+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mel Morris

To be fair to Baird, he's stepped in and provided solid cover at both right and centre back. He's a useful steady Eddie covering these positions, and there aren't many players happy to be signed up for such a job. I'd keep him for this reason.

Weimann is something I was thinking about recently, he's certainly an option for Rowett to consider. But, I don't think he's good enough, and can see him dropping another league to find his level.

Quote Originally Posted by Rams4Justice View Post
    Wisdom had everything to be a potential natural leader and was strong in the air and was a shame we couldn't manage to keep hold of him, due to us unable to achieve promotion in the play-off final. But that was the price we had to pay for not crossing over the line.
    Since when have we exploited the loan market like we did when

Ibe
    Wisdom
    Bamford
    Lingaard
    Thorne
    Ince

came in
    I'm surprised that McClaren didn't go this route in January , Oh hang on De Sart oh dear
    and he should of Loaned Nugent not bought him or not bothered

Until we start too out many of the list I made earlier, make shrewd loanee's and only buy higher quality in fewer numbers .We won't get anywhere .hope Rowett is that strong man, because that willy nilly buying that Clement or Clement's men did is pure madness

Our scouting for top quality players, has significantly dropped since those loan signings under the first season under Steve and we drastically need to improve in that area, under Rowett going forward. It also depends on who is available at the current time and also depends on what you can afford that suits your current play-style.

Quote Originally Posted by Rams4Justice View Post
    Our scouting for top quality players, has significantly dropped since those loan signings under the first season under Steve and we drastically need to improve in that area, under Rowett going forward. It also depends on who is available at the current time and also depends on what you can afford that suits your current play-style.
    True , but no way should we sign anyone for the sake of signing someone ,like what appears we have been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post
    True , but no way should we sign anyone for the sake of signing someone ,like what appears we have been doing.
    No doubt about that.....

If you want to have a look at the signings made by Paul clement when at Derby
    They all seem negative under acheivers,maybe the core of the problem stems from then, because since then we,ve gone from that fast flowing attacking football, to this sideways boring stuff we have today

Weimann - Never cut it hussle bustle, no skill
    Pearce- slow, steady but boring, no pace
    Carson - ok I suppose, but lacks quickness in thought
    Shackell - slow boring ,no pace one footed
    Baird - slow boring - no pace, finished at this level
    Johnson - slows our play no skill or quickness of thought
    Butterfield - really slows our play ,negative player
    Camara - weak, no end product , not going to be a regular ever
    Blackman - enough said conference player
    Olsen - can't defend ,over rated weak player

Have i missed any ,
    I think that is a pretty good summation Eddy. the only thing I would say is that the negative crabbing was there before Clement arrived, disguised by being likened to tikki takka in McClaren's earlier incarnation. The patient sideways structure which sometimes worked - but most often did not (as a pressing midfield tended to nullify it) - predated Clement but he expanded on / perfected it by utilising essentially negative non creatives. Clement was initially successful but boring as hell - it was like watching us under Clough N all over again, or Billy Davies' "1-0 to the Derby" squad.

Strange thing is that Johnson and Butterfield were, before they came to us, regarded as creative and free scoring midfield players at Norwich/Leeds and Huddersfield. Now they seem incapable of a forward pass or creating anything. They come to us and change almost overnight - perhaps to fit into Clement's system - but seem to have retained that new style under subsequent managers.

It has been suggested that this is because our defence is slow and ponderous and so their first thoughts are towards lying deep and providing cover even when in possession, and this may well be true. More so in the absence of George Thorne whose absence has been a massive factor in our lack of success IMO. Strange how one player with not that many appearances has become central to our success.

Rowett's biggest job, before even reconsidering squad membership, has to be to rid us of the negativity that besets our gameplan in the next 10 games. We have nothing to lose if we go down 4-3 when going for the win at 3-1 down. Change that mindset (somehow) and some of these negative players might regain their positivity - they were decent championship players before catching "Derbyitis".

Also we need to make sure we don't get quality loan players in, with a bring back clause to a parent club like Liverpool did with us for Ibe, during a crucial part of our promotion season campaign that proved costly indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    I think that is a pretty good summation Eddy. the only thing I would say is that the negative crabbing was there before Clement arrived, disguised by being likened to tikki takka in McClaren's earlier incarnation. The patient sideways structure which sometimes worked - but most often did not (as a pressing midfield tended to nullify it) - predated Clement but he expanded on / perfected it by utilising essentially negative non creatives. Clement was initially successful but boring as hell - it was like watching us under Clough N all over again, or Billy Davies' "1-0 to the Derby" squad.

Strange thing is that Johnson and Butterfield were, before they came to us, regarded as creative and free scoring midfield players at Norwich/Leeds and Huddersfield. Now they seem incapable of a forward pass or creating anything. They come to us and change almost overnight - perhaps to fit into Clement's system - but seem to have retained that new style under subsequent managers.

It has been suggested that this is because our defence is slow and ponderous and so their first thoughts are towards lying deep and providing cover even when in possession, and this may well be true. More so in the absence of George Thorne whose absence has been a massive factor in our lack of success IMO. Strange how one player with not that many appearances has become central to our success.

Rowett's biggest job, before even reconsidering squad membership, has to be to rid us of the negativity that besets our gameplan in the next 10 games. We have nothing to lose if we go down 4-3 when going for the win at 3-1 down. Change that mindset (somehow) and some of these negative players might regain their positivity - they were decent championship players before catching "Derbyitis".
    So , in summary our problem may lie with the back four. I believe strongly that if we continue to defend deep we have to play Three at the back with five across the middle ,until we get some more pace at the back

The usual drivel play we see at Pride Park: Lob the ball up field and hope to god, it finds someone up front and has a shot on target. Pass back and forth to the GK and let the opposition push forwards and close you in, your own half. Too much space in midfield allows opposition to squeeze through and cause us major problems. Midfield is the weakest area for example: I see De Sart, Butterfield and Johnson just run about 2 yards and stop instead of running into open space, their reactions to open play is poor and needs improving to their game.

So , in summary our problem may lie with the back four. I believe strongly that if we continue to defend deep we have to play Three at the back with five across the middle ,until we get some more pace at the back
    I would agree with that.

The third centre back in effect would balance the lack of GT and provides the cover that we have struggled to get from the various players we have tried in the GT slot. If we had the full squad available then Forsyth could fulfill the 3rd at the back role as he has a bit more pace: but there is no point playing another slow player like Shackell in there as the defence as a whole would still have to play too deep and just get in each others way. We need a quick "libero" type player to allow our CB's to sit higher up the field.

Then the creatives in midfield can pull the strings closer to the point of attack and, with two wing backs in the 5 in the middle we can get width for Vydra/Ince or whoever the two attacking players are

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)