season? No not if the plan was to replace.

Should we appoint someone now or wait? Replace now in my mind, give someone 9-10 games to assess the team and see what's needed in closed season. Get rid of dead wood and line up closed season signings!

Is Rowett the right choice? At this stage in Derby County's time yes I believe he is..... been a manager in the Championship, he's been successful both at Burton and Birmingham and he knows players in this league, Div 1 and clearly aware of Premiership players!

If it is him let's get behind him and all offer our support! COYR

Quote Originally Posted by Rich2462 View Post
    Ok so now the dust has settled on last nights sacking I've had a little time to sit back and think about it....

Was it the right time to sack? Yes of course it was.... totally blown any chance of making play offs now.

Should we have given Steve till end of the season? No not if the plan was to replace.

Should we appoint someone now or wait? Replace now in my mind, give someone 9-10 games to assess the team and see what's needed in closed season. Get rid of dead wood and line up closed season signings!

Is Rowett the right choice? At this stage in Derby County's time yes I believe he is..... been a manager in the Championship, he's been successful both at Burton and Birmingham and he knows players in this league, Div 1 and clearly aware of Premiership players!

Like!

The dust has not settled just yet! There is a long way to go, to get that all of our chests.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich2462 View Post

As much as I don't rate McClaren I think its far from a stroke of genius.

When he was brought back to the club the main thing was not to get relegated it was that bad. Play offs were always an outside chance and from starting from five steps behind was always a big ask. So a year and a half contract would suggest that if not promoted first out it had to happen next season which was more realistic.

So to only got five months and now relegation is not on the cards it seems potty that this should happen. To me it shows no plan and knee jerk reactions. Confirmed by the number of managers in such a short period.

The next question is if this is such a good move and after such unstable times would Rowett be the right person hes not really achieved anything but some good results, and dull football mainly, on a budget. So is this where we are going again on a shoe string. Or is there a proven manager who's delivered at this level and higher a number of times that would possibly make it a stroke of genius.

All in all ... what a bloody mess!!!!

Maybe Rich, the decision must be based on him not trusting Mac with funds in the summer - otherwise why not let Mac have a go at rebuilding for next season? If we don't appoint someone now, then we can write next season off too.

I'm not convinced by any of it, and find Mel's offer of support to the new manager a bit shallow.

It is like groundhog day been their and done it .6 managers in two years,and some still think employing another one is the answer.
    The problem lies at the top level of the club,Mr Ming and Bungling Mel.
    That is a meteoric problem,that fans are incapable of a solution,So we discuss players and managers,and tactics,
    Steve McClaren was a bold move,and i applauded the,bravery of the owner,5 months down the road ,my club is yet again a joke.
    Being run by clowns, Good job Forest are game for a laugh,their choice Warburton,read his c-v,top club managed Brentford.
    in the Championship,Started in management in 2014, good talker though

.....unlike Rowett whose CV must be very similar - top club manages Birmingham City and probably been in management for about as long (or short). At least Warburton has some experience with the politics of a bigger club in Rangers - albeit not in the top division. Its one thing going for a "young and upcoming manager (allegedly)" such as Rowett but will he be able to sort the **** out that he walks into? Im not convinced.

Derby County always copying Forest.

We build a statue of Cloughy, you get a statue of Cloughy,

Forest fans invest in banners of our club's legends - your club buys you flags

We play that god awful Chelsea dagger - you now play Chelsea dagger

We get a mental owner who can't run a football club - you get a mental owner who can't run a football club.

3 Major key factors for Rowett to consider: 1) Can he handle a big budget club? 2) Can he handle the pressure unlike previous managers before him? and finally 3) Has to impress Mel from the Get-Go?

Quote Originally Posted by Rattea View Post
    As much as I don't rate McClaren I think its far from a stroke of genius.

When he was brought back to the club the main thing was not to get relegated it was that bad. Play offs were always an outside chance and from starting from five steps behind was always a big ask. So a year and a half contract would suggest that if not promoted first out it had to happen next season which was more realistic.

So to only got five months and now relegation is not on the cards it seems potty that this should happen. To me it shows no plan and knee jerk reactions. Confirmed by the number of managers in such a short period.

The next question is if this is such a good move and after such unstable times would Rowett be the right person hes not really achieved anything but some good results, and dull football mainly, on a budget. So is this where we are going again on a shoe string. Or is there a proven manager who's delivered at this level and higher a number of times that would possibly make it a stroke of genius.

All in all ... what a bloody mess!!!!
    Can't really disagree with this, as for the successor, not convinced that Rowett is ideal, we seem to be going down the "has links with the club" road again, but I guess he has more league management experience than Clough had and the "experts" seem to rate him, though maybe thats a reason to steer clear?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)