+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 113 of 231 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 2310

Thread: Ex-Dons

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    The problem here is that most teuchters only really left the village of Aberdeen in the 80s to visit Glasgow, so still have this Rab C Nesbit vision of the place. You’ll probably find that Weegie based dons fans that havent been in Aberdeen since the 80s, are still under the impression it’s a vibrant clean city rolling in cash, rather than the depressing jake ball infested pound shop look it sports today.

I’m happy to offer advice to any traveller wanting dazzled by the bright lights of the uks greatest city.
    Aberdeen city centre is a sh1tehole, you’re right.
    As is Glasgow.
    Sauchiehall Street, Argyle Street & Union Street are horrendous.
    Litter everywhere, homeless folk everywhere.
    A complete dump & run down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    The problem here is that most teuchters only really left the village of Aberdeen in the 80s to visit Glasgow, so still have this Rab C Nesbit vision of the place. You’ll probably find that Weegie based dons fans that havent been in Aberdeen since the 80s, are still under the impression it’s a vibrant clean city rolling in cash, rather than the depressing jake ball infested pound shop look it sports today.

I’m happy to offer advice to any traveller wanting dazzled by the bright lights of the uks greatest city.
    Having been born and raised in Aberdeen, spent four years living in Glasgow over two separate stints and now living in neither, I feel well-placed to mount a critique of 'the uks [sic] greatest city' and those who inhabit it. The place itself is fine enough, plenty nice swathes of green parkland, the rugged banks of the Kelvin, some cracking architecture, a plethora of decent boozers. Much of this finery is largely undone by its citizens, however, imbued with one the planet's nippiest and most unfortunate accents, right up there with the scousers, at times incomprehensible... which is probably just as well as 90% of the content is filtered through the tedious prism of the old firm, the remaining 10% a vaguely annoying attempt at good-natured bonhomie, an inbred 'humour' with its very own self-appointed name, 'the Glasgow patter'. Anyone beset by the misfortune to have been subjected to this will know it is wholly unacceptable and will go out of their way never to repeat the crude experience. There does exist the odd exception to the rule, of course (Mason89 himself is one of the good ones) but still the above is an inescapable truth and provides good reason to avoid the place as much as possible. The odd visit can be enjoyable but the palpable sense of relief that inevitably accompanies leaving speaks volumes.

UK cities are all s’hiteholes.

There are some nice enough smaller towns but the cities have been f’ucked over big time.

The centre of Edinburgh is nice enough but in general we have allowed the junkies to rule in city centres.

A fair assessment Jannie although I feel you’re on slightly dodgy ground commenting on people’s behaviour in Glasgow pubs. I wonder if during his quieter moments, Neil Lennon reflects upon the moment he was randomly abused by someone with a Weegie twang on his North East accent?

As for Junkies DD, I can help but feel they get a bad press, although admittedly some of it they bring upon themselves. Junkies are not really any bother. Pish heads are a million times worse

Quote Originally Posted by jannie_versace View Post
    Having been born and raised in Aberdeen, spent four years living in Glasgow over two separate stints and now living in neither, I feel well-placed to mount a critique of 'the uks [sic] greatest city' and those who inhabit it. The place itself is fine enough, plenty nice swathes of green parkland, the rugged banks of the Kelvin, some cracking architecture, a plethora of decent boozers. Much of this finery is largely undone by its citizens, however, imbued with one the planet's nippiest and most unfortunate accents, right up there with the scousers, at times incomprehensible... which is probably just as well as 90% of the content is filtered through the tedious prism of the old firm, the remaining 10% a vaguely annoying attempt at good-natured bonhomie, an inbred 'humour' with its very own self-appointed name, 'the Glasgow patter'. Anyone beset by the misfortune to have been subjected to this will know it is wholly unacceptable and will go out of their way never to repeat the crude experience. There does exist the odd exception to the rule, of course (Mason89 himself is one of the good ones) but still the above is an inescapable truth and provides good reason to avoid the place as much as possible. The odd visit can be enjoyable but the palpable sense of relief that inevitably accompanies leaving speaks volumes.
    Nice bit of writing that .

Now how about your assesment of Aberdeen City Centre ?

The last time I walked up Union Street, (just after the council had f’ucked it up completely)
    There were only 3 brands of life.

Junkies
    Seagulls ( well seagull s’hite really)
    Folk standing in a queue for Primark

I don’t know which was the biggest tourist attraction, but it’s still better than Glezga

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Your pint is assured.

Don’t know about the making things up though.
    Great book
    Where he was from for a start. He wanted to be protrayed as some Highlander. He was of course a nigel born and bred.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    The last time I walked up Union Street, (just after the council had f’ucked it up completely)
    There were only 3 brands of life.

Junkies
    Seagulls ( well seagull s’hite really)
    Folk standing in a queue for Primark

I don’t know which was the biggest tourist attraction, but it’s still better than Glezga
    It sounds exactly like Glasgow.
    Only the weegies are generally fat cun*s that like queuing to get in a Greggs in the pishing rain.
    Always thought that odd behaviour.... standing in the pishing rain to eat chicken a*sehole.

In years to come as folk WFH & offices don’t exist in the size & amount we have just now, city centres will be ghost towns.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    It sounds exactly like Glasgow.
    Only the weegies are generally fat cun*s that like queuing to get in a Greggs in the pishing rain.
    Always thought that odd behaviour.... standing in the pishing rain to eat chicken a*sehole.

In years to come as folk WFH & offices don’t exist in the size & amount we have just now, city centres will be ghost towns.
    You make the common mistake of describing Glasgow by the prism of Sauchiehall Street (pre fire), etc. There's other areas. Like Aberdeen where not everyone is a tink. The food, gig, music and art scene are infinitely better and pre covid, banking seemed to be taking over the city centre.

The thing with Glasgow is that you go from a nice area to a **** hole to a nice area to a **** hole.

I've worked in the area for the last 15yrs, lived there for 6yrs. I'm glad I don't live there now but I'm glad I'm nearby.

I like the "patter" but I also hate some of it.

It shouldn't be defined by two teams that play there. Most of the dicks that cling on to that are from out with the city itself. Most folk get on regardless of their religion, etc. It's not always the case in rural Ayrshire or Lanarkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    The ghost/haunted tour organisers will make a killing (pun intended) . Every cloud and all that.

Page 113 of 231 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast