+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Fletcher Scenario

Ask ourselves if the total of his wages would be worth it over the course of the whole season ? (and some fans might have already mentioned this as an example)
    We know what Ash is all about and if we played to his strengths and he got 10+ goals and helped towards us staying up for another season at least, surely the money coming from that would go well towards the outlay on his wages.
    I dont like the idea of breaking the bank for one player and I would hope it wont cause unrest with the players we've got on less money. But if Ash and Wet Spam are happy with him coming here for the season, Id say we should make the effort and pay the 7k a week.

Yeah but in grand scheme of things Matty James did naff all Animal. Where as Fletcher contributed to our first cup final win in 104 years and a promotion. That's if it's where you're drawing your comparison mate

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Ask ourselves if the total of his wages would be worth it over the course of the whole season ? (and some fans might have already mentioned this as an example)
    We know what Ash is all about and if we played to his strengths and he got 10+ goals and helped towards us staying up for another season at least, surely the money coming from that would go well towards the outlay on his wages.
    I dont like the idea of breaking the bank for one player and I would hope it wont cause unrest with the players we've got on less money. But if Ash and Wet Spam are happy with him coming here for the season, Id say we should make the effort and pay the 7k a week.
    You know what acido I'd take the risk on him doing the business and our senior players accepting his wages if I thought we could sign him permanently .

The fact that he'd be on double bubble and not our player doesn't sit right with me , especially given he's unproven at this level .

Just out of curiosity does anybody know what we are paying any of our players, for instance mowatt must be on a quite high wage even with a pay cut he wouldnt have signed for that much difference surely.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    You know what acido I'd take the risk on him doing the business and our senior players accepting his wages if I thought we could sign him permanently. The fact that he'd be on double bubble and not our player doesn't sit right with me , especially given he's unproven at this level .
    Woohh thats opened up a new can of worms there Animal lol.
    It has crossed my mind as well that what if we do have him on loan, and if he does really well, wont it be hard for us saying goodbye to him when he goes back to his 'parent club' all over again.
    So what are the chances of this being made permanant ? I just cant see it but I really rate the kid and it would be brilliant if we could agree to that.
    And by the way I might have been a bit harsh on him last night when I suggested hes probably not given us a minutes thought since the play off final.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevthetyke View Post
    Just out of curiosity does anybody know what we are paying any of our players, for instance mowatt must be on a quite high wage even with a pay cut he wouldnt have signed for that much difference surely.
    I've no idea personally mate other than Hammill was or still is our top earner .

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Woohh thats opened up a new can of worms there Animal lol.
    It has crossed my mind as well that what if we do have him on loan, and if he does really well, wont it be hard for us saying goodbye to him when he goes back to his 'parent club' all over again.
    So what are the chances of this being made permanant ? I just cant see it but I really rate the kid and it would be brilliant if we could agree to that.
    And by the way I might have been a bit harsh on him last night when I suggested hes probably not given us a minutes thought since the play off final.

It never looked the greatest move when he joined the Hammers , he was and clearly still is well short of the ability to cut it at PL level .

He's still very raw in my opinion but having said that he would benefit greatly by stepping down a level to a smaller club such as ourselves who will put more effort and time into getting the best out of the ability he has .

These lads go to PL clubs but they seem in my opinion just a shirt number , they have so much money the effort and the time doesn't go into their development as much as it does here , sink or swim is the gist of it .

Confidence is huge and it can take a beating at PL clubs for young lads and they can easily feel undervalued .

We give them a chance and put the necessary in and try and get them improving , that's what we do .

The lad has got ability there's no doubt about that and if anyone can get him to perform and improve then it's us .

What do we all think a Fletcher & Bradshaw partnership might do as 2 up front ?
    Maybe one could help out and bring out the best in the other etc, and thats what we always want to see with strike partnerships.

I know we as a club have got a growing reputation these days as a great nurturing club, one where a player from the lower leagues can come to and learn great things until he obviously wants to move onto something bigger and better.
    Im sort of proud of that but it pees me off all the same, it makes me feel like we're looked at as a stepping stone for some players who see the pound signs all of a sudden and cant wait to leave.

We need a spark up top , badly , Hecky needs a rabbit out of his top hat .

I'll tell you now if this doesn't happen we are going to struggle .

As time ticks on towards the first game it's worrying that we haven't at least another striker in , two would be sweet .

A fortnight to go , let's hope we get a couple in this week .

After the snake went , Watkins saw his contract out and Armstrong went back to Newcastle I thought we may have given this area our best effort considering how Hecky likes to play .

Very worrying that we haven't landed the targets as yet and I sincerely hope we don't end up with just squad fodder , anybody is better than nowt so to speak and a panic decision .

I mentioned on here at the end of June, that the pre-season is here at last and surely we know what our targets are.
    But I cant believe that 3 weeks on we are STILL wanting that striker we need. I did think we would have somebody in place for the game at Rotherham on the 29th.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast