+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot- May calls for election in June.

That is a fair comment! It is the cartoon character from which the name comes...

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Ram59 will probably accuse me of another 'love nest' but I totally agree KCG. Automation has to mean less jobs, it's something that's been happening for many years now - think bus conductors and supermarket check out staff as just two of the more obvious examples.
    The near full employment stat takes no account of those now doing jobs well below their ability and often on zero hours contracts. As a society we have some huge decisions to make...we have extended life expectancy but not necessarily quality of life and we have made many redundant via the implementation of technology.
    Well thats a simplistic view, because its not automation that has reduced jobs, its a decimation of "traditional" skilled high paid work that has gone over the last 3 decades - but your continuing an argument that started with the Luddites who destroyed machinery because it threatened jobs! Believe me there are many jobs available and too few people to fill them in many areas of the country, there is a reason we are dependent upon immigrant labour!

Life evolves and technology has changed things and unfortunately that isn't going to stop anytime soon, you may as well be King canute trying to hold back the sea!

In respect of those who are "underemployed" many of these have chosen to stay living in an area where the jobs they once had have gone and have not retrained, yes they may theoretically be capable of other jobs but the skills they have are no longer required.

The zero hours contracts is not actually that big an issue - yes its abused, mostly in low paid unskilled employment, but for many people it suits their way of life, again recruitment is actually very difficult in many areas, so automation does not mean fewer jobs, otherwise there would be millions unemployed and there isn't!

The dominant trend is of contracting employment in agriculture and manufacturing being more than offset by rapid growth in the caring, creative, technology and business services sectors.

Machines will take on more repetitive and laborious tasks, but seem no closer to eliminating the need for human labour than at any time in the last 150 years.

Unfortunately technology has been used to make the few richer and wealth creation has not been shared equally in any way, if it had and if pensions had been managed properly, then there wouldn't be an issue.

With respect Swale, I spent a lot of time working with less able school leavers from about 1979 onwards, and even then it was very noticeable that there was a real crisis as far as employment opportunities for such young people were concerned largely as a, direct or indirect, result of increased automation.

Your comments about zero hours contracts being not 'that big an issue', 'underemployment' and unwillingness to re-locate surprise me and while I can understand that it suits some, the fact that it is regularly abused suggests that neither you nor I would be happy with such employment conditions and makes you sound alarmingly Tebbit like. (I imagine that 'accusation' is a first).

I agree there is much to be grateful for in terms of technology but it is, imo, something of a two edged sword.

Got my bets on!! Won a few bob last two elections so fingers crossed. Forty on Labour to hold most seats at 14's. Yummy yummy!!
    Last edited by macstheman; 24-04-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Got my bets on!! Won a few bob last two elections so fingers crossed. Forty quid on Corbyn to be next PM at 17to2 and tenner on Labour to hold most seats at 14's. Yummy yummy!!
    Did you get that from your son mac? Insider information?

Looks like some ex post facto editting going on here... but even with £380 in your pocket Mac that will only pay your share of Corbyn style economic mismanagement for a day
    Last edited by roger_ramjet; 24-04-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Yes RR got it wrong way round!! Forty on Labour to win most seats and tenner on Corbyn to be PM!! Yes, he's banging some real brass on but he lays his bets off to give a safety net!! Don't understand it myself!!

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Looks like some ex post facto editting going on here... but even with £380 in your pocket Mac that will only pay your share of Corbyn style economic mismanagement for a day
    Could he be worse than the Tories? They have borrowed over £900B since 2010 and more than doubled the debt from £760B to over £1.6 TRILLION. What have we got to show for it: NHS, social care and public services falling apart, with the infrastructure crumbling.

Where has the money gone? It went to the rich in tax cuts and through QE. Their assets have increased on average by over £300,000.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    It's the same people who run the country whoever gets in. That is the Civil Service and the Establishment who will be there to implement and advise.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBasie View Post
    It's the same people who run the country whoever gets in. That is the Civil Service and the Establishment who will be there to implement and advise.
    So you're suggesting that there was no difference in philosophy between the Blair Governments of 1997-2007 and those of Major, Cameron and May. Sorry, but that, imo, really is rubbish.

Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)