+ Visit Charlton Athletic FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Red Robin ...

Red Red Robin ...

As a Swindon Robin I'm interested to know why you play The Red Red Robin song pre match?

Hello Gaz, I think it's tradition and is always used as the players run onto the pitch pre-game. It relates back to the Charlton nickname of 'Robins' since the 1930s and there was also an association with the crest before it was changed to the sword (though the club are known more by the nickname the Add1cks nowadays). Billy Cotton recorded a version of the song for Charlton after they won promotion to the then First Division in 1936 and he became a friend of the owners of the time, the Gliksten Brothers.

Thanks Valley, good of you to reply so informatively .

Always had have a fondness for Charlton as they donated you donated the 1/2 time raffle money to save our youth side which was being scrapped due to lack of funds.

Feel free to pop over to Swindon Mad and or England Mad for a chat with a mix of fans who are harmless but like a bit of bants

Id also like to agree with what Gaz has said Valley.
    I did used to post a bit more on here some years ago when it was a busier board. But anyway 'we' dont have any Charlton fans on England mad at the moment, so why dont you pop over and be the first one eh ? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by gaz1959 View Post
    Thanks Valley, good of you to reply so informatively .

Always had have a fondness for Charlton as they donated you donated the 1/2 time raffle money to save our youth side which was being scrapped due to lack of funds.

Feel free to pop over to Swindon Mad and or England Mad for a chat with a mix of fans who are harmless but like a bit of bants
    Hello Gaz

Thanks for your reply, I heard about the donation to your youth side at the time it was a worthy cause.

I am sorry that Swindon were relegated and will try and pay the County Ground a visit next season as I've never been there.

We're all twiddling our thumbs on the club boards now the season has ended so will definitely pop over to your board or England Mad at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Id also like to agree with what Gaz has said Valley.
    I did used to post a bit more on here some years ago when it was a busier board. But anyway 'we' dont have any Charlton fans on England mad at the moment, so why dont you pop over and be the first one eh ? lol.
    Thanks Acido, good to hear from you on here likewise as Gaz so will pay a visit to England Mad.

Well bring your sense of humour Valley, because we tend to muck about a lot on there lol.
    Im a Barnsley fan by the way, and have you noticed the co-incidence here, we & Charlton & Swindon all wear the almost identical red n white strip.

Come on you reds!!

Cheers Valley/ but we were doomed from the start of the season and the hardest bit was waiting til the end to get dumped but hey ho.

If you do want to visit the County Ground I'll be happy to have a beer or two and show the ropes lol

Hello Acido
    good to see you ;-)

Yes tahh Gaz, Im sure I know you from another board lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast