+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some posters

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    Correct pboro team spirit and togetherness don't mean phuck all in the premiership.

Let's have a poll as to what current player has you on the edge of your seat and the hairs on the back of your neck stick up everytime they have the ball

My answer None
    Aye, it would be something if we could pick up a budding Cabaye, Ginola or Robert or even a ben Arfa who could be taken from early in his career and channelled in the right direction. That along with a certain amount of team spirit would hold us in good stead.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Aye, it would be something if we could pick up a budding Cabaye, Ginola or Robert or even a ben Arfa who could be taken from early in his career and channelled in the right direction. That along with a certain amount of team spirit would hold us in good stead.
    Would be nice to have someone that got the whole crowd on their toes but none of the current squad do that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    we aren't talking about when they left we are talking abouth when they were here
    In which case I'm a bit confused - if our side was stocked with top 15 players, why did we finish in the bottom 3?

I think you're romanticising the quality of those players to be honest - Colo was finished by the time we went into that final season, both physically and mentally. And even if he was better than Lascelles was then, he wasn't better than Lascelles is now, because he wasn't as strong or as mobile as Lascelles and he was far more error prone. Sure, he could possibly read the game better, experience will do that for you, but what good is it being able to read well if your back is too ****ed to pick up a book?

And you say a few of them went to top half team (2 - Wijnaldum and Sissoko) and that maybe 2 of ours would at present. That's the same number mate, so it doesn't serve your argument at all. And nobody who knew anything about Sissoko thought that he was actually good enough to go to a top side, and it turns out that was true. I think most of us grudgingly accepted Wijnaldum could do it in a better team.

What I do agree with you on is that I don't think we have a player in our side who is at Wijnaldum's standard, which means that our players now fall within a bit of a bell curve. I don't think our worst players are any worse than those who took us down - they are, in some cases, the very same players - but our best players aren't as good. The overall standard is possibly slightly higher for our first 11 in spite of this, in that we have players who are a bit more disciplined in sticking to their task (like Ritchie over Sissoko, Gayle over Cisse). And I think we're adding a little more experience and quality to our cover by signing players like Manquillo (Mbabu was our only cover at RB the season we went down). It's painfully slow progress, and I can understand anyone being frustrated by that when you see what other sides are doing and have done since we were last in the PL, but I think you and TerryMac are totally misguided if you think it was a bunch of PL quality players that took us into the Championship and a bunch of Championship quality players that brought us back into the PL.

Would be nice to have someone that got the whole crowd on their toes but none of the current squad do that for me.
    Would you have Ben Arfa back?

Correct pboro team spirit and togetherness don't mean phuck all in the premiership.

Let's have a poll as to what current player has you on the edge of your seat and the hairs on the back of your neck stick up everytime they have the ball

My answer None

team spirit and togetherness won leicister the premier league title!

Quote Originally Posted by ranat22 View Post
    👏👏

they had some decent players to be fare
    solid back 4 a couple of goal scorers and top lad who went on to win the title again with chelsea

we have at best 2-3 players that would amake atop 10-15 team

I personally think it was important to get the poison out of the squad and let anyone with the wrong attitude leave. That seems to be done but I have to agree that we're missing a lot of quality. I think we have a decent spine but we're missing some key positions.
    Central midfield could use some help, our number 10 is still up in the air (is it Perez, Diame or De Jong?) 1 up front good enough to get us through the season? Left back is still not sorted and the signings we've brought in seem to be squad players.

Have to agree with pboro that not many of our players are wanted by our competition which means that we're clearly missing some quality. A few first team players can fix all that though.

Apparently teams/success are built by names and skill... Not work ethic, team spirit, hard work and cohesion.

Spot on post Andy1981.

FFS you could put a bad spin on anything in life, which is exactly what you're doing when you're criticising the manager, players and their achievements tbh.

Fwiw I think we've got a couple of special players in the making tbh.. Shelvey is excellent on his day and if he can be the man consistently then don't be surprised to see him in the England team and getting plaudits. I see him excelling against better opposition.

Lescelles I know some see him as a bit of a liability at times but I think this lad can really go all the way as our captain. He's not a Bramble, this lads the real deal, again I see him excelling against Prem teams. He'll only keep on improving.

Gayle I hear a lot of people talking about a striker (we do need one) but not to bench Gayle in my opinion, we need one to challenge/partner him... I think people are forgetting he was our main man last season fizzy pop or not.
    He's our number 9, Rafa knew what that meant when he signed him and played him as our lone striker, I think people are under-estimating how much Rafa rates him tbh. He's paid and played to score goals, he does, end of. I think a fair few will be surprised with his goal tally (if we have a decent season, which I believe we will). Watch.

DeJong is another player who can change a game but through visions, pass and touch rather than dribbling ability and speed... He could definitely be our locksmith next season, I hope he stays fit.

I agree though, none of the above are the type of player mentioned, we need a player that gets you standing up "go on", someone who can skin players with pace and guile, a spark even when you're sinking underwater... Ben Arfa was that guy at times but I'd never have him back now though, he simply has not got the right attitude for our team.

My realistic choice for a maverick? Adama Troare... I really think Benitez could get the best out of the lad.

Realistically who would you lot want us to buy to make the "difference"?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)