+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 103 of 231 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 2306

Thread: Ex-Dons

The version I heard involved a legacy rather than a pools win, but it was broadly similar.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    The version I heard involved a legacy rather than a pools win, but it was broadly similar.
    According to Wikipedia “... after openly considering retirement from football, and making false claims to have inherited money, he joined Aberdeen before being sold to St Mirren in part exchange for Peter Weir ... “.

Weir’s legacy was, however, very real and enduring - great deal for Aberdeen!

Unpopular move at the time.

Scan the man for “get up yer wing” Weir

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Unpopular move at the time.

Scan the man for “get up yer wing” Weir
    Oh I dunno, unpopular?
    Weir had already been capped I think and didnae take long to settle.
    He was certainly on my radar before he signed and I pegged it as an upgrade fairly quick.
    Any doubts about him were wholly assuaged in the Ipswich game which was only months after he signed (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    Oh I dunno, unpopular?
    Weir had already been capped I think and didnae take long to settle.
    He was certainly on my radar before he signed and I pegged it as an upgrade fairly quick.
    Any doubts about him were wholly assuaged in the Ipswich game which was only months after he signed (I think).
    Yip. Signed in the summer and we played Ipswich in the first round of the UEFA Cup I think so some start to his career with us

That was indeed a great night.

Back in the days when they used to allow people in to see fitba matches.

Not that the next generation will be able to imagine why that was good.
    Cold and having to be beside people you didn’t know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f0i4uxQoFE
    Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    That was indeed a great night.

Back in the days when they used to allow people in to see fitba matches.

Not that the next generation will be able to imagine why that was good.
    Cold and having to be beside people you didn’t know.
    That Ipswich game ranks alongside Bayern for me. Ipswich, the darlings of English football against us. Peter Weir absolutely destroyed Mick Mills that night. Bobby Robson and the English press couldn’t believe it. We did believe and we absolutely battered the tractor boys. Link attached for auld buggers.

The first time I saw Weir in our colours was in the pre-season tournament where he looked promising in both games, and scored against West Ham. He got another against Airdrie in the League Cup a couple of weeks later. Nowadays, we'd be carrying him aroon in a sedan chair as a sign of his status, and to protect those slightly-weak tendons, whilst ensuring that his seat in the dressing room was upholstered in the finest oriental silk, stuffed with the softest swan down (if you can ever get the fuuckers out of the sky to pluck them, like).

Trivia of little importance: Peter, Mary and the loons (one born on 20 December 83 when we made history by becoming the only Scottish club to win a second Euro trophy) were my next-door neighbours when I moved to the current Vintage Acres in March 88. The boy himsel was a Leicester City player by then, and they moved sooth a few weeks after I bought this dump. Nice people on the few occasions we swapped greetings over the fence.

F’uckin landed gentry.

You can add Danny Rodgers to this list. Just tweeted he is leaving AFC.

Page 103 of 231 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast