+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some posters

Quote Originally Posted by Andy1981_2 View Post
    Would you have Ben Arfa back?
    Ben Arfa was a game changer and really exciting to watch you could hear the crowd roar everytime he got the ball.

I wouldn't have him back because of his attitude but another player like him I would love to see at the Toon.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernRock View Post
    Apparently teams/success are built by names and skill... Not work ethic, team spirit, hard work and cohesion.

Spot on post Andy1981.

FFS you could put a bad spin on anything in life, which is exactly what you're doing when you're criticising the manager, players and their achievements tbh.

Fwiw I think we've got a couple of special players in the making tbh.. Shelvey is excellent on his day and if he can be the man consistently then don't be surprised to see him in the England team and getting plaudits. I see him excelling against better opposition.

Lescelles I know some see him as a bit of a liability at times but I think this lad can really go all the way as our captain. He's not a Bramble, this lads the real deal, again I see him excelling against Prem teams. He'll only keep on improving.

Gayle I hear a lot of people talking about a striker (we do need one) but not to bench Gayle in my opinion, we need one to challenge/partner him... I think people are forgetting he was our main man last season fizzy pop or not.
    He's our number 9, Rafa knew what that meant when he signed him and played him as our lone striker, I think people are under-estimating how much Rafa rates him tbh. He's paid and played to score goals, he does, end of. I think a fair few will be surprised with his goal tally (if we have a decent season, which I believe we will). Watch.

DeJong is another player who can change a game but through visions, pass and touch rather than dribbling ability and speed... He could definitely be our locksmith next season, I hope he stays fit.

I agree though, none of the above are the type of player mentioned, we need a player that gets you standing up "go on", someone who can skin players with pace and guile, a spark even when you're sinking underwater... Ben Arfa was that guy at times but I'd never have him back now though, he simply has not got the right attitude for our team.

My realistic choice for a maverick? Adama Troare... I really think Benitez could get the best out of the lad.

Realistically who would you lot want us to buy to make the "difference"?
    so you say we have 2 decent players and a probable
    I agree if gayle gets the service he could score a few

but where is that quality sevice coming from

the new lad looked hopeless Saturday and I really feel the size of the crowd and the fact he is a toon supporter etc etc will get to him

it did Saturday he looked out of his depth agains PNE

shelveey can ping a ball but he wont get time in the prem ,the clever managers who put a man on hi, had him playing on our 18 yard line ,which wont be good for our back 4 .and when he is under pressure again like the good mangers did last season his passes more often than not go astray Norwich away for instance .

and we don't have many hard tacklers and we don't have anyone who can break the game up and de jong to me just needs to much time on the ball

sorry for sounding negative
    but everyone and I mean everyone at the end of last season and us going up and with rafa being given assurances would not have thought we would be ware we are now with the players we have brought in

for **** sake we are even being linked to another muppet from hull

I sometimes wonder if rafa knows we went up last season

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    I agree if gayle gets the service he could score a few

but where is that quality sevice coming from...

shelveey can ping a ball but he wont get time in the prem ,the clever managers who put a man on hi, had him playing on our 18 yard line ,which wont be good for our back 4 .and when he is under pressure again like the good mangers did last season his passes more often than not go astray Norwich away for instance .
    This is the problem - we were one-dimensional last season, so it needs to change this season i.e. we need creative outlets other than Shelvey. There are some reasons to be more positive though. For one, it's clear we've attempted to add width in Murphy, and I wouldn't write him off based on half a pre-season friendly. We also have Aarons as an option this season (at the moment, until another injury strikes). De Jong may be considered an option too, but the jury is very much out on him. We desperately need someone sitting alongside Shelvey in the middle who can free him up to do his thing, and someone to clean up after him when it goes wrong 9 out of 10 times. Delph and Acquah would be two great purchases on that front.

Also, Sam Clucas isn't that bad mate - I have some connections to Hull, so have seen him a fair bit. He's a real grafter, which is the type of player Rafa's (defensive) system needs. Can play at LB too, so might even be an alternative for Dummett. He won't offer much by way of creativity though, so isn't the solution to the problem above.

See now we're talking straight.

I agree that we're one dimensional and I see where Peterborough is coming from but I still think you're not giving our current players enough credit, they can only beat what's in front of them and they did that consistently.

I think once Murphys settled he'll start showing what he's about, lets not forget we've got Aarons and Ritchie on the wings who I think both know how to cross a ball and score a goal, that's not a bad set of wingers at all (still think we need another one though).

Shelvey has already played in the Prem and done well in a decent Swansea team but if he's the focal point of our play I see him doing really well against top opposition, I rate him very highly, admittedly he needs to be on it for a full 90 and those hollywood passes should have their time and place.

Mbemba knows how to tackle and Lejuene is supposed to be good at breaking up play as well, going back to Lescelles I think he's a very good reader of the game and for a young lad he organises the defence competently.

I think we did rely too heavily on Shelvey and we missed him when he was suspended, we need more pace and creativity in our side, but Benitez knows that, he built a team to win the Championship now he needs to mould it into a good Prem team and I personally think he's only 2 or 3 away from doing that, anymore and it will be a bonus for me.

I see us counter-attacking a lot and that means we need more pace in the team, I know Yedlins rapid and Murphy/Aarons are quick but we need it from both angles, hence why I'd like the lad from Middlesbrough in, I think he'd definitely add another dimension to our game and don't be surprised if it happens late on in the summer.

I think we did have certain individuals in the last team who were at a higher standard but overall I think our squad is better/more balanced now and they've certainly got a better spirit amongst them now, team effort and plan is much more solid and consistent so as a TEAM i'd say we're better equipped this time round.

Don't get me wrong though, I want to see more signings and I want them to be top quality, but don't assume because a lads come from Norwich and Elber that they're not gonna be what we need, a bit uninspiring yeah but Rafa is good at building teams and selecting the right players in that system... I'm sure Liverpool fans weren't happy with a fair few of his but most did they're job in the system he established and that is what really makes a difference, not individuals.

I thought Kuyt was shyte but he was one of Benitez's favourite players and for good reason.

When you think about it, how many mavericks did he have in that Liverpool team barring Torres?

Bump

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)