+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Thread: Ot- May calls for election in June.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post

The idea of the Scotch having a crucial say in UK and English politics is appalling.

How do we make society fairer: I dont know but it also doesn't concern me much as I am a strong believer in rugged individualism.

Most of all I would like to see some sort of individualtate funding bond
    Some interesting stuff there RJ

Calling the Scotch 'Scotch' is a great way of getting blood boiling and fists flying, I'm sitting ten feet away from one person who would at the very least demand a call to arms of her kinfolk and force my wider family to watch Braveheart and Rob Roy ad nauseum by way of punishment, if she even SAW that word written down. Agree with your sentiment though.

Liking 'Rugged Individualism', I intend to be pushing that one on facebook later

A state funding bond sound a lot like 'crowd funding' govt projects, I would be delighted not to contribute to HS2 but would happily dob in for consultants to have a crack at improving the patient flow NHS A&E

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Some interesting stuff there RJ

Calling the Scotch 'Scotch' is a great way of getting blood boiling and fists flying, I'm sitting ten feet away from one person who would at the very least demand a call to arms of her kinfolk and force my wider family to watch Braveheart and Rob Roy ad nauseum by way of punishment, if she even SAW that word written down. Agree with your sentiment though.

Liking 'Rugged Individualism', I intend to be pushing that one on facebook later

A state funding bond sound a lot like 'crowd funding' govt projects, I would be delighted not to contribute to HS2 but would happily dob in for consultants to have a crack at improving the patient flow NHS A&E
    I think referring to RR as RJ, even without the 4, is probably even more insulting than referring to the Scots as the 'Scotch' but this 'crowd funding' bond selling for various govt. projects is interesting. Would it spell the end of Trident, HS2 and...perhaps Media Studies and give us better roads, more comfortable (slower) trains, an NHS that is the envy of the world again and properly funded schools. If so...count me in. Might also serve the dual function of being properly democratic and ridding us of the need for MP's.

By the way...in a coffee shop in Pennsylvania today...after picking up on the English accent...I was asked by a total stranger what I thought of Brexit. I did tell her...without swearing...and she replied knowingly that she completely agreed. Noble bunch these Americans.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 06-06-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Let's see how Nuneaton goes and possibly Basildon and Thurock as results are declared.
    If the Tories hold both it's probably curtains.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    With Corbyn's spending promises he will either need to lose face and drop the plansvor borrow intensely if Labour win. To expect to raise the kind of money via tax that he wants to spend in a fragile economy with the uncertainty of brexit is a pipedream. Businesses already skittish with the prospect of Brexit will not stick around when faced by big tax hikes as well.

Hikes in corporation tax will not be effective as economic activity will fall and ultimately the biggest burden of this will be felt by the man in the street. Corbyn will have no alternative but to borrow - some will say to invest in the future, others will say to prop up his political credibility. Either way, national borrowing which has been by and large held in check over the last 5 years will have to rise. We are already massively in debt as a country - albeit a lot of it to our own people - more of which could stress our sovereign debt rating, and the cost of borrowing: add this to the fact that interest rates are rising. Form your own conclusion.

No one person can bankrupt a country, but it is more likely to happen on a Corbyn watch with some of his spending plans.
    Despite the evidence that debt and borrowing has risen more historically under Tory governments?

Interest rates may rise, currently they are not!

Borrowing under Labours manifesto is for investment in infrastructure which is a wise move, the forecast on what tax may or may not be collected is purely hypothetical, no doubt Labours fully costed plans will not be fully realisable but then the Tory's uncosted plans are much more vague and do not offer sensible solutions to what is required.

The inherent dislike of tax is understandable, but as one who pays a fair whack, in fact more in NI and tax than the average wage in this country, I can vouch that there are many people who recognise that for all of us to enjoy a society that enables us to live freely, we all have to pay for it, and that includes the famed private sector who rely upon the services and infrastructure paid by taxes in order to operate.

The economic armageddon you describe Rog is no more likely to happen under Corbyn than May, the inequality and favouring of the few fortunate people will continue under the Tory's, always has always will.

I think I had better patent state / crowd funding as an idea before everyone jumps on it!

Interesting to see where the UKIP votes will go.

Not wishing her ill...but Abbott's 'indefinite withdrawal' on 'health grounds' can only strengthen Labour's chances can't it? The prospect of her as Home Secretary certainly didn't fill me with confidence. Don't know much about her replacement but she'll have to be bad to be worse than Amber Rudd.

Ministers come Ministers go. Ms Rudd can and should be replaced. Honestly though I wished then that Ms Leadsom would have won the leadership.

I think the country needs a breath of fresh air politically. Leadsom should be given a prominent ministry.

I think the arguments about policies must now translate into seats held or to be won.

Lewes is another of those seats to determine if the Lib Dems can improve. If the Tories hold it then it might another indication of Ms May will get her working majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Ministers come Ministers go. Ms Rudd can and should be replaced. Honestly though I wished then that Ms Leadsom would have won the leadership.

I think the country needs a breath of fresh air politically. Leadsom should be given a prominent ministry.
    Can't really see how having an inexperienced politician who has worked in the discredited banking industry, has been guilty of the most appalling ***ist comments and has, allegedly, attempted to hide the truth about diesel emissions as PM can be regarded as a 'breath of fresh air'.

Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)