+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last night's meeting

Last night's meeting

I had been fairly sceptical about Mr. Eisner's bid for the club until last night. I think that last night showed to me that we have 2 distinct options for the club, 1) is to grub around Division 3 and Division 4 with an occasional sortie into the Championship and back again in a slowly crumbling ground or 2) we have to allow someone to come in and inject much needed investment to at the very least update the ground in respect of Health and Safety and I do believe that for anyone to do that they will want high if not probably total control of the club. I am disappointed that Mr. Eisner is determined that PST will not have representation on the board and quite frankly I did not follow his reasoning for this but on the other hand it does seem that Messrs Catlin and Cook will remain in situ which I believe is a very good thing. Overall Mr. Eisner's presentation was very slick, no more, no less than what you would expect from a former head of the Disney Corporation but there is no doubt that his pedigree stands up to scrutiny. Some of his plans for the club did seem a bit vague to me but I did like his reasoning for choosing Pompey in that he preferred to take underperforming businesses and turn them around than moving in to already successful concerns and there is no doubt that he has done that in the past. So to me it comes down to what I want for the club, which is an improved stadium, hopefully Fratton Park but if not a prestigious stadium that reflects the tradition and history of the club and not a relatively cheap flat pack stadium (naming no names), a successful team by whatever definition people want to apply to that, a successful academy and to continue our success in community work. As far as I can see it is extremely unlikely that with our current structure we could achieve all that so we therefore need outside investment. Watching Mr. Eisner last night he and his sons came across as genuine and I doubt very much that we will ever get anyone that is anywhere near his calibre to invest in the club so I have done an about turn and will be voting 'Yes' to the takeover. I would love to hear other views and where you think, if I have, I may have gone wrong.

I was very sceptical when ME's interest was announced and wanted official supporter representation on the board. But keeping Catlin was a major plus and after last nights meeting it was obvious that ME had taken on board alot of concerns. He really would be an idiot to ignore supporter's views - and his family would be as well.

But he knows how to promote and build businesses. Something that the current board know very little about. They 'missed a trick' with the monthly direct debit from fans idea by years. They either clearly don't think in a business way or were happy to sit back and enjoy owning a club. But I don't think we would last with the direct debit strategy. When League 1/Division 2 was renamed The Championship it was clearly a marketing ploy. Someone (Sky, BT, the EFL or whoever) is trying to turn The Championship into a marketable worldwide thing. It will take some time, but already the signs are there with wages and transfers as there are some big clubs in that division. For us - costs would go up and up, success would become less and less, crowds would go down and ultimately we would become unsustainable and go bust.

I've read a few articles about Eisner and noted that when he decides to leave or sell a business it goes to a new owner who is 'fit and proper' and carries on the success. He can't be responsible for who he sells on to but it looks like he tries his best. Hopefully his family think that way as well.

I think Eisner is the best bet. There seems to be a resistance to selling to anyone by some shareholders going by last nights audience. 'It's ower club and no one else can have it' they seem to be thinking - but going that way will kill it unless you want a park team to support.

Yes, Scarf, I also spotted that he would sell onwards to 'fit and proper' owners and who knows what the state of football will be like in this country in 10/20/30 years time, particularly the Premier League but I do believe that he and/or his sons would do their best to find a responsible owner. Personally I believe that the amount of television investment in the Premier League and the Champions League is unsustainable and then what happens next?

I shall be extremely sad at social events not to be able to respond to the question "Are you retired" with the reply "Yes, but I am a part-owner of a football league club" but I think that, in my opinion, in the interests of PFC I must relinquish that honour!!!!

Play up Pompey.

Quote Originally Posted by AlgernonPFC View Post
    Personally I believe that the amount of television investment in the Premier League and the Champions League is unsustainable and then what happens next?
    Some people have been saying that for years and yet it still keeps growing. I remember when mobile phones first came out and shops popped up selling solely phones. I thought it was laughable and wouldn't last - guess I was wrong!

Onward and as you say - Play Up Pompey. Would be incredible if we somehow got the title today.

Going to watch the 2000 Guineas then stroll up (from Southsea). I'll say hello to Daz, plus his gang, in the Crook delivering their tickets. They have been like gold dust for anyone who hasn't a ST or hadn't bought them before they ran out after 3 days. Then it will be a chat to FullBack and family for the last time till August, No Micks today for moi, a totally unsociable hour to eat around 5 ish. Maybe a 4 o'clockers biscuit or "curly wurly" like Matelots would have, that's a thoroughly English idea. However not withstanding the kick off time I am looking forward to the game, we can cheer Pompey on for sure while no doubt knowing what is going on at Grimsby and Hartlepool too. P.U.P.

Quote Originally Posted by PompeyScarf View Post
    I think Eisner is the best bet. There seems to be a resistance to selling to anyone by some shareholders going by last nights audience. 'It's ower club and no one else can have it' they seem to be thinking - but going that way will kill it unless you want a park team to support.
    Great post, He'll be getting my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by AlgernonPFC View Post
    Yes, Scarf, I also spotted that he would sell onwards to 'fit and proper' owners and who knows what the state of football will be like in this country in 10/20/30 years time, particularly the Premier League but I do believe that he and/or his sons would do their best to find a responsible owner. Personally I believe that the amount of television investment in the Premier League and the Champions League is unsustainable and then what happens next?

I shall be extremely sad at social events not to be able to respond to the question "Are you retired" with the reply "Yes, but I am a part-owner of a football league club" but I think that, in my opinion, in the interests of PFC I must relinquish that honour!!!!

Play up Pompey.
    I wish you well whatever you do in the next stage of your retirement

Quote Originally Posted by lovedeanblue View Post
    Going to watch the 2000 Guineas then stroll up (from Southsea). I'll say hello to Daz, plus his gang, in the Crook delivering their tickets. They have been like gold dust for anyone who hasn't a ST or hadn't bought them before they ran out after 3 days. Then it will be a chat to FullBack and family for the last time till August, No Micks today for moi, a totally unsociable hour to eat around 5 ish. Maybe a 4 o'clockers biscuit or "curly wurly" like Matelots would have, that's a thoroughly English idea. However not withstanding the kick off time I am looking forward to the game, we can cheer Pompey on for sure while no doubt knowing what is going on at Grimsby and Hartlepool too. P.U.P.
    Did you bump into Eisner? Will hopefully get to more games next season.

Yes I was chatting to Daz and his gang outside the Crook around 4 p.m and he appeared agreeing to loads of selfies with our fans who were already by then in good voice. Good PR I thought by him but I wish he would procure a decent baseball cap rather than LA (Dodgers).

Maybe plain blue. He couldn't wear a Pompey one though, would've been a tad presumptuous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)